Hatori HA-950 Shuttlecocks Comprehensive Review

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by azchuah1, Mar 10, 2019.

1. azchuah1

azchuah1 New Member

Hatori HA-950 Shuttlecock
    Hatori’s shuttlecocks are listed as shuttlecocks made for competitive clubs and players. Here’s my comprehensive review for them.

side note: (my other comprehensive review for the tantrum 200ii)

Price paid: $28 AUD for 1 tube (12 shuttlecocks)

Country sourced: Australia

Source of purchase: https://hatori.com.au

Flight Quality – 9.5/10:

The flight quality on the HA-950 was excellent, all 12 shuttlecocks came out of the tube without any wobbling or other visible flight issues. The shuttles performed extremely well in the summer weather and also the cooler autumn. (I tried two tubes of speed 77 and 78. We used the speed 77 in summer and 78 in autumn from feb to march).

I did notice that they had a very slight different flight path to other shuttles, it’s hard to pinpoint exactly - but I feel is that it is slightly faster than aeroplane black and slightly slower than aerosensa 40/50. I would rate it within the realms of 10-15 centimeters.

I think its flight is superior to aeroplanes, and more similar to yonex shuttlecocks. After a short adjustment period, I was using them without noticing any major differences.

Here’s a HA-950 shuttle fresh out of the tube:

new back.jpg new side.jpg 53524833_2289819541231781_3728955443213500416_n.jpg 53824243_2052046274873725_1421356256232210432_n.jpg

Durability – 10/10:
    The best factor of this shuttlecock is that it has really good durability. I averaged around 4.5 games with the ha-950, which were men’s doubles and we smashed the hell out of this one. The level of play was around open-grade in Australia. I’ve attached a picture of a shuttle over the course of the games:

New:
    new ha950.jpg

2 games in:
    2 games in ha-950.jpg

3 games in:
    3 games in ha-950.jpg

!!4 games in:
    4 games in ha-950.jpg

The feathers on the shuttlecock feel extremely fresh and hard to break. There are 16 nice thick center bones running down the middle of each feather and also the little tiny feather strands that stick off the feather appear fresh and white and firmly stuck to the main bone. I did lightly steam them overnight before playing. The durability lasted way longer than what I expected, and is a major positive.

Cork Quality – 9/10:
    The cork is a tri-layer cork with a compressed cork in the middle. I was surprised because I suspected it was a full natural cork but it wasn’t. However I did not experience any deformities in the cork. It felt nice and firm/stiff and also elastic in the right way when I hit it. Obviously, a full natural cork would be preferred, but I think it was still very good nonetheless.

hatori cork.jpg cork uncut 2.jpg

Overall Shuttle Quality – 9.5/10:
    It feels different from the Aeroplane and Yonex, but in a good way. I definitely like these shuttlecocks and would highly recommend trying them out. After hitting with them for around 5 sessions now, I would say that I have adjusted for them really comfortably and won’t be swapping back. Overall the whole package is very good, and an excellent shuttlecock for players.

Overall Shuttle Value – 9.7/10:
    In Australia, other shuttles like Aeroplane black costs around $35 a tube and yonex aerosensa around $38+ a tube.
    For value for money, I think that tha HA-950 shuttles perform far superior to the blacks and are cheaper per tube.

I think it’s great value, high quality shuttlecock.

#1 azchuah1, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    badmintony likes this.
  2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Welcome back to the forum and thanks very much for the review This might indeed be a good alternative birdie, what with the increasingly getting costly favorite brands and their models.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

3. whitetiger721

whitetiger721 Regular Member

You can only get this in Australia? Looking for shuttlecocks that’s similar to as30-40 under $30usd

4. namcho

namcho New Member

The price on the website is 28$/tube, not 28 AUD, which is significantly higher than Aeroplane.

5. azchuah1

azchuah1 New Member

Nope. I paid for the shuttlecocks in $AUD. Don't really understand what you're talking about here.

To your second point, I went on ebay Australia and saw that a tube of aeroplane black sells for like $38-40 AUD. That's like $10-12 higher than $28 lol...

Thanks Badmintony, much appreciated.
    If anyone wants me to provide more comprehensive reviews, dont hesitate to contact me :) pm preferred

I just checked, its around ~20USD when you convert from AUD. I think you should be able to get it sent to United States.

badmintony likes this.
  6. namcho

namcho New Member

Sorry. I did not see the small sentence in the website saying the price was in AUD. I saw the currency as $, so I assumed it's USD.

For Aeroplane, our club can buy in bulk at ~$23/tube. But if the price of Hatori is 28 AUD, it's worth considering. Thanks for sharing.

7. whitetiger721

whitetiger721 Regular Member

Shipping’s too expensive.