Singapore Open 2019, April 9-14

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by Loh, Feb 28, 2019.

1. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

hahahahahahha, eh eh eh eh ^-^ sleep well "Baddy"

2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

If Ginting can smash the whole match, he will win for sure. Just realize that no one in this tournament won Ginting at game 1.

Nishimoto, Chen Long, Chou Tien Chen and Momota, there players were "defensive wall".

I wonder whether Ginting can do this to Son Wan Ho or Lee Chong Wei ?

3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

You too.

4. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

I think many of us were awaiting for you to bombard Momota here if he lost, knowing your unconditional hate for him. :p

I was giggling to myself what you will be writing when Ginting was leading the second set today.

Alias, that didn't happen. No worry, there will eventually be a tournament where he will lose and you can get your awaiting sharpened axe to do the beheading.

#1604 hyun007, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    ebcd and Cunning Linguist like this.
  5. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

If your "plan" results in being 2-7 and 8-12 down in the final game, it isn't exactly a good plan. You have no guarantee your opponent will eventually get tired and even if you count on it, you can't be sure when it is going to happen.
    If Ginting had started his errors in G3 5 minutes later, it would have already been game over for Momota.

If you look at what's happening after 8-12, that's 4 unforced errors in row from Ginting, one where you could say forced error, and another unforced error. 8-12 to 14-12 in just a couple of minutes. Even if your strategy is tiring the opponent out, you can't count on your opponent going off the boil this hard and basically just in time.

nizze, visor, wade and 2 others like this.
  6. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

As for ms final i still think just badminton retriever robot with very weak attacking skills won, and Anthony got tired and too impatient, in ms you can fight quality only with quality as LCW did in Malaysian Open final last year, if Ghinting could keep intensity and guality of G1 longer it would be very single sided

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Ha ha. You know i didn't have time to watch whole match . Ofcourse , Ginting and many others lost their focus in the game 3. What else can i say?.
    Did i miss something?
    Adios...;)

8. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Did you see how Christie lost to Axelsen earlier in the tournament? How many jump smashes did Christie hit in third game? 0. Instead the decided so smash flat-footed. Why would that be, a tactical change maybe? Or could it be related to stamina.

9. super-g

super-g Regular Member

To thing is Momota was playing against Axelsen at All England and Singapore at very slow pace (and lifting all the time needlessly instead of playing net game) and still won. Against Ginting snail-paced game did not obviously work in the first game. Momota then increased pace a bit but was still playing slower than in Indonesia. And yet he was clearly better in the second game today, only Momota's untypical unforced errors kept the scoreline close.

For Ginting it is worrying that despite his young age he can not keep playing the same style during longer matches. Once his pace drops a bit his attacking game becomes much less effective.

10. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Your comment shows lack of understanding the game. If we look at latter part of third game after the break where the match was decided, Momota scored 6 points with his shots and Ginting scored 2 points with his own shots. So who attacking and who is retrieving?

How do you define quality? Does winning world championships mean quality?

11. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

You mean as "single-sided" as this? :D

Ginting probably was under an evil spell + on a healthy dose of ketamine to have 19 winners scored on him in two games by a guy with "very weak attacking skills". :cool:

12. Kento

Kento Regular Member

I have just read the Japan Times article about Kento Momota's victory and I quote from it:

Momota trailed again in the last game as Ginting sought a third straight upset win in as many days.

But the left-hander used a combination of improvisation and guile to craft a run of 13 points in 14 to seal a stunning victory with a disguised drop shot on his first match point.

According to this, it does not sound much like luck played any part in his winning the 3rd and deciding game now does it?

#1612 Kento, Apr 14, 2019
  13. Kento

Kento Regular Member

The news article by the Japan Times shows no evidence of Momota-san having a bad finals performance and if you read the quote I have made from it above, you will see that the Japan Times actually praises Kento for his 'stunning victory'.

Kento went from being 8-12 down to winning 21-13 by winning 13 out of the next 14 points on his way to his 'stunning victory'.

How exactly did he do it? The Japan Times article relates:

'...the left-hander used a combination of improvisation and guile to craft a run of 13 points in 14 to seal a stunning victory with a disguised drop shot on his first match point.'

You do not make sense when you say he scraped through on 'willpower' because were that to be the case then many top players would just 'will' their way to victory each and every time they played as if they were superhuman. What utter nonsense. :rolleyes:

#1613 Kento, Apr 14, 2019
  14. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

I think those two net cought's in G2 end from KM did quite a lot of damage to Ginthing, and thats is some quality play and not some luck, but still even watching live KM - it is so booooooooring

15. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

2-7 down and 8-12 down is nothing. It is all about patience for your opponent to reach his limit in stamina, once that happened, unforced errors will be quite free flow.

Momota knew Ginting explosive attacking style very well and it burnt alot of energy, even concentration need energy and there is a limit how much he can keep that going.

If you look at the pace and even near the end, Momota kept it fast and refuse to smash when he has the opportunity and continue to make Ginting run.

Some players just have the feeling and confident that they can play consistently and able to outlast their opponent even if they are behind in score. They had done that time and time again and that is why they don't bother too much about falling behind. Of course there are time when it didn't work out where your opponent is playing so well and able to keep the points short that you do not have the chance to fully run him down.

KhoaHa, visor, Kento and 1 other person like this.
  16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I missed the match :mad:. I was sitting on an aeroplane to London. The final score-line is a relief, though; we now have a healthy 7:3 H2H!

As for the Badpal twitter report:

I was beaten. Ginting played a higher quality game. I almost gave up when I was trailing in game two, and strove only to return each shot.

Badpal → Throughout this tournament, Momota was not in peak condition, especially emotionally. However, he showed tenacity, and it was a well-earned victory.

azerez, fnd80 and LenaicM like this.
  17. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Don't take this too seriously, journalist like to paint a picture of what they like sometime.

twawawau likes this.
  18. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

That is not healthy, looking from ASG perspective :p

19. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Still not as boring as watching chen long though :D

20. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Watch what happens next.

In view of his recent losses against Kento Momota, People are now probably going to start saying that Anthony Ginting too has a mental blockage against him.

:rolleyes: