Daihatsu INDONESIA Masters 2019 : Qualification-FINAL (22-27 January)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 21, 2019.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Upset and tragic described in singles category, what a tournament. The underdog Anders Antonsen turns on-paper prediction to conquer world number one Kento Momota, the similar circumstances for what happened in Guangzhou Finals. Momota is highly favourite considering his performance to tackle Ginting and Axelsen convincingly but can't pass fourth Danish player in final. Antonsen did very good job to display excellent net play and strong defense to counter attack Momota. The Japanese looks tense, producing unforced errors and knows that his opponent had read and learn his tactic well. It's not easy to be world number one, being a target man in every tournament. Tragic ending for Carolina Marin, having superb start 9-3 then gets leg injury to force her to retire. She still scores one point to 10-4 before leaving the arena with crying and limping foot. Hopefully no terrible injury and will come back in All England, finger crossed.

Doubles disciplines have predictable ending, all of them defend their crown here successfully. Matsutomo/Takahashi beat surprising finalists Kim SY/Kong HY with two quick games, the Koreans delivered good fight in opening game to break Japanese rhythm with fast attacking style but losing narrowly, 19-21. Back to back Super 500 title for Indonesian hotshots, Gideon/Sukamuljo, they're unstoppable and hard for the veterans to balance their younger compatriots fast paced movement. Last chapter for the legendary Liliyana Natsir to play international tournament, the Indonesians blow away bright prospect to seal the match when leading 18-14 in second game, the Chinese best combination come back stronger to force deciding game and continue the momentum to top podium once again, 19-21 / 21-19 / 21-16.

The organizer should hire the MC with better English, his pronounciation and grammar are so messed up.

BWF World Tour will move to Europe next month, started from Barcelona Spain Masters Super 300.

kwun, Anks, ah_lim and 5 others like this.
  2. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Head to Head for ZYL against LN is good (13-7), against Xu/Ma (23-3, quiet astonishing) and only JFC/CP have better h2h against ZN/ZYL (11-9). Also, I think ZYL was more dominating in XD rather than at WD in early stage. For WD, at that time , WXL/YY were miles apart from other competitors. Later, she and QT closed the gap between WXL/YY

3. minions

minions Regular Member

Quite a shocking turn of events here.

MS - AA won his first ever SS/WT500+ title. He did it by beating KM. Wow! He will be a huge threat in the future. The top players need to be careful of him, especially KM and VA.
    WS - CM is injured again. Too bad. I hope she is okay. Getting an injury does no good for her. It may be difficult for her to come back. Congrats to SN for the title. It has been so long since she won SS title in 2016. Though she is not young anymore, she still has quality as top player.
    MD - Minions always impress me. They can't stop winning the title. Ahsan/ Hendra are doing great throughout this tournament, but minions totally outclass them in Final. Superb!
    WD - As usual, TakaMatsu are the saving grace for Japan. While many JPN players fail to deliver good results, they are usually the ones who win the title. Well done!
    XD - Owi/Butet lose today. Not an ideal result for Butet to close her career perfectly. But, they gave everything they can. Zheng/Huang are just simply better. The CHN pair are too tough to beat.

4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes i think 2 shocking events is AA Victory and Marin's injury.

antssantss likes this.
  5. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Biggest upset of this tournament is MS final.

Just like the Malaysian players, The Danish players showed better results after freeing themselves from their national association.:D Could be just all coincidental.

Poor AA was on his own all this time, during the preparations, intervals and even in celebration. When he actually won the match he didn't even know whom to turn to, basically he had no one to share his overflowing joy and delight except the audience who happened to be there.

Well deserved victory for this young man.

ah_lim, mohans and galaxyduo like this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Apologize to Ahmad for this, but even BWF had formed their conclusion of today's match review in their article:

"Liliyana Natsir was denied the perfect farewell gift to her accomplished international career as she and Tontowi Ahmad went down to China’s Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong, 19-21 21-19 21-16.

Zheng and Huang might thank their lucky stars, for Ahmad was wasteful in blowing a number of sure winners. That the Indonesians kept it going into the third game was largely due to Natsir, who was unflappable at the net, and getting the better of her opposite number Huang Yaqiong. Still, with Ahmad faltering ever so often, the third game quickly went out of their grasp. It wasn’t the kind of farewell performance Natsir would have hoped for."

Source: https://bwfworldtour.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2019/01/27/antonsen-steps-up-indonesia-masters/

8. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

i think the biggest upset in this tournament is out of billion people, they had to pick that MC, terrible grammar and pronunciation

Anks, sautom88 and ebcd like this.
  9. minions

minions Regular Member

Natsir is a living legend. Even when she is at the end of her career, she still show herself as one of the best XD player. InInsonesia, she is irreplacable. INA XD greatly misses her.

Now, to the other INA XDs, WAKE UP! No more Natsir as your guardian and saving grace. It is time for you to procude good results. It is not an easy task though.

Anks likes this.
  10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Hahaha. dont know how man.

and the MC got to sit with the girls.

hashdam likes this.
  11. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    YPY added to the list... So, as we have recalled 5 players have had a major injury playing against saina. Is this way too common while playing against other top WS players as well? The look on Saina's face today when she saw marin on the floor, in pain was sorta 'Oh no, not again!'

Anks likes this.
  12. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Damn. Opened Youtube and saw a 25min WS final :confused:
    Not a Marin fan but hope she'll be fit for next month.

Butet so bossed it at the net! A pity her partner couldn't really deliver at game 3. Still a great way to retire! Amazing sportsmanship! Class all the way!

Anks likes this.
  13. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    I think SN knows very well what to do to make her opponent in an injury prone position.

I feel like reediting the Dangeous Song by MJ on SN, other gals be like -:

"The moment I walked on the court,Saw Saina playin her shots,
    The way she moved,She stared I knew shes up to somethin much more and above,
    She has injured 5 Gals already,As I think is there anythin to worry ?
    Cuz the Gal is Bad,
    The Gal is Dangeous"

SN is officially the "MJ Dangeous" Gal of Badminton probably the only player which has made the highest number of gals go injure.

14. Anks

Anks Regular Member

So I Guess TTY will stay at No.1 CM is gona be No.2 and PVS gona stay at No.3 and NO at No.4 in the upcoming rankings wonder whats wrong with AY though any injuries with her ?

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think AY is not injured but simply the way she plays, she looks like she is afraid of injury or saving herself not to get injured. I dont know if one can continue playing that way as well.

and the way i see, even Nehwal is more fit than AY / NO now.

Anks likes this.
  16. Anks

Anks Regular Member

That will definitely good for longer run..I think PVS and AY are two player who i have never heard of any major injury *Touchwood* and I think thats one of the reason PVS is the queen of majors and so consistent with her performance.

And I think SN and LXR have taken their lessons of not being too aggresive and pushy to limits or it could probably mean a dead end for career.

I think CM for sure will take lessons from this injury to not to be always agile and quick more than your body can handle.

In this department TTY is exception she doesnt move fast but her deception compensates for agility and thats what not only CM but other top gals should take lessons for.

17. minions

minions Regular Member

You can check up at the world ranking. You can calculate the points they will get. You are right that CM will move to rank 2. Both NO and PVS will drop one rank to number 3 and 4 respectively. Nevertheless, the point gap between them is so close. One early exit can be really costly.

About AY, her performance overall isn't really great since last year. She has to fix whatever shortcomings she might have or else it will be difficult for her to produce great results.

Anks likes this.
  18. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I was surprised none of the other players were sitting in today. Maybe AA said no thx.

VA was there to talk to him before the match and warm him up before coming on TV court. I think he had to leave to catch a plane, (or avoid attention I don't know). VS was the centre of the player/federation conflict initially, so its a bit awkward.

Sent from my StringLab using TapaTalk.

Cheers,
    FeatherBlaster

19. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I just hope i get to see AY like i used to fast and quick but not as fast and quick that she may injure herself as CM did.

This game is tricky and agility comes at a cost of risk involvin career ending injury and all top gals LXR,SN,CM have faced it so I guess now as long as they give their enough wih their mind tactics its good enough.

20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    wt 500/750/1000/wc/wtf title count (2 out of 17 tournaments):

japan - 3
    indonesia - 2
    china/denmark/india/korea/thailand - 1