Chen Yufei (陳雨菲)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by pcll99, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Also just look at how the match panned out - in G1, she was in front most of the way before briefly losing the lead, 14-15, and thereafter she stepped it up to romp home with 7 points on the trot for a 21-15 victory; in G2, she was still in the lead around mid-game, 11-7, 13-10, then at 14-12, she lost 7 points straight, 14-19, and dropped the set, 21-16; finally, in the decider, she , after a 3-1 start, fell behind all the way, struggling to cover the gap in vain, to the finishing line.

On the whole, apart from G1, CYF became more error-prone as well as visibly tired from G2 onward, simply lost steam. Of course, credit has to be given to Akane, who despite being pushed all over the court, esp in G1 and part of G2, was able to outlast her opponent with her amazing retrieving ability and tenacity.

As badminton at the highest level is a contest of both technical skills and physicality, not to mention other extraneous factors such as form, creativity, mental toughness that separate players more or less in the same league, that is, among equals, Akane certainly earned a well-deserved victory for a place in the final where I'd expect her to be the one lifting the winner's BAC'19 trophy.

2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

That's coherent hehe ;)

Saying CY has stamina issues at 21 years old with all the training she is going through and all the hard work the Chinese team does behind the scene to make sure she (and other players) is physically ready and the 19 victories out of 22 matches she played so far in 2019 beating the likes of TTY, NO or RI, that would be like saying 95% of her opponents (including TTY and NO) have stamina issues. TTY being number 1 let's just conclude everyone have stamina issues then :D.

AY is just a tough opponent to beat... She generally never give up a point easily even at the end of the third set when she is about to get a net kill from her opponent, remember the German open final against Ratchanok! That was all mental strength from AY to "steal" that decisive point from RI.

CY is physically ready and one serious contender for the Gold at Tokyo 2020!

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-04-27/doc-ihvhiewr8562642.shtml
    [​IMG]
    From the horse's mouth, Chen Yufei summed up at the post-match interview:" Today, I actually played a slightly more normal game than the previous two days. a little more steady, but in the third game ,my speed slowed down, after being restrained by my opponent I lost a series of points, her physical fitness is better than mine."

The author opined, from their H2H, Akane enjoys an 8-5 psychological advantage. In the opening game, Chen Yufei's more positive and proactive stance gained her the upper hand but once the opponent equalized to force the decider, her inferior stamina let the score get wider and wider against her.

She also spoke in general about the relative strength between her and the Japanese women's singles when asked , saying it's about the same standard, winning and losing to each other is normal. adding," we are gradually making progress and continuously striving hard, any good result is the outcome of our hard work."

Talking about next month's Sudirman Cup, she revealed;" Previously, I caught the flu which affect my competition but , basically, I've gotten over it, for now, I will put in extra effort to prepare for the Sudirman Cup." (In the event you're up against Team Japan?, the reporter asked.) " I 'll attach greater importance to it. This time here I lost, next I will be even more rigorous at training to increase my stamina and speed, and strengthen my mind."

#103 Justin L, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Your logic doesn't follow, besides stamina, there are also the player's form, the pressure of the occasion, and, perhaps other factors in play that day,such as accumulated fatigue esp in back-to-back tournaments, better handling of the crucial points, for example.

Anyway, read what Chen Yufei said post-match. I repeat for the umpteenth time, there is no shame winning on better stamina or superior physicality.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In short, as I've said before in different words, matches are not decided by stamina alone, of course not, but it may be the main or overriding factor sometimes, as in the case of He Bingjiao up till now, also in Intanon's case to a certain extent (but she seems to have improved in that aspect again of late) and previously for Tai Tzu Ying in her younger days (if not for her six-pack, do you think she will be what she is today ?)

6. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I totally agree about other factors affecting a player’s perormance especially on a tournament day and I admit she was probably under performing physically if she had a flu lately which I was unaware of.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too, I was unaware of that when I posted my view as the article wasn't up yet, and I'm glad what CYF said at the post -match interview vindicated my analysis.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

[​IMG]

Chen Yufei continues to impress me, affirming my belief that she has finally come of age albeit still only 21 years of age.

Frankly, I had expected her to slow down, unwind, or be mentally somewhat unprepared for another OG qualifying tournament so soon after her Sudirman Cup triumph. And I hasten to add, in the semifinal against Jindapol, she exhibited visible signs of cumulative fatigue - even Steen Pedersen said so - when she failed to maintain a hefty lead in G2 and lost it. But in the decider, she mustered the energy to trounce her opponent decisively by 21-6.

Even more surprising, CYF at the AUS Open Finals today played better than I expected, putting up a masterclass performance for a comprehensive two straight-set victory, especially winning G2 by an incredible 21-3, unprecedented between top-class women's singles players, I believe. In fact, it's not just how she played and won but also,in my opinion, her ability to adjust her mindset to take on a well-known tough opponent who has been very impressive herself in the way she disposed of all her opponents en route to the final, particularly the manner in which she drubbed the very capable, Intanon Ratchanok, the round before in summary fashion with what I thought was, for her, unseen before speedy aggressive badminton, relentless and ferocious in attack coupled with tenacity in defence.

To be frank, after watching how Nozomi overpowered Intanon yesterday, not because the latter played below par, which is not the case, but more the former suddenly injecting pace now and then and commanding the rallies in style, I was rather worried for Chen Yufei and seriously doubted she could stop Nozomi this time.

To my amazement, CYF rose to the challenge and stunned Nozomi for yet another resounding victory, adding another title to her tournament record and reducing her negative H2H against the latter to 3-4, in actuality winning the last three of four meetings where the loss occurred at the World Tour Finals'18 by retirement at the score of 4-5 on grounds of injury.

On the whole, quite heartening to see Chen Yufei has grown from strength to strength. It's to be hoped that a couple of her fellow teammates in women's singles can follow her footsteps in good time.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-06-09/doc-ihvhiews7675990.shtml
    [​IMG]
    At the BWF Super 300 Australian Open 2019 Finals, the CHN WS1 Chen Yufei defeated the JPN WS Nozomi Okuhara to clinch the women's singles championship, even winning the second set by a single digit 21-3 score.

Post-match Chen Yufei shared her feelings of winning the title, " Very excited at capturing the Australian Open, it's the first stop after the Sudirman Cup, I feel it's a good start, giving me even greater confidence."

When talking about the opponent she beat for the title, Chen Yufei said she had already made ample preparation," before the final against Nozomi, I was fully prepared for a patient and long-rally match because her characteristic is the ability to run; therefore, having made such a preparation meant it wouldn't be too difficult to bear."

After the tournament victory, Chen Yufei also realized her own shortcomings, she explained:"I played five matches this tournament, there is bound to be some problems to conclude, areas that still need improvement. For example, in the match today (versus Nozomi), I was trailing from the start, how do I play myself into form is what I have to think about."

Falling behind in the opening set, Chen Yufei was able to turn it around to win the first game, talking about her own transformation, she explained," while trailing, mentally, the more so, I have to become a little more self-confident, and then try to up the pace a bit."

As for her future plans, Chen Yufei said that in the coming months she has to properly prepare for the World Championships:" the immediate plan is precisely more training, then afterwards in July is the Indonesian Open and getting ready for the World Championships. Many thanks to our fans for all their support, also grateful to the overseas fans for making us feel at home playing abroad."

#109 Justin L, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  10. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

So dissapointed with CYF's performance in this WC, she looked so stressed and under pressure not her first WC though no idea what happened to her.

11. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

She looked dead tired. Usually her footwork is effortless. In her match against PVS, she could barely jump anymore. I wonder what caused that? Maybe intense training camp before the WC?

12. gelopisan

gelopisan Regular Member

She finished her SF match so late last night and has to play early today I think that's one of the reasons of her defeat, yes she looked dead tired.. but ofc Sindhu played so well too.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the just-concluded China Open '19 S100 event, I felt that Chen Yufei was reading Tai Tzu Ying's game better than before. Still, I feel CYF would do well to widen her shot repertoire for TTY is also reading her game quite well.

It's a pity at 20-19 in the decider, CYF wasn't able to close it out and lost it 20-22, the final two shots seemed well anticipated by TTY. It really could've gone either way, but a miss is as good as a mile.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-10-20/doc-iicezuev3495494.shtml - dated 20th Oct (Sun) regarding Chen Yufei's injury
     陈雨菲同日稍晚在微博上表示:“大家不用太过担心啦,不是特别严重,但还需要一点时间去治疗和恢復,会尽快重新站在赛场上的,谢谢大家的关心!我没事!一以贯之的努力,不得懈怠的人生。就算失败再多次,我都不会放弃努力,会一直尝试直到成功。”
    Chen Yufei later in the same evening posted on her weibo (microblog):" Everyone need not worry too much, it's not particularly serious, but still requires a bit of time for therapy and recovery. I will try to return to competition as soon as possible, thank you for your concern! I'm fine! What does not kill you, makes you stronger. Even if I fail many times, I will not give up trying and will persevere until success happens."
    [​IMG]
    [I noticed she has withdrawn from this week's French Open. The article did not mention anything about when she will return to competition or which tournament she will next play in. - Justin]

Cheung, Gacon1234star and LenaicM like this.
  15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Wish a well recovery for CYF..

yuquall likes this.
  16. naim564

naim564 Regular Member

IT Engineer
    There goes another good player WS-China. Something really spooks MS/WS Chinese players to be specific WS more... so many good players injured and out. Need to have many good players backup.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-11-10/doc-iicezuev8497386.shtml
    [​IMG]
    In the final of the Fuzhou China Open, Chen Yufei successfully defended her title. Facing old rival, Nozomi Okuhara, Chen Yufei after first dropping a set went on to turn around the next two sets and finally won by the score of 9-21, 21-12, and 21-18. Post-match, Chen Yufei put the victory down to a test of willpower. Incidentally, it's her third win against Nozomi Okuhara this year and also her 5th title of the year following the All England, Swiss, Australian, and Thai Opens.

Once again storming into the final, Chen Yufei longed to defend the Fuzhou title. Although in the semifinals she beat the energetic Michelle Li, but that 72-minute bitter fight pushed Chen Yufei to the limit as her training has been affected by the minor ankle sprain sustained three weeks ago at the Denmark Open.

In the final face-off with Nozomi Okuhara today, Chen Yufei before the match was fully aware that in order to beat the well- known runner cum retriever, she has to strike with greater willpower and determination than Okuhara. In the warm-up area, Chen Yufei already had her right leg bandaged as a follow-up to the previous injury.

In G1, Chen Yufei was obviously not in the game, her repeated errors quickly led to a 21-9 defeat. In G2, Chen adjusted her tempo, leading by a big margin she pulled one set back in a spurt of energy to score 21-12. During the tiebreaking set, Chen Yufei's toe developed a blister and she called for a medical timeout, after treatment, she stood up again to applause from the crowd. Following on her decisive increase in pace and determined offensive, the score advantage continued to widen. In spite of Okuhara's refusal to give up, Chen Yufei's employment of resolute tactics and thirst for victory resulted in her defeat of the current world number one, Nozomi Okuhara.

From being a kid on the team to a now worthy 1st women's singles in CBA, ChenYufei said this is her 4th appearance at Fuzhou. Going all out to win has enabled Chen Yufei to achieve her pre-tournament wish to retain her crown, and "the blessed state" ( a play on Fuzhou 's name in Mandarin) is also evidence of the true maturity and confidence of the pillar of Chinese women's singles.

[Chen Yufei's injury three weeks ago at the Denmark Open turned out to be a minor ankle sprain, fortunately, otherwise she wouldn't be able to compete at the Fuzhou China Open this week. - Justin Li]

#117 Justin L, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    kwun and Hbmao like this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, I'm not carried away by Chen Yufei's victory, her 5th World Tour Super series title of the year, and successfully defending her Fuzhou Open crown won last year.

Rather, I see it as only the beginning of perhaps another breakthrough in her young professional career, at age 21. Her maiden WTS750 title was achieved at Fuzhou in 2018, and that marks her first breakthrough, opening a new chapter in her transition to the senior circuit at age 20, one year after graduating from the junior circuit during which she captured the world junior title at 18.

No doubt, her H2H records against Tai Tzu Ying, 1-14 heavily skewed in TTY's favour, is still a major concern to her and her coaches, clearly an indication that TTY is her most difficult opponent. However, considering TTY is in her prime these few years and the four year younger CYF, now age 21, and in the 3rd year of her pro career, just managed to break the duck by scoring her first victory over TTY at the All England earlier this year, things are beginning to look brighter for the young aspirant, though TTY unquestionably remains her most formidable opponent thus far.

It is to be hoped that CYF who demonstrated maturity and mental toughness in capturing the just-concluded Fuzhou Open by her remarkable come-from-behind victory over the redoubtable Nozomi Okuhara, will continue to grow from strength to strength. At the same time, I wish to see CYF finally and soon solve the TTY problem; hopefully, it won't be long before I stop hearing anyone say TTY has CYF's number or owns her.

Of course, besides TTY, there are a few other opponents who pose threats to CYF, such as Carolina Marin (H2H 1-3), P V Sindhu (H2H 3-6), and Akane Yamaguchi (H2H 6-10), all of whom have significant positive H2H against CYF albeit not that one-sided. As for Nozomi Okuhara (H2H 4-4) and Intanon Ratchanok (H2H 10-2 in CYF's favour), they are still tough opponents and not to be underestimated. Apart from these two, I'd also include Michelle Li and An Se Young as two other strong opponents for her to look out for, esp the latter young up-and-comer, a wunderkind.

I'm sure there's still work to be done for Chen Yufei, and the CHN coaches know that. Nonetheless, as the saying goes, a good beginning is half the battle won. Way to go, Chen Yufei !

#118 Justin L, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heartiest congratulations to Chen Yufei, World Tour Finals 2019 Champion, and beating Tai Tzu Ying, the current world number one, for the title!

2019 has been a big breakthrough for Chen Yufei and at the age of 21 she seems to have finally come of age earlier than usual for most athletes.

To be honest, before the start of her match with Tai Tzu Ying, I wasn't sure if she could make it past Tai Tzu Ying who held a one-sided H2H record against her, 14-1 to be exact. Glad to say Chen Yufei succeeded again in overcoming Tai Tzu Ying for the second time this year, after breaking the duck at the All England in March.

Yes, with this remarkable victory, Chen Yufei is the new world ranked number 1, a well-deserved status in the early stage of her young career. Wishing her many more good years to come. Way to go! Jiayou!

#119 Justin L, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the Perodua Malaysia Masters '20, Chen Yufei has just inflicted a comprehensive defeat on Carolina Marin in the semifinals and made the final of the opening tournament in the new year, a good start in 2020. With this convincing victory by the score of 21-15 and 21-14, she has of late beaten all her main rivals, namely, Tai Tzu Ying, Carolina Marin, P V Sindhu, Nozomi Okuhara, Akane Yamaguchi, and Intanon Ratchanok, just to name these few top guns over the last six months or so.

This is indeed a heartening sign that Chen Yufei has without question emerged as a consistent, stable, and reliable top CHN WS player who can deliver the goods. Let's hope she can continue to consolidate her position as world number one and grow from strength to strength, the future is beginning to look very bright for the young 21-year-old talent.

Tomorrow, we shall see how Chen Yufei deals with Tai Tzu Ying again after their last meeting where she beat her at the World Tour Finals barely a month ago. As we know, CYF still holds a most unflattering H2H record, 2-14, against TTY who, on paper, undoubtedly remains her most difficult opponent till now.

However, whatever the outcome in the title bout tomorrow, we should expect a more credible or even result going forward, no longer that one-sided as in the past. We shall see.