BWF Miscellaneous Tournaments in 2019

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by minions, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

So many line calls were against sen.

2. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Too bad there's no hawk eye. Anyways a good performance by Lakshya reaching semis of super 100 tournament.

3. Baddyforall

Considering the bad calls were in the 3rd game.

4. Baddie lover

Yes, two line calls at crucial junctures.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Weng Hongyang disposed of Lakshya Sen,what a surprise, esp when Sen has been looking strong after beating Loh Kean Yew and Zhou Zeqi.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I watched very little of the match as I was glued to the Shi Yuqi match most of the time, so not quite sure how WHY did it. Hope to catch the replay later , if available on youtube.

7. Baddie lover

You'll get the link of FFBadminton.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just check how the score panned out, Weng Hongyang was in front most of the time in G3, even if we take into account a few linecalls against LS, 14-9, 16-11, and then when level at 17-all, WHY took the last 4 points on the trot.

What I'm trying to say is, I'd expected LS to be leading by a good margin all the way to the finishing line, then a couple of questionable linecalls won't do much to tilt the balance in the opponent's favour.

Furthermore, LS dropping G1 by 9-21 is unacceptable from him, to say the least.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When the two matches were playing simultaneously, I chose to concentrate on the SYQ - AG match. I also missed the whole of G1 and the beginning of G2 of the WHY - LS match.

10. Baddie lover

I would say maybe that line call was right or maybe it was wrong, that things impacts a player psychologically. Though Wen Hongyang did well to score 4 successive points to win the match. Also, I didn't know about WHY earlier as I didn't see him play so I was cautious to label LS as a favourite. Maybe homecrowd support is also a factor. Again, homecrowd support has different effects on different players due to psychology. Still, a win is a win. Great play by both players.

11. Baddie lover

Hmmm. Full SF live stream link will be available in YouTube.

12. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Sai Praneeth beats Chen Long in straight two. Sort of unbelievable but CL looked out of sorts today. Too many unforced errors. Probably Sai's biggest win of his career?

(Not from current tournament) - I just watched a clip from Barcelona.. VA vs Ren Pengbo. Ren Pengo was giving a good fight and suddenly twisted his leg on landing after a smash. Any idea what happened and when? How is Ren now? It's sad to watch such clips.

13. Baddyforall

He defeated LCW in All England , Taufik and Kento MOmota but he is very very very very lazy . His movements look sluggish but he usually counters it with his wrist work. But today, he played brilliantly.

mohans likes this.
  14. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Lakshya Sen took a set before he settled down. He played his normal game from the second set. In the third set he made some unforced errors but due credit to Weng Hongyang he kept his composure and continued the pressure. Its great to see these future players of the future. Looking forward to more encounters between them.

15. antssantss

Retired
    Justin it seems like you have access to a recording to be so precise on the miscalls.
    Any chance to share the link?

16. antssantss

Retired
    Sorry I found it. Its in youtube, the last 15 minutes of the third set between LS and WH.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, Kim Ga Eun emerged the winner as I expected but not in the manner I had in mind - she nearly lost G1 when Zhang Yiman was 19-16 in front before taking the deuce,22-20, became error-prone in G2 to allow ZYM to run away with it ,and, finally, she started strongly in the decider but, again, let ZYM catch up in the latter half with erratic play before reasserting herself in the last lap. In short, KGE could've lost in two straight sets.

As a matter of fact, when Kim Ga Eun knocked out Wang Ziyi in the opening round, I immediately realized she would be the front-runner for the trophy as I don't see anybody else remaining in the CHN WS camp able to stop her, except for her own colleagues, Kim Hyo Min or Jeon Jul. Kim GE, age 21, is certainly an up-and-comer to watch.

Frankly, I like Kim Ga Eun's physique, well-built, tall, 1.75m for a lady, and strong, a fast attacking player; however, not consistent enough and error-prone as well. I'd rate her as the No.2 KOR WS behind Sung Ji Hyun. Talking about SJH, she has a remarkable physique too , also 1.75m tall, strong, just look at her thigh muscles.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Weng Hongyang surprised me yet again, thumping Liu Haichao in the final by the identical score of 21-7 Perhaps, the toll of accumulated fatigue affected LHC more than WHY, but, apparently, the latter played better, was more consistent and accurate in his shotmaking.

Well, it goes to show, Weng Hongyang's defeat of Lakshya Sen wasn't a fluke, in my opinion (disputed linecalls as claimed aside). At age 19, he's just graduated from the junior circuit, I hope CBA will do its best to nurture his talent, a very promising prospect is this southpaw, in my opinion.

19. lurker

lurker Regular Member

wow, except for the MS which ensures a winner from China, they may lose all others disciplines!

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Regarding Technical Officials: https://system.bwfbadminton.com/doc...ion 5.2.2 - BWF World Tour Regulations -2.pdf

6.9.2. For Level 5 and 6 Tournaments, an umpire, a service judge, and a minimum of four line judges must be provided for each match. There shall be at least six umpires from Members other than the host Member comprising of at least four BWF (as of 1 March 2019) and two Continental Certificated umpires with well spread nationality. All umpires and service judges shall meet eligibility criteria set for the panel of Technical Officials they belong to.

Based on the above, I'd expect that, as far as possible, certainly feasible for the semifinals and finals, if not the quarterfinals as well, that umpires and service judges on duty be from third-party Member Associations to ensure impartiality, esp when Hawk-Eye IRS is not available. Otherwise, there would always be the nagging concern of biased linejudges from the host nation affecting or influencing match outcomes, notwithstanding genuine possible human errors.

In my opinion, biased linejudges are not doing the players any favour as they can't possibly be available to help whoever they wish in most tournaments, aside from ethical issues. Furthermore, it will do the player more harm than good in the future or in the long run if the player's deficiency in technical skills and other aspects of his game is covered up rather than exposed or identified in actual competition, much to his/her detriment.

Any tournament technical official who knowingly violate the professional and ethical standards required of their services ought to be barred or banned for life from doing duty in any tournament, international or domestic, whether sanctioned or not by BWF.

Ideally, I hope for Hawk-Eye IRS becoming so affordable one day that it becomes a standard feature in every tournament for all matches played on all the courts. I'd rather trust machines than humans for making linecalls , both for reasons of human error and limitation, and possible partiality or lack of objectivity.