Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. minions

minions Regular Member

Well, if he can afford to play, he will play. He doesn't have to listen to peoples who want him to retire or care about what everyone says.

Saru and LenaicM like this.
  2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

And let's be honest, at his age and physical limitation, the money he is making has higher value than just the so call 'honor' :D
    At least to me, LD is not losing to less worth opponents but to the greatest foe of all, Father Time.:p

Simeon likes this.
  3. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Agreed. Just look at Uncle Mathew Forgaty, he's 62 (per Wiki), still playing both MS and XD, and still losing at R1. There's no reason to ask LD to retire. It's his choice and he could do anything he wants.

Saru and LenaicM like this.
  4. minions

minions Regular Member

Yeah, people can be unfair at times. I never see anyone told to the players who are older than LD to retire. If people want LD to retire, why not do it to other older players?

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, stepping in the shoes of Taufik for me. Sad, but the last impression is the one I‘ll remember.

6. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Lin Dan can loose against any player to me, I just love to see the best player of all time in badmintonhistory still on court. How can anybody have opinions on a legend with two olympic gold and five time worldchampion to want him quit just because of win-loose statistics...I have never made it through with that one that you should stop at top, that is just a weakness showing that you are afraid of losing.

Continue to enjoy Lin Dan still competing, and never forget his achievements!!!

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT LIN DAN HERE, WHO CAN EVER JUDGE HIM!!!!!

LenaicM, Justin L and Tec07 like this.
  7. Kento

Kento Regular Member

So he is not human then and therefore not prone to errors in judgement which can be deeply regretted later in life?

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's Lin Dan's life. Let him decide for himself what's best for him. Whether he will regret his decisions later in life or not, that's up to him. But I doubt he would. Knowing LD's character, I think he would rather die than to quit half way.

Super85, swsh and LenaicM like this.
  9. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Its badminton mate not life or death. The guy is the best there has been, anyone who forgets that just because he wants to keep playing even though far from his best clearly just fanboys off on who ever the current best is at any given time.
    Whats so wrong about him playing on? If he enjoys competing why wouldnt he? Hes rich, never needs to work and probably just wants to keep enjoying the game he loves, should he go off and play local league stuff and clean up quietly away from the public eye just so a few fans around the world dont have to have a meltdown when he looses? I really dont think he gives a toss what anybody thinks when he can slap two olympic gold medals and 5 worlds on the table and ask what anyone else has managed..

Super85 likes this.
  10. Kento

Kento Regular Member

He can do what he wants and no denying that.

My fear is that it is what he does now that will impact on how he will be remembered and not on what he had done earlier in his career.

Now if that does not bother him now, then why is it so wrong for some of his true fans (who can foresee the damage that will be done to his reputation and legacy) to be bothered?

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

There is nothing anyone can do. He is doing it. And shouldn't we as the fans care more about the player's himself and what he really feels, than the reputation nor legacy? If he wants to keep on playing, we could only support him and give him at least the respect he deserves.

He has lost his power, no doubt about it, but who can blame him for that? He didn't choose to. Of course no body wants to see their heroes keep on losing and losing, but I believe it matters more to him that the fans would at least appreciate and understand him as he is right now. He just wants to do what he loves to do, let him have his "fun" while he is still able to (and earning his living too for his family).

If I were him, I would have done the same thing. :) Doing something you love and getting paid (a lot) for it? Oh yes please.

12. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

I understand what you are saying but i dont think it will damage his legacy.. the guys beating him now know full well they are beating a guy far from his best as do the fans, i doubt hkv will tell the story in years to come of how he beat lin dan without feeling the need to also point out it was an older slower lin dan, or more than likely wouldnt even brag about it too much anyway. Same for the fans i think lin dan fans as hard as it may be to watch shouldnt feel like lin dan will be regarded as any less of a legend because the last few years of his career were full of weak results. Just enjoy watching his technical ability and game play while you still can.
    I still watch him now even when loosing against some guys and smile at seeing just how much better technically he is than most even if the legs arent there anymore! :)

DarkHiatus, yuquall, swsh and 2 others like this.
  13. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

...and let's not forget England MS player Raymond Webster, still competing in international matches at the age of 64 (http://be.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/category.aspx?id=20123&category=574).

I doubt that Raymond harbours any guilt about his participation in tournaments denying younger players a chance to gain valuable competition experience - he is, after all, currently ranked 21 in England MS so probably feels he has every right to take part. I suspect the situation in China is rather different, however.

smautf

#11453 Smautf, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  14. Kento

Kento Regular Member

With all due respect to my fellow countryman, Raymond Webster, he has not had the stellar career record that Lin Dan has enjoyed and so has no reputation or legacy whatsoever to protect, unlike Lin Dan.

Saru and Sdrqaz like this.
  15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    He didn't just *have* it. He didn't just get that stellar record.

Good god give that man a break. He has achieved everything and provided everyone with everything they could ever want in actuality.

And yet here we are, on his heels about what he chooses to do after having achieved everything.

He has more rights than anyone to keep on playing for whatever reasons he chooses to. Monetary or not. He earned that. He earned those sponsorships as well. If anyone has the right to cash in on his career, it's him. With how shaky CL has been, his 2 OG golds still seem as out of reach as ever for other players. Don't see anyone touching the 5 world titles either.

No matter his losses now in his current state, he remains as untouchable as ever. It doesn't matter if he wins or loses now because he's still GOAT. No one is even close.

You aren't beating Lin Dan by getting a win over him at this age. The only way you beat him or even bring yourself in the conversation with him is by being as dominant as he was in majors and no one is doing that yet. People are just coming and going.

He doesn't have a legacy to protect. It was set in stone when he destroyed everyone and proved what he was good for when he needed to.

yuquall, KB@TB Em, esppy and 2 others like this.
  16. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

I can see this video again and again and again and again and again and again and again....haha so funny!

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Lol Turned out it wasn't LD's last WC. Let's hope LCW can join LD in this year WC later in Bazel.

swsh and Super85 like this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said.

swsh likes this.
  19. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Perfect reply! Irrespective of his current opponents, I still love to watch him kick asses with whatever arsenal he has. Enjoy till he lasts, without having any expectations. And don't raise eyebrows on his bad performances. He ain't 24 anymore! There are few changes in the body with age which are irreversible. Enjoy the matches he wins on his sheer experience.

Justin L and swsh like this.
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I just think it's depressing to see someone who used to be brilliant fade into absolute mediocrity. I think Peter Gade went out just in time. Taufik missed his exit by a long shot and will probably be remembered as the guy who couldn't be arsed by many. Let's see where LD ends up, personally I don't like watching him play anymore. I hope his performance at the German Open wasn't indicative of his current state and instead he goes out with a bang at the All England, but Im not too optimistic about that.

Saru likes this.