Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for this

2. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

Another point, in the heat of the moment, you sometimes try to use too much of your wrist (especially in the front/middle court).

See this video at 16:30 and the wrong examples they provide, which looks really similar to you:

You should lead with your elbow to reach as high as possible, then pronate. What you are doing sometimes is that you "extend/push your forearm" instead

#402 Ffly, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I haven’t been able to play for a while because of a snow storm and then the super bowl. Yesterday though I was able to play 3 singles games before the doubles game started. I did not however get time to practice which I think effects my form negatively. I see myself improving in some areas but going to back to bad habits in others. I played 4 doubles games against a team that was clearly better than my partner and I and we won 2 out of the 4 games. I’ll post one loss and one win later after I edit them. In the meantime here are some of my shots

4. Obito

Obito Regular Member

overusing wrist like you are doing right now will eventually end up hurting yourself. The wrist movement is really minimal, but there is. It is the last motion to completely transfer the energy power and control the direction. Most of the power also comes from your forearm (pronation, supination)

Try to get to understand it. I wish there was one to show you in person.

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Can you tell me the minute and second in the videoed that I am overusing my wrist,
    Perhaps the most blatent example?
    I feel like I do not use much wrist flexion anymore ....

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are two of the four games that we played against better opponents.
    One was a loss and one was a win

7. Obito

Obito Regular Member

@1.45 on the first clip when you perform smash. It looks like you bend your wrist too much when you draw back the stroke before hitting, but most of the shot are a lot better than the previous one. Also the backhand @ .53 when you hit it you extended it too far, but it will eventually get better.

PS sometime when you play the shot from the backcourt I think you handle your grip too middle. When you play the power shot from the back, handle the racket at the bottom would generate more power. However, there are some people who handle their racket on the middle regardless playing net shot or back court shot.

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I see what you mean. I feel like on those shots , especially the one at 1:45 that my wrist is neutral and I’m pronating is But apparently I am not

Obito likes this.
  9. Obito

Obito Regular Member

You could ask the technique from your opponent from your double game clip. I believe that they were just playing around. They didnt even try and pay no attention to the game. Their hand work especially the guy in the black shirt is something and you could learn from him.

Keep playing with this guy you will get better!!!

Also keep watching at the guy in the black shirt when you watch him play in person. His stroke is smooth and compact.

#409 Obito, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes he is very good and has been trained internationally. I think he is Even played in some international junior tournaments my He tried to help me as much as he can but he is only 18 years old and mostly just goofs around. He actually said he would train me but there is never any courts open for that to happen.

11. Obito

Obito Regular Member

just ask him how to perform the stroke or let him show you in person that is a lot better than watching youtube or reading. At least, that what I would do. Most trained player would be able to tell you what you need to do to correct your stroke, and that you wont need court space. You need the court space for the drill [ which is actually the fastest way to improve after correcting the technique xD] .

Also next time try to team up with the one in blue and play against the one in black [let him partner up with your partner] that's how you get to learn something from the game. When you team is a lot weaker than the other like this one, you wont get much out of it.
    I even tried to play mixed double as a front court player which I know that a lot of guy dont like it because there is no smash and just stay in the front when I first started to get to know the real game. I used to be in your position. You need longer rally and at least one player on your team that's better than you to help you and correct you. This match up wont get you much because you wont even know what you did wrong losing the point and the rally ends within a few shot, but pair up with better player on each team and weaker player on each the rally would last longer and he or she could point out your flaw.

#411 Obito, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Mason likes this.
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Had a good night tonight of games. I played with only people that were better than me.
    Had some decent practice in before most games as well to
    Here are some practice shots

Here are my shots from in games.

I seem to have better body rotation on my
    Shots but still have a lot of work to do with my footwork and my strokes

13. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

When you're warming up/practising drops or whatever, you should do the corresponding footwork aswell. This will also make it more natural to rotate your body in games as you're going to be used to doing it :)
    - I know it's in Danish, however this is what u should be doing when practising overhead shots.

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes good point ! I’ve been trying to work on my footwork while practicing my strokes but I do not always remember to do so
    Thanks for the video :)

15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

My legs were fried yesterday so I was extremely tired but I still played well in my
    Doubles games but not my singles.
    Regardless I feel like my stroke was much better. I also think that I’m finally using pronation on my Drops. Had a good amount of time to practice too.
    Drops start at around the 1 minute mark

Let me know what you all think of the Clears and Drops

16. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

True, much better when dropping! Next time, you can focus on reaching up some more when playing drop shots.
    Overall, you should not have to force the follow through. It should happen when you relax after hitting the shuttle.

It's almost 3 am, so that's all you get from me for now. ;)

Mason likes this.
  17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Looks good. Keep practising. Agree about reaching up a little higher in general - i would think of it as taking the shuttle sooner than you are currently used to. But overall great work.

As the months progress, I would hope you can start incorporating more footwork focus into your practice, but your priority for now should remain perfecting that overhead.

Well done.

Mason likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I have been practicing my footwork much more and it’s for sure helping! I feel like my lower body is contributing much more to my shots
    Here are my shots from Wednesday night

19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Shots from tonights games

LenaicM likes this.
  20. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

I'd say that you pronate too much actually. In the video, we can see that most of the time, at the impact, the angle between your forearm and the racket is almost 90° (clear example 0:24, 1:45, 4:02), which could come from a bad grip (too panhandle), not reaching for the shuttlecock high enough (lead with your elbow first), or taking it too much on the side of your body.

Put your right arm up, as high as you can, and point your racquet up as high as you can and practice clears that way. Try to visualize yourself as hitting the shuttlecock upwards (look up high) and not forward, it will help you.