Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Just remembered how Ahsan/Hendra was beaten by Endo/Wata in WTF last year by a shocking scoreline too. 4-21, 18-21
    Minions had the decency to be a little bit lower than that and in different order 21-18 21-3 lol

wade likes this.
  2. wade

wade Regular Member

There's reason why aryono miranat keep telling marcus to be patient, so this doesn't happen. he really need to learn how to play a half steep smash like kevin.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He can be more stubborn and emotional than Kevin in not a very good way. Sometimes hard work alone is not enough.

4. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I don’t really think just being patient helps though. I mean, the opponents are just gonna keep lifting and keep Marcus moving around behind, and then play a block once Marcus is out of position then minions are on the defence. Steep half smashes are effective only if there is a threat of power play from the user. Doing so wouldn’t create opportunities for Kevin at the front. Although it would be better if he really runs out of steam and can’t do anything else. Just my opinion, interested to know your thoughts too

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Maybe what the coach meant by being patient was to not rush and wait for the right moment to launch his attacks. Marcus just kept trying to smash as hard as he could even though he knew it didn't work instead of changing the pace by mixing in a disguised or sliced drop shots. It was like he couldn't see what was going on on court which he usually could do when he was not being too impatient.

6. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

china play with the cock
    they use light or heavy cock depends on which gives advantage to chinese players
    they can change whenever they wish
    not fair at all
    not first time it happens

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

First of all, not the word you want to use for 'shuttle'....second of all, absolutely ridiculous theory. There wasn't even a Chinese player in the match :D

WhiteStringJunkie likes this.
  8. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

many chinese players are in final
    remember when bwf has to test the speed of the cock before semifinal
    in a tournament in china this year or last year
    why?
    players complain that the cock is too slow

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

They test the shuttles every day, at every tournament.

10. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Yes i notice that too, jawline not as obvious as before. definitely he gained weight, further confirmed after reading one of the PBSI staff comment too.

11. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I thought he tried a couple of times though, normal drop shots that is (he doesn’t possess any disguised or slice drops). The japanese simply lifted back to him. Ironically I thought they stood a better chance to win when the opponents attempted to counterattack because the game would transpose into flat play where Kevin could get involved. That was one difference from this match I noticed compared to their QF ad SF matches, partly because I don’t think Watanabe/Endo would stand a chance in the flat game whereas Kamura/Sonoda and Han/Zhou could on their good days

twawawau likes this.
  12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

He used to have disguised drop shots in 2016 - 2017 and played quite a number of winners from those. That's why probably where patience might come in handy, so he can slow down and think of what he should do in order to make things go their way.
    Clearing used to help buying some time, but with his defense yesterday it was no longer an option.

The JPN pairs totally owned him. When I watched Endo/Wata match in SF, this match might turn out to be about Endo's or Marcus nerves. Just like Kevin said, Endo/Wata came much more prepared.

13. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

I assume the disguised drop shots you refer to are the ones where he jumps and checks the shuttle? Correct me if I’m wrong. I think he did a couple yesterday though. But like you said it worked in 2016-2017, that was when his smash actually had some threat. For drop shots (or half smashes for that matter) to be effective, there has to be a credible threat of a decent full power smash. Nowadays opponents stand closer to the service line in receiving his smashes than back in 16-17 because his full smash is not what it was, and in turn his disguised drop shots (a relatively simple one where his arm noticeably slows down) are not as effective as before. That may be why he doesn’t see a point in doing it, but yeah definitely better than smashing into his own side :D

#3573 rhoder, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  14. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

*(3) All England Open Super 1000; 06-10 March ->R1 exit --> They said they didnt have enough time for preparation.
    *(4) Malaysia Open Super 750; 02-07 April -> QF exit --> i dont know they said....
    *(5) Singapore Open Super 500; 09-14 April -> SF exit --> They were late "into" the game and Kam/Son were more prepared
    - Badminton Asia Championships (Individual); 23-28 April -> Silver Medalist --> They didnt prepare well... out of stamina... Endo/Watanabe prepared better....

Now, Endo/Watanabe played for more than 1 hour against the Korean Pair the nite before final and as you can see it was not an easy games....

Perhaps Marcus didnt sleep well that nite.... hence out of stamina during Final.... you can just ignore my theory... but I read somewhere before, sometimes Marcus couldnt sleep well thinking about match..... hope I'm wrong

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Haha yesterday's drop shots were far from being disguised, you could tell he was going to do it from a mile from the way he did his smashes. But there are other shot options he could actually choose if he took the time to think about it.

How could Kevin be more threatening from the back in terms of power so his drop shots or half smashes get the effect?

16. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Hmm that’s an interesting one. I don’t think Kevin is more threatening from the back. But I also don’t think his half smashes are more effective. It’s his reverse slice that confuses his opponents very well, something Marcus doesn’t possess. Kevin definitely has more variety, but the japanese were fairly successful keeping him quiet at the back other than the few times they got caught by the reverse slice drop. If anything, the fact that opponents like to keep Kevin at the back is a testament that one can have all the variety, but without the power it would be difficult to be an effective rear court player.

Unless Marcus can find that disguised drop you were referring to (I still think its effectiveness would decrease with the opponent’s forward court positioning, but it would be a start), him trying to play variety to extend the rally without meaningful opportunities generated would be like Scarlett O’Hara: “I’ll think about it tomorrow”. Slow down yes, but he would still have to think about how to create opportunities with the next shot. Without a decently threatening smash, difficult to do so imho.

#3576 rhoder, Apr 28, 2019
  17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn. There is nothing to proof, i believe thats what in their mind. and i dont blame them. F is still a great result.

and for the shuttles, there are many Chinese players in SF too but of course Endo defence is better (a very patient player) than Sonoda defence. Not many players are like him to be honest these days. Dont understand how he lost 8/9SS finals straight

Just hope they dont fade away like LC/ZN and still be in top 4

#3577 Yoji, Apr 28, 2019
  18. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

marcus said the cock is heavier than yesterday
    you don't believe him?
    lololololololol

19. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

not too important tournament by the way

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So you're basing your entire ridiculous conspiracy theory on one statement by one player who just lost his match....reasonable
    If the shuttle was heavier, btw, it'd be faster. I guess you and he mean 'slower', huh?
    And yeah, I don't really believe the shuttle was to blame when they lost against one of probably only 2 pairs that is even smaller than them. Also I don't think Marcus was trying to make a lame excuse with his statement.

#3580 j4ckie, Apr 28, 2019