Tai Tzu Ying ( 戴資穎 )

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei Professional Players' started by limsy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What on earth are you on about? They're all free to do as they please. In the same vain, however, I'm free to criticize or even mock a guy that is cynically milking money from the scene on past credentials alone. At the same time, I can express my surprise that TTY wants to retire at 26 already, where most players these days choose to play at least until 30, health permitting. Again I'm not demanding she stay or stating in any way that she isn't free to do so.

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yes of course. Just wondering why you ratting on LD for wanting to stay around instead of retiring, but TTY wants to retire but you regretted her decision. Now I see your reasons.

3. minions

minions Regular Member

I am surprised that TTY choose to retire after OG. Hope she can earn her OG and WC medal. It is a shame if a high calibre like her fails to do so. I am sure she has long plans after OG.

By the time she will retire, she will be 26. I know many peoples say that she is too young to retire. But, she is not the first one to retire at that age. Didn't WYH and WSX retire at that age too?

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Im not quite sure what you mean by 'ratting on LD'...?
    Anyhow, I worry that announcing her retirement ahead of time puts extra pressure on her. Or rather what the extra pressure will do to her - will it motivate her in preparation, even when she doesn't feel it on a day or week? I don't know if she needs that extra push - from what we can glean from social media, she seems pretty hard-working almost all the time.
    What I worry about is that instead, it'll make her nervous when the time comes and she plays in the big 2 tournaments. It's certainly possible that she responds with determination instead of nerves, but from the past I'm not quite convinced that that is how she's wired, personally - didn't she mention she felt the burden of expectation at the WC one year? Or am I confusing her with someone else?
    Anyway, here's hoping she can make the most of the time she has left herself and put herself in the history books with 2 big titles to end her career with a bang. I'd find it sad if someone with this level of talent and such a graceful style of play that is such a joy to watch were to be forgotten eventually because they don't appear in the lists of world or Olympic champions and the people who saw her play are getting old...

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think WYH mentioned injury issues, while WSX couldn't stomach the disappointment of not being selected for the Olympics as WR#3 (indeed a hard blow if the coach openly says they trust another player more against certain opponents). Funnily enough, I remember an interview with Zhang Ning where she mentioned she considered retirement at a similar age, before she even won the first of her 2 Olympic golds. Although to be fair, those were different times with training being harder on the body back then (especially the joints)

6. Twitchington

Twitchington Regular Member

It's very shocking that TTY is retiring so soon. She has no major injuries, still on the very top skills/physical wise and will only be 26 next year.
    She'll be the first among the current top players of her generation to leave. (RI, NO, CM. PVS)

To me, TTY and RI are the ones that make WS discipline the most enjoyable to watch. Their playing style is basically magic. You can't help but make compliments along with surprise noises while watching them play. Loosing one of them early is a complete loss to the badminton world.

I really wish she would change her mind but from the looks of her personality, I'm sure she'll stay true to her words when the time comes.
    Therefore, I will soak up her greatness as much as I can before she hangs up the racket.

(I secretly wish TTY and RI would continue their rivalry for a long time like Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei does but I guess it's just way more difficult for female players to stay active for as long as male players could.)

7. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

visor likes this.
  8. Twitchington

Twitchington Regular Member

It would’ve been nice if this is in English. lol

However, I saw in Ratchanok’s Instagram story that TTY is indeed thinking about a retirement. RI asked TTY if she’s retiring after the Olympics and TTY replied that she might take a rest for a while or retire. She’ll make a definite decision by then.
    All in all it will still be sad to see her leave the scene even if for a while. It’s nice to hear that there’s an option though. She haven’t entirely set on quitting yet. Hopefully, she’ll change her mind or some people will persuade her to stay before the time comes.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, does seem like she was misinterpreted. She says she doesn't even know what's gonna happen at SG open next week, much less after Tokyo OG in a year and a half time...

Meanwhile, an excellent example of loose grip from her MAS open final FB photos ...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Cheung, s_mair and LenaicM like this.
  10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Also notice the (almost extreme) shoulder rotation. Not used enough by such an overwhelming majority of players.

visor, s_mair, Cheung and 1 other person like this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I made the same point to my kid. It helps disguise.

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Akane Yamaguchi knows a thing or two about good deception from the deep forehand corner as well it seems...

[​IMG]

badmintony and Saru like this.
  13. visor

visor Regular Member

Hehe... When I watched it live, I was thinking TTY got a taste of her own deception.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

s_mair likes this.
  14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

15. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

“I am playing well right now but it’s important to stay injury-free with the Tokyo Olympics coming up next year.” - TTY

Source: The Japan Times

I guess her mind is clearly set on Tokyo 2020. She could have mention the WC as it's coming first but nope.

s_mair likes this.
  16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Maybe she meant about staying injury free all the way to Tokyo 2020.

17. minions

minions Regular Member

With her current ranking points, she is expected to surpass LXR's WR1 record. If nothing happens to her, she will surpass the longest WR1 record in 2 weeks or after BAC.

She is also one title away from WYH's 20 titles record. She has higher chance to break that record.

But, really, she needs to break her QF WC jinx and gets her first WC medal. It is a shame if she doesn't.

Saru and LenaicM like this.
  18. Maycee

Maycee New Member

TTY will not participate in BAC next week, will this affect her WR1?

19. minions

minions Regular Member

No. The point gap is quite far. I should say that her WR1 status will be safe until at least Indonesia Open.

Maycee likes this.
  20. Sdrqaz

Sdrqaz Regular Member