BARFOOT & THOMPSON New Zealand Open 2019

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by yuquall, Apr 29, 2019.

1. minions

minions Regular Member

Yeah, time will tell if she can qualify to OG Tokyo or not. If she keeps winning, she can secure the spot.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I were KBA, I'd get her to concentrate on the pro circuit and aim for Tokyo 2020; for the junior circuit, just win one WJC will do and forget it. What a gem for Korean badminton.

3. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Yeah it’s rather unsportsmanlike to do that in front of the opponent you just beat. I hope that was uncontrolled though...

4. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Yeah, I agree. He defends and defends until an opportunity comes up and gives a few volleys of his own smashes or drops. In this case, Ahsan and Setiawan are more experienced and patient plus they, too, have solid defence. I saw their (Endo/Watan - Ahsan/Setiawan) WTF clash last year...this match is such a huge difference from back then.
    Also, maybe Hayakawa being there brought bad luck? (I'm only joking)

5. trizzforce

What do you mean by uncontrolled? Adrenaline rush?
    In any case, I would find that incredibly offensive and triggering if I were the opponent. That's tantamount to a taunt.

skhai91 and LenaicM like this.
  6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah Endo is such a patient guy, but against Hendra he almost smash the racket at 14-20G2 and has been restless after that or for whole of G2 G3. The serve capped it all. Its just another level man.

Had Yuta not defend like crazyly god, the score will have been further

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

JAPAN FLOPS, KOREA TEENAGER SHINES
    Japan ends this Super 300 event with two runner-ups despite they came to Auckland with almost full force. Korea and Indonesia reap two titles each, leaving mixed doubles goes to Malaysia.

Mixed doubles is the most thrilling clash of five finals, the winner and beaten finalist only separated by two points, 29-27 for Chan PS/Goh LY victory, second title in this year after got THA Masters triumphant. It's Jordan/Oktavianti old habit, couldn't hold the nerves well in deciding game, leading all the way then the vast experienced Malaysians closing the gap and brought the match into the deadlock, both pairs had championships point alternately until Oktavianti fails in flat drive exchange, the shuttlecock mishit into the net to end final tie.

Not only one or two, three but four down to same pair, what a tremendous story for Kim SY/Kong HY in Auckland to beat Japanese top-ranked pairs in a row, started from Tanaka/Yonemoto, World Champions Matsumoto/Nagahara, former world number one Fukushima/Hirota and last one the Olympic Champions Matsutomo/Takahashi. A superb fitness and excellent detemination to portray Korean recipe to beat all those formidable opponents. MatsuTaka look below par, under pressure and aren't on their element in final match. A quite grim precedent for Japan in Sudirman Cup campaign but certainly they will bounce back in this upcoming major event.

Finally, Jonatan Christie can top BWF World Tour tournament after tasting runner-up in previous Superseries and GP Gold circuit. Christie outclasses Ng Ka Long who completely blank, couldn't too much to stem his fast-improved opponent, Christie has better defense, offensive, deceptive also net shots that troubling the HKG player most of times, 21-12 / 21-13, a lop-sided final.

In women's singles, biggest surprise in NZL Open 2019 final result arrived when the unbelievable An Se Young performs extra ordinary, defies the odds beating more-fancied opponent, the Olympic Champion Li Xuerui 21-19 / 21-15, her technical skill looks mature beyond her age with strong defense and good attacking smash as well. A sigh of relief for Korea to find talented player in the crisis of their declining badminton recently.

Endo/Watanabe must be satisfied with runner-up this week as they lost to high-profile pair Ahsan/Setiawan who demonstrate how good they are in tactic, managing the tempo and rich of shot variations that keep the Japanese flat footed. The Indonesians take over the lead post interval break of third game to grab seven consecutive points and never loosen the grip to pressure their solid rival. No surprise if INA will field Ahsan/Setiawan to play more in Sudirman Cup instead of the off-form Gideon/Sukamuljo.

#467 CLELY, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Baddie lover, azerez and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Loosen up, people. :eek: She is only a 16 years old acting like an active teenage girl. Looks like she did it when she was looking at some audience probably her teammates teasing her or anything nothing to do with the match. I don't think she even knew that what she was doing was a "taunt".

Biglever, LenaicM and Baddie lover like this.
  9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

ya, i also think An was not looking at her opponent when she did that dance move. she's not kevin ;)

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Don't think Kevin ever danced. It would have been cute ;)

Most of the young players lost their childhood or teenhood spending most of their time training badminton away from their parents. Kevin for example had spent 6 days a week in a city 4 hours away from home since he was 11. Badminton is their life. I like seeing them being free and enjoying themselves.

Baddie lover likes this.
  11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Well it does look offensive I agree with that and I mean by uncontrolled like she was just overjoyed by winning that match at her age and simply did that and could have done anything else.

But like @yuquall just said may be she was just looking at her teammates and it’s a little thing they all do when they are together or they dared her to do this if she won the match. The camera angle can be tricky. Let’s try not to judge her based on this moment only.

Baddie lover likes this.
  12. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

Last year Minions lost to Han/Zhou 17-21 at these scoreline, now new record is 3-21 :D

13. LCVBadminton

LCVBadminton New Member

The dance comes from Fortnite, where the dances are used as taunts - after killing a player you dance to annoy them. I'd be surprised if ASY was totally unaware of how that would be perceived. She was only 16 at the time of course and kids do dumb stuff, but that doesn't absolve them of responsibility for their actions. Maybe she didn't realize that it was unsportsmanlike, but if no one expresses their disappointment towards that behaviour then she would never learn. Doesn't mean she's a bad person who we should never support, just that at that time she made a poor choice and hopefully she'll mature.

ebcd likes this.
  14. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

same dance as this one?

I actually thought that that was funny, didn't know the origin of the dance

15. fanyy

fanyy Regular Member

Pure delight watching Ahsan/Setiawan play. So much class and intelligence on court. Endo/Yuta were also great. A nice change from the always super intense and at times contentious MD matches.
    This tournament was surprisingly enjoyable! Everything from the atmosphere, audience and the guy commentating. Loved his enthusiasm! Felt like he was commentating on a Premier League game :D
    The Kiwis should consider hosting a higher ranked tournament!

16. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah it's a fortnite dance and it's very common among western kids. It's called the 'Floss dance' and it was invented by The backpack kid at Katty Perry show. Later it was included in Fortnite game. Kids in America does this all the time. For couple of years,the social media was flooded with kids doing this dance and even adults does this too. It was bit funny at first but nowadays it's out of 'trend'. Not sure why some people here are doing a post-mortem on a celebration. And An was basically a kid at that time. I don't think it's a disrespectful dance. The kids do it just for fun.

Play hard. Train harder.

#476 Biglever, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    ebcd likes this.
  17. BojepJoe

BojepJoe Regular Member

Unemployed
    LOL that kid did not invented the dance. He just famous at instagram doing it and self claimed the dance. Later on he want a profit from fortnite, ofc he didn't get nothing. He's just an annoying kid.

anything surrounding that dance is cringe worthy really.

trizzforce likes this.
  18. kenner30

kenner30 Regular Member

I wonder if the mizuno rackets are for real lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I see. No idea what Fortnite was.

20. trizzforce

Anyone knows what racket Endo is using? It doesn't really look like a Duora Z Strike, which Watanabe is using currently.