What should I be working on?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pcho, Mar 29, 2019.

1. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

That exchanges and notably the cross shot at the first video, rally at ~3:26 is an example of what would not happen if you had the correct grip. Like kwun said simply, learn the proper way. To the point it becomes embedded in your subconscious. You can get to position early, but will not produce quality shots with the wrong grip in each situation.

Hold your racquet so you don't face the string bed at all. Then raise your pointing finger. Normally, this is the forehand grip. If the thumb is raised instead, this is the backhand grip. So you use the raised finger to aid the swing.

pcho likes this.
  2. pcho

pcho Regular Member

So last night I started to work on using the correct grip, every shot I made I was thinking to myself to keep forehand grip. I hope this looks more correct. I feel like I'm doing it correctly now, but it's still hard for to me tell by my footage. Please tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    look much better! though I think you can go maybe 10-15 degree more.

now you need to learn how to pronate your wrist and use the leverage and power that you gained by using the correct grip.

backhand grip when lifting is still incorrect but hard to tell from the camera angle.

pcho likes this.
  4. pcho

pcho Regular Member

10-15 degrees inward or outward?

5. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

With the racquet pointed away from you like holding a hammer, turn it clockwise.

As kwun says, your backhand grip looks like it's a panhandle rather than a backhand grip, but it's hard to tell as it's on the far side of the camera. In terms of effectiveness, it means you're not able to play flat pushes/drives and you commit to lifting the shuttle or netting the shuttle if your opponent drops it.

pcho likes this.
  6. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Ya I see it now, I have a tendency to never drive with my backhand, I'll try to work on that after I get my forehand grip intact. Thanks a lot for the input! Let me know if you see anything else I can improve on!

7. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Look up a lot of slow-mo vids.. since you're right-handed, check this Chen Long version out: LINK

pcho likes this.
  8. DarkHiatus

What you hopefully will find with the proper grip at the net is that you're able to reach out and play a shot whilst your foot is on or behind the service line, saving you time and energy.

With a panhandle, you'll need to step past the service line to take shots closer in to your body, which means you generally take them lower (less drives) and you have to move further.

If you watch the pros, it almost looks like they can 'hold' the shot and pause for a moment before they return a drop shot, even if it's a really right block. This is because their arms are really stretched out in front of them, but with the correct grip they can still play a nice high lift if they want to.

pcho likes this.
  9. Obito

Obito Regular Member

work on your grip then you will be a lot better. Try to correct your grip and get used to how to switch it from forehand to backhand. You could put the shuttle on the stringbed and throw it in the air and try to catch it softly with your stringbed [ dont let the shuttle bounce off the stringbed].
    You play like one of my friend. He is very muscular, so he could return all the shuttle and do backhand clear from back to back forcefully without correct technique, but in the end he has no more room to improve, so basically he stucks at his plateau forever unless he correct his grip.

pcho likes this.
  10. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Hey guys, here's me playing this week

I've been really still focusing on my forehand grip, please let me know what I can do better. Sometimes I even forget to switch to backhand from focusing so hard lol. @DarkHiatus Yes, my front lunge/net is taking too many steps in, I have to work on that, I tend to do that because I can make a more controlled shot but it does leave me too far in.

@GingerCorslette Thanks for the video! I checked it out and I think the difference is that I have a really bad habit of jumping backwards while taking the smash even when I do have enough time to get behind the bird before I hit. I will definitely work on that![/MEDIA]

My friend who I've been playing with says that my forehand is weak because I often hit the bird from the side rather overhead. Do you think it's either a footwork issue or just a mental?
    Example at 12:00

My split step is also very weak as I can't get the timing right on when to split right on impact of the bird from my opponent. I think I lower my centre of gravity too early before they make the shot making me lose a lot power in my legs. I'm also confused on what to land with with my split step, I've been told to land on the balls of my feet/toes but others are saying to land on the heel first to gather enough power.

#30 pcho, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  11. pcho

pcho Regular Member

#31 pcho, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  12. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Here's another recent video of some games I have, please leave me any feedback you can see that can help me improve my game!

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Play with feather shuttles. Will show areas of technique to improve better.

Too much panhandle grip on overhead forehand.

Do round the head shots more instead of backhand clears.

pcho likes this.
  14. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Ah I my bad habit is kicking back in again, I have to really think about having my grip right more. Thanks!

15. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Hi, it's me again with another video. If you have the time please take a look and hit me with the blunt truth again. Is my pan handling grip still lingering there?

Somethings I noticed that need improvement are

My split step is inconsistent
    When I get pushed to my forehand I either get to it too slow or just can't hit it properly for a clear which forces me to do a straight drop.
    Backhand technique is horrible
    Clears are not deep enough
    Not fully extending arms for a quicker net shot
    Holding the bird too long when I can make a quicker shot

#35 pcho, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you are the guy in grey, yes.

pcho likes this.
  17. DarkHiatus

Your deep forehand, backhand, and short clears are not helped by your racquet carriage in the rearcourt.

It is VERY low.

See 1:13 if your second video for an example of when you have loads of time and you get into position, and the you clearly see your arm flick BACK before executing your stroke. This isn't a backswing, this is you getting your arm into the 'ready' position.

When you have less time, there's no chance of reaching the ready position, therefore you have no chance to exercute a stroke with any power or control. That is why you then have to leave it super late (until near the floor) and try and scrape it over the net.

Get your elbow up and and your racquet up soon as you see that you need to move backwards. This applies in your backhand corner too (including round the head), but the problem is worst in forehand corner because you lose the body rotation that you get on the RTH/backhand side, and therefore get zero power on the FH side.

pcho likes this.
  18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    maybe it is better to take some videos of you doing baseline baseline clear drills instead of games.

games are higher pressure situation in which all the old habits shows up.

pcho likes this.
  19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and try that during a drill session.

it will be awkward but once your body figure out how to get rid of the bad posture and adjust to the correct grip, things will come naturally.

20. pcho

pcho Regular Member

Thanks! I'll try to record some footage of just clears from base to base and see if I can figure out my grip again.