Misaki Matsutomo ( 松友美佐紀 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Aug 16, 2010.

1. wade

wade Regular Member

It's been a long time since I've seen them play and not gonna lie, I'm very impressed by the way matsutomo play at the front court...she's becoming so aggresive!!

Definitely need to watch more of their matches in the future.

badminton fancier and minions like this.
  2. minions

minions Regular Member

TakaMatsu have won 5 titles. The biggest one they have achieved this year is WTF. Though they missed AG individual gold medal, their big titles are more than any of other Japanese players. To me, they are the most successful JPN WD in the history. They have won 14 SS/WT500+ titles throughout their career plus one OG gold medal.

Next year, their target should be the WC title. They miss this title in their collection. I hope they are trying for it, but it will not easy as other JPN WDs will stand in their way to earn the WC title.

3. badminton fancier

badminton fancier Regular Member

Yes I agree, they are the pair who most of the time creates history for JPN in many occasions. I hope they will keep improving and give the audience great matches to watch :):):).

4. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    Morten Frost said this whole week has been very impressive for the duo, Misaki-chan displaying some genius reading skills and effective attack variations.

It seems like they have been preparing new things behind the curtains for big events and this week was their showdown time.
    The confidence of the new implementations they gained this Sunday will give them the option to adjust play styles EFFECTIVELY depending on the situation.

For fans it's surely a relief to see their defensive abilities reaching new heights. Now its more a matter of keeping their heads cool and play with focus regardless of the situation odds.

j_koh, visor, wade and 2 others like this.
  5. j_koh

j_koh Regular Member

Yes my faith has certainly been restored seeing them play last week at the Finals! Needless to say it was a very pleasant surprise that is indeed most welcome given their average performance in the last few tournaments. I think if MM nails her low serves and continue developing new skills on front court they will be a very deadly pair in 2020.

6. j_koh

j_koh Regular Member

Happened to re-visit this match by chance on YT- and noticed that MM was literally shaking when trying to do a low serve- hopefully it's not causing too much pressure on her; or maybe that's mainly why majority of her low serves suck?

7. j_koh

j_koh Regular Member

8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

They often play together though, nationally.

9. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

She often does. She's just not very good at it. And shouldn't this be in the Higashino thread?

10. lurker

lurker Regular Member

I wonder if she sports a 6 pack like TTY underneath ????????

IMG_0984_2.jpg

Cheung, yf19-sama, trizzforce and 4 others like this.
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

If only she can serve like TTY...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

yf19-sama and j_koh like this.
  12. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

TakaMatsu from when they were younger:

ant01 likes this.
  13. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Results from the last 3 tournaments have been very bad. Losing in R1/R2 to three different Korean pairs after what looked to be a domination over these Korean pairs after beating 3 of these 6 players in the German Open earlier this year. Wonder if they'll even get selected in the Sudirman Cup. Ranking is bound to go a bit low especially if they fail to defend a lot of their points in the coming months (Asian Championships, Indonesia Open, etc.). Qualification for the World Tour Finals should also be a priority for them if they want to defend their Olympic title. They still have time to rein it back in but they should be very wary.

Takahashi in particular needs to improve her game. Her service is faltering. Her service returns are mostly the same and very predictable. They should also employ different tactics vs these Korean pairs as lower-ranked pairs can beat them (Matsuyama/Shida and even Kititharakul/Prajongjai can beat Baek/Kim. Kim Hye Jeong/Kong Hee Yong are also easily beaten by Stoevas, Tanaka/Yonemoto among others.)

14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...and her overall defense has been declining.

15. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Again it is Takahashi who is out of sorts. They may have needed the points for this tournament... whether for Olympic qualification or for the World Tour Finals. They squandered it completely. Why even join this tournament when you are not interested in winning?

16. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    I've just finished watching the final.
    I sense quite a lot of mental fatigue coming from Takahashi, the sloppy mindset once under pressure end up affecting her REACTION TIME and ACCURACY for the counter-attacking defenses.

Despite the services errors Misaki is actually doing the heavy work when it comes to make decisive moves. That means opponents rely on Takahashi positioning to relief their pressure and initiate creative shots.
    I would suggest the head coach to give Takahashi more front court practice to inspire her into making more creative shots and RENEW her excitement for the matches during this process.

Finding ways for both players to score quick points from the net when the opposition is touch remains imo their best improving option.
    Their classical offensive formation become dangerous if the sharpness/power of the shots coming from the back are lacking.

I know this is not a Japanese thing but if the pair can communicate a bit more on a emotional level between rallies this could help the ongoing shaky player to regain belief and will.
    Ex of the problem : in game 2 during the final the coach barely spoke to Ayaka as like he was ignoring the break down, in his position I could have tried to cheer her up.
    That's maybe why the mental problem is over extending for month now, they might not take care of the thing at that psycho/emotional level leaving her handle the issue own her own. If they are talking tactics all the time that can get annoying for someone who is having a bad day or is lacking form (and end up being targeted by the opponents).

On the flip side Misaki services could also be caused by too much pressure she put on herself as she aim for perfection.
    I might repeat myself here but I'm sure there is margin for her to hit the shuttle at a higher contact point, she's been serving the same way for ages.

[​IMG]

#696 yf19-sama, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    j_koh and Michael V like this.
  17. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Love this analysis and totally agree!

18. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Body language has been the same with these pairs when they're losing, or when the tough gets going in crucial moments. I've been noticing these lately. Misaki/Ayaka, and now Yuki/Sayaka - their last few losses. Only Matsumoto and Nagahara don't.

19. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Not only Misaki, but also Ohori

ohori 1.jpg

20. Nonconvex

Nonconvex Regular Member

It's a bit crazy how communication seems to have totally broken down b/w Matsutomo and Takahashi. Barely even any eye contact. Anybody has any clue on what's going on?