Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, Lu Guangzu beat Tommy Sugiarto twice last month, at the BAC and the SG Open, before losing to him this time. So, not too bad, but hope he can do much better than that and score some good title wins going forward if he is to be in the running for a place at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics; perhaps, a tall order as he has to contend with Shi Yuqi, Chen Long and Lin Dan who are, esp the first two named, well ahead of him overall at the moment.

2. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Well done Sun Feixiang beating Heo Kwang Hee, ranked 44th in the world. He has improved. His stroke play is very good and he can put the shuttle at various parts of the court accurately, even under pressure.He also played the net very well preventing HKH from using his deadly smashes. In fact it was the net play which frustrated the Korean. He will be meeting Jonaton Christie, world ranked 9 in the next round. That will be a good test for him.

Justin L likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, Sun Feixiang has improved quite a bit. Even Heo Kwang Hee didn't play badly at first, in fact, he's improved too, but, to my surprise, after a narrow win in G1 by deuce, 25-23, and dropping G2 by a clear margin, 21-16, he suddenly tanked in the decider.

Sun FX, on the other hand, continued his steady pace, patient in attack and defence, a sign of maturity for a 20-year old. Well done. Tomorrow's hurdle, Jonatan Christie, is a tricky proposition, I don't expect SFX to be able to clear the hurdle just yet; still ample room for improvement but looks a good prospect.

Li Yun, otoh, is not calm and focused enough, she mishandled four gamepoints in the second set to lose six points straight t Gregoria Maroska; otherwise, I think, LY has a fighting chance in the decider though, admittedly, I feel GM is a little stronger in attack and defence.

Wang Zhiyi is becoming more and more like Wang Shixian, a stroke player with few smashes,no firepower, and just not as skillful yet. Actually, in my opinion, WZY is capable of a better attack than WSX if she wants to, I've seen her played a bit more aggressively once in a blue moon.

4. antssantss

Retired
    Cant believe Wang Zhiyi won . She was down in the third game and I thought thats it. I think WZY has better footwork then Wang Shixian and I think she is more like Chen Yufei both in footwork and stroke play. She needs more firepower and anticipation. Noticeably, she picks up the drop shots very low below the net. That has to be improved.
    But to beat a Japanese WS player is quite an achievement. Congratulations to her.
    I was surprised Wei Yaxin played so poorly.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-05-03/doc-ihvhiewr9607350.shtml

Team China's Sudirman Cup 2019 lineup:

MS = Chen Long , Shi Yuqi,

WS = Chen Yufei, He Bingjiao,

MD = Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen, Han Chengkai/Zhou Haodong

WD = Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan, Du Yue/Li Yinhui

XD = Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong, Wang Yilu/Huang Dongping

He Jiting(male) and Zheng Yu(female) are reserves for doubles

MS Lu Guangzu and WS Han Yue reserves for singles

(I shan't translate the author's reasons for their selection)

6. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

In last 4 tournments liu liang's performances are below par. Very dissappointing how he lost in last 4 tournments.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I wont expect a 16-yr-old to show even a reasonable degree of consistency yet. He's still going through a learning process, need some hard knocks to make him learn the hard way - if he's made of sterner stuff, he'll improve by and by. Let's give him more time.

8. antssantss

Retired
    I agree that he has been playing poorly. When he was in Europe he won quite a few tournaments. I hope its because the coaches are putting him through a change of play that will benefit him in future.
    Frankly I preferred Li Yunze's style of play. He has good footwork and he takes the shuttle early. I was surprised he beat the Malaysian Kok Jing Hong so easily as KJH beat the no 1 seed, C. Adinata yesterday.

9. antssantss

Retired
    Wang Zhiyi and Sun Feixiang have now tasted defeat by very good players and will now know what they have to do to reach a higher level. I didn't expect WZY to go to 3 sets. She has potential but there is still a lot of work to do. As for SFX he can now see the difference in the quality of the top ranked players and got to work terribly hard to get to that level. He has to change his style of play as I think its too easily read by the opposition.

10. antssantss

Retired
    What a talented player An Se Young is. I think she will win tomorrow. Its great to see a new talent in the making.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Despite defeat, the way Wang Zhiyi saved 4 matchpoints against her from Aya Ohori at the NZ Open 2019 QFs really impressed me. The mental strength she showed to force the decider will stand her in good stead in future, and she also played smart, switching tactics, serving low, injecting pace, demonstrating she is a thinking player. Once she improves her overall game - I'd love to see her attacking more and also bulk up a little for a bit more power - I think she may go far.

antssantss likes this.
  12. antssantss

Retired
    Well done . Li Yunze won the Pembangunan Jaya Raya tournament in Indonesia, beating Bobby Setiabudi in two tight games. Dai Weng also triumphed in the WS category and China also took the WD. China was also finalists in the MD and XD but lost to Indonesian opponents. Congratulations to players and team members.
    I wonder when and where we will be able to see the juniors in action again?

13. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Li yunze lost to liu liang in two semi finals and a quater final previously. He won the polish junior open before.

14. antssantss

Retired
    Yes he did. But he is improving. Lets see his next outing.

15. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

They must participate not only in junior tournments but aslo in senior tournments like international challenges to get the exposure.

16. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Can't see any progress in chen xioaxin

17. antssantss

Retired
    Yes I agree. Presently her game is weak
    Cai Yanyan is far better

18. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Dissappointed to see chinese coaches still keeping faith in curent mens doubles combinations even though they were unable to perform well

19. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Tang jinhua not seen in about a year now. Is she injured or retired??

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just found out the China National Badminton Team Championship is ongoing as reported here http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-05-12/doc-ihvhiews1333870.shtml

Li Xuerui is playing for BAYI Team but in WD only partnering Chen Xiaofei, their WS is helmed by Wang Zhiyi. The tournament is now at the semifinals stage and the results as follows:
    BAYI 3:1 Guangdong
    WD: Chen Xiaofei/Li Xuerui 21-12 , 23-21 Wu Yingshi/Xu Shiyu
    MS: Li Shifeng 21-13, 21-12 Han Zhen
    XD: Sun Feixiang/Zheng Yuwen 15-21, 11-21 Xiao Shicheng/Zheng Xuhui
    WS: Wang Zhiyi 21-10, 21-9 Xie Zhenyang

Hunan 3:1 Zhejiang
    WD: Wei Yaxin/Peng Qin 18-21,21-14,21-16 Du Peng/Ni Bowen
    MS: Zhou Zeqi 23-21, 21-14 Lin Guipu
    XD: Zhang Wen/Wei Yaxin 19-21, 23-25 Wang Sijie/Du Peng
    WS: Zhou Meng 24-22, 21-15 Han Qianxi

The 3rd/4th playoff Zhejiang vs Guangdong is on Sunday afternoon 13:30 hrs local time
    The Final BAYI vs Hunan will be played Sunday 18:30 hrs

Note: Glad to see Lin Guipu playing for Zhejiang and he put up a credible fight before losing to Zhou Zeqi, 23-21 and 21-14.