Zhang Nan ( 张楠 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

There is a fact that we can't foget. Effectiveness of zhang nan as a back court player is very low. His back court smashes are so weak and no clear wineers. So there is lot of pressure on liu cheng also.

2. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Young di zijian can be used as partner for zhang nan. A row talent with a powerful attacking play and he is still 18 years old.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

No clear winners maybe, but effective enough to get weak replies. You'll see more variation from ZN when he attack from the back. LC is just not good enough at the net. If you watched the match in Swiss Open, ZN was much more effective from the back with his placement smashes than LC who could hardly hit a winner.

So ZN has to have killer smashes too from the back? What's the point of having LC as the powerhouse in the partnership if ZN has to do everything? There are many great pairs too with front court player being weaker at the back, for example Ahsan/Hendra. But Ahsan is very good at the net to make the formation of Ahsan at the net and Hendra at the back threatening enough.

buibui2 and j4ckie like this.
  4. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

oh poor LC ...

5. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I am afraid the LC ZN pairing will never succeed. Everytime you watch them play you are certain something will go wrong. LC has partnered ZN for a long enough time to see whether the partnership will work. I am afraid its too inconsistent.

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He's just not top player material, unfortunately. And it has come to the point that I can't feel any sympathy towards LC at all, to be blunt.

I blame the coaches for not seeing this nor doing anything about it after last year.

buibui2 and Dangho like this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Liu/Zhang is safely through to R2. What a relief.

They had a very shaky start, ZN mistimed most of his shots for the whole first two games and LC was being LC. It was quite alarming. I just hope it's not some kind of injury as ZN was wearing a bandage like thing around his upper arm.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Liu/Zhang is going to have another chance tomorrow.
    As I feared and suspected, looks like ZN's right arm/elbow is hurting. Don't think they can hold that long.

I have no idea what coaches want by insisting this pair to keep on going, but seriously I don't really care about the Olympic Qualification. Can't they consider giving ZN a chance to try a different partner?

9. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Zhang Nan barely saved that...although it should probably be said the opponents had a lot of nerves near match point. Liu Cheng is horrible at defending lmao. He's either gotta work on it, or just drive/block everything back since he's so inaccurate anyway.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It is rather sad and doesn't reflect well on CBA that they have this trump card in doubles, called Zhang Nan, but unable to use it to great effect simply for lack of a MD or XD partner to complement the extraordinarily talented Zhang Nan in the coming Tokyo 2020 Olympics. A pity.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

But who would be a good partner?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

12. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

All the potential great players are already in a good pairing which suit their styles, assuming they don't do double duty. CQC or Siwei could have been decent choices, but they are taken. I thought Li Junhui was an okay idea, but given that they won 2018 WC there's no need to break that pair up.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He JT looks and acts like he is in need of a new more experienced partner.

Yoji likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

All the best ones I've in mind, guess you know who I'm referring to, are taken and Zhang Jun will be ill-advised to split them. That means, nobody else left.

I'm afraid, I supposed it's too late to do anything about it, Zhang Nan just have to do his utmost and hope for the best in MD with Liu Cheng. He's already a multiple WC/OG gold medallist, perhaps not that much to regret, just unfortunate for Team China as the rest of the world has more or less caught up with them in almost all the disciplines.

15. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Zhang/Liu should get oscar nomination for acting nothing happened when clearly the shuttlecock hit ZN's head and deflected across :p but of course why would they admit it though when its umpire call that count afterall. Glad that JPN pair didnt choke on match point.

buibui2 likes this.
  16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

No, ZN should lol. The JPN didn't need to choke, LC had done it for them (ever since he entered the court):p. That incident indeed left a bitter after taste though:confused:

ZN, please just get a new partner:(

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

He sure does and he will have as many defeats as possible till the coach notices that TQ is the problem lol.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Honestly, why would it even come to this - why didn't the umpire call a fault, unbelievable. Let's hope Hoki never has to play KSS if this already causes him to refuse a handshake though, he'd probably implode on court before the match can even finish :D

19. minions

minions Regular Member

Well, minions have met Hoki/Koba a lot of times. No problems or issues occur in all of their matches.

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Because Marcus never hit a shuttle on Kevin's face on the way to the other side and the umpire failed to see it.

buibui2 likes this.