Footwork steps or chasee

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by John chen, Feb 10, 2019.

1. John chen

John chen New Member

should I use steps of chase more often? I was taught to play with steps more because it is faster, but the pros don’t often use steps in their games. What’s the better choice and when to use either?

2. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

To me chase are only used when coming back from the net or the sides.
    By chase I mean legs not crossing and both feet following the same line.
    Everything else is typical badminton footwork that I find closer to steps than chase. Coming back from hitting the shuttle is either chase or steps (steps when going forward and chase when going sideways or backward)

Look up for basic badminton 6 corners footwork and you will see what are the steps that you are supposed to follow.

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

You've opened the can of worms that is FOOTWORK!

The answer to your question is (as footwork questions often result in) - it depends. You need to be able to use both, but the guiding principle for retrieval is that chasse steps are used for shorter distances and steps are using for longer distances. The reason why pros use so many chasse steps is because 1) they play a very flat game and 2) they can move very far in a single chasse step (for example, Chou Tien Chen being able to jump from base position to a rearcourt corner in one jump/step!).

So if you have played a x-court smash from the back and you need to run the diagonal for a tight block return, you will need running steps. If you need to get to the same corner after you are fully recovered in the centre of the court having played a crosscourt clear, you are probably best using a chasse step.

Recovery footwork is different - often players will choose either chasse or walking steps back to the middle - this is generally a preference, but the importance here is that you are able to prepare yourself for the next shot in a well-timed, balanced split step in a good base position whichever method you use.

shadishv, Gollum, LenaicM and 2 others like this.