Switch from backhand serve to forehand serve...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by BadBadmintonPlayer, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Hi

I have now experienced for the second time how in a Mixed the woman in the front stands down suitably for a backhand serve and then switched fast to a forehand serve.

Is that basically allowed and/or do I have to pay attention to something? Feet have to stay in the same place? Can I reposition myself?

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

So she was standing and looking like she was about to serve with her backhand and then switched to forehand and quickly served? Did she start the forward movement with her racket while doing the backhand serve?

3. BadBadmintonPlayer

Yes and I don't know exactly. I wasn't paying very much attention to how she did it. If her feet aren't moving and she can do this in one move, is it okay?

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I think it‘s okay if she hasn‘t started the forward movement of the first serve. Weird nonetheless.

GingerCorslette likes this.
  5. BadBadmintonPlayer

The problem was that I was pretty close to the line and scored 3-4 direct points and the high serve with the backhand wasn't good.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

That‘s your problem then. Only stand so close to the line that you can still play a decent reply on a perfect flick serve. ;)

7. BadBadmintonPlayer

No, that was the problem from the woman. My englisch is not the best.

If my opponent can't flick serve well, then I'm right on the line. If they do really well, I sometimes take a small step back. But thats ok for me.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Well, she fooled you with her forehand flick serve then right?

9. BadBadmintonPlayer

It was just weird and therefore my question was if there are any rules. Next time I was prepared for it.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, I think it's legal. It's probably not even an evil intention. A woman from my club does this when she gets too scared because the receiver is too close to the net. She can't do a backhand flick and suddenly decided to flick so she has to use the forehand. You will not see this with better players however. Backhand serves all the way in doubles.

Saru, phihag and BadBadmintonPlayer like this.
  11. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I understand you are getting ready for her back serve and while you are waiting for her to serve, instead of serving she starts to change into another type of serve and serves right away while you are getting startled with what she is doing?

Than you can just raise your hand in order to show that she disturbed you with the change and you need a moment to recompose??? Problem solved?

Saru and phihag like this.
  12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you cannot complain about weirdness as long as it is legal. one can prepare for a backhand and serve forehand, prepare for forehand and hit it behind his back, anything, as long as there is one backswing and the contact point is below the legal height.

phihag likes this.
  13. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

Kinematically, switching from a backhand to forehand from the same position on court will provide the receiver more time, that means more advantageous to receiver. You may know, the service action could be broken down into its constituent sections (this is how most coaches help their players). There would therefore be a prepartion, back-swing, forward-swing, and the follow-through (after the shuttle-strike).

Considering the points you make about feet and position, here's what my toolbox would have in the 'pay attention to' section

For server
    ... switched fast == Remembering that the start of service is defined as the first forward motion of the racquet head
    as long as this happens, it is legal action

... feet in same place == some part of both feet must have stationary contact

combine these two == stationary foot contact must happen once the racquet head start moving forward

For you (as recever)
    ... feet in same place criterion after the server starts first forward motion of racquet head

If by 'one move' you meant, the racquet head kept moving forward (slow or fast or vice versa is of no consequence), then yes.

Weird, eh. Well, have a look at the last section in this compilation --