Singapore Open 2019, April 9-14

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by Loh, Feb 28, 2019.

1. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

When it is a follow through shot, your racket is allow to go over the net(your oppponent side).

2. Firas

Firas Regular Member

Luck aside, else we'd be beating ourselves over this forever, I'm pretty certain Viktor is not in the right frame of mind and skill level to beat Momota at the moment or ever in their future H2H. Momota may well be Viktor's nemesis this lifetime and Viktor may end up in the annals of history as being second fiddle to Momota.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

So be it. Come what may. I'm not really interested in them.

More into Ginting vs Momota. At least Ginting doesn't have any phobia.

twawawau and wade like this.
  4. Firas

Firas Regular Member

Viktor's racket was so close to Momota's, Momota should have just follow through to collide rackets on purpose. That'd be unethical but I'd approve since that would be the only way to return an unethical tactic

visor likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OK, for now, I assume you are the real Morten Frost, one of the greatest badminton players of all time.

Welcome aboard. Personally, I hold you in high regard.

Allow me to offer a piece of well-meaning advice. If anybody here strongly disagrees with what you say or attacks you, don't bother to quarrel with them, or you will be just wasting your precious time. Simply share with us your expert views, opinions and insights, which should be much appreciated, regardless whether we concur with you or not.

I'm sure you're a busy man with more important things to do , such as coaching, commentating and, perhaps, mentoring but, of course, if you would like to have a conversation with or even debate anyone who is interested in having a cordial and constructive exchange with you - that should be most beneficial to everyone.

I, for one, look forward to tapping into your immense knowledge, vast experience, and valuable comments on badminton in general and badminton players in particular. Thank you for joining us.

nizze, Griff88, Woman.in.Red and 10 others like this.
  6. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Lol..... For sure Ginting is going for the fast and furious plus tight net shot.

7. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

Only After contact with the birdie no?

8. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

There are already some of the Ranking players in this forum, that includes H.S.Prannoy. Many of them register in their own names. This is one of the trustworthy and reliable forum to know anything about Badminton and it's an Encyclopedia . So, it is not necessary to doubt everything.

Drive Warrior likes this.
  9. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

Dear Mr Frost, please can you ask the powers that be to fix live match broadcasts. I’ve been sad so far this year cos watching live matches has been challenging for non-techie me :’( Thank you

ps: it was so much easier last year, I just had to switch on my (cable) tv ...

10. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Nothing unethical since no rule is broken. It took me quite awhile to accept this as well but it is within the rule, so one will have to either accept it and play normally or return the favour by doing a follow through.

For me, I still hate it even though I accepted it because someone who do that often can actually yield in a good % of success by practising and doing a little geometry study. Take Victor for an example, how many times he did it in the past and the success rate % is very high.

#1230 hyun007, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    visor and Firas like this.
  11. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Of course! If you can hit his racket before you hit the birdie, it is either opponent's racket came over the net or your racket had went over the other side.

12. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Don't believe in everything we read on the internet doesn't mean doubt everything.

13. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Steen Pedersen is a Dane as well and he is usually extremely fair and not overly biased, even when Danish players are involved (if anything, he is sometimes a wee bit too harsh on Danish players).
    However, that takes a great dose of integrity, as you have to check yourself, admit that you sometimes might not live up to your own standards of how neutral you want to be, and then try harder next time.

I'm afraid Morten Frost hasn't done the "self-check" part in quite a long time and thus is openly biased towards his favourite players (which are not just Danes). That results in performances like his commentary of the WS match earlier today, which was, without exaggeration, the most heavily biased piece of commentary I've come across in over twenty years of following different kinds of sport.

Of course, we are all biased as well. We like to see our favourites get praised and don't like it when they - in our opinion - do not receive enough credit. So, we have to check ourselves and our demands as well. But even when I do that (and after watching the match again with some distance), the commentary tomorrow morning of the TTY-AY was not acceptable. I'm sure most of you have similar experiences with commentary vs your favourite players, to varying degrees of intensity.

The BWF stream is still a free service, which I'm very thankful for. I hope the BWF one day turns this into a subscription-based streaming service, so that international fans won't have to use grainy youtube-feeds anymore to get a piece of the action. In addition, critiquing a service I pay for would be something I'm much more comfortable with than essentially moaning about something that is free.
    However, if @Morten Frost Hansen is really who he says he is, and badminton is his passion in life, he might take a little critique like this and at least look at it (even if he ends up disagreeing).

The BWF commentary goes out to so many different people from different nations that neutrality is an absolute necessity to ensure that the sport is a unifying force instead of a divisive one. If, for example, Asian viewers constantly have a feeling that commentary by European commentators is biased towards European players, it would be most unfortunate.

twawawau likes this.
  14. pp35

pp35 Regular Member

Another player who likes to do that too much is Goh Jin Wei. It's often not a fault (but very very close to a fault), but it really blocks the way and distracts her opponent.

15. Kento

Kento Regular Member

From what I am reading on here, there are many Asian viewers who definitely feel that there is such a bias existent.

Personally speaking, those who promote this 'them v us' way of thinking are just harming the unity that we all should be trying to achieve as members of ONE human race.

I am English and yet have no problem with supporting Kento Momota of Japan above all other players including the likes of Rajiv Ouseph from my own country.

I follow Momota-san's progress because of his personality and badminton skill and do not let superfluous factors such as the hue of his skin or the geographical location of his home affect me though these are different to me.

Were European badminton fans or commentators to favour European players over non-Europeans simply because they were European, this would be absurd seeing as there is no commonality between most European races in terms of culture, custom, history etc.

Imagine if you will, an English commentator favouring a Spanish badminton player who is competing against a Japanese player.

Though England and Spain are both countries that lie within the section of the world allocated the label 'Europe', historically speaking, both countries have previously remained enemies over hundreds of years and have waged many wars against one another during the Middle Ages.

Any commentator who falls into the trap of favouring one badminton player over another purely on the basis of residence within the same continent as them needs to get in touch with that area of their brain that processes logical thinking, presuming of course that they have a brain in the first place.

#1235 Kento, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    deepinthemusic and twawawau like this.
  16. minions

minions Regular Member

To think that JPN WD still can't have all JPN WD Final here despite having 5 seeded pairs (not including TanaMoto) here is quite baffling.

Whatever, I hope MatsuNaga can win the title today. If not, JPN WD will receive another huge blow and will no longer been seen as the dominating force.

17. Morten Frost Hansen

Morten Frost Hansen Regular Member

Having the good fortune of seeing the matches live today at the stadium. Feel the pace and excitement you can only experience being there.
    Let's have a good one today

18. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Someone mentioned the correlation between player shouting and their energy level. Kim/Kong have been shouting loud and powerful every matches. Hope to see them continue like that today in Final. Yeeahh!!!

Griff88 likes this.
  19. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Any chance of getting photo op with you today? :cool:

20. Morten Frost Hansen

Morten Frost Hansen Regular Member