TOTAL BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2019 : Quarterfinal - FINAL (23-26 May)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Let I tell you that there is no tournament from 2016 until now that China take all, even Olympic or World Champion or Super series final/World tour final.

2. minions

minions Regular Member

Doesn't mean it is impossible. The chance is always there. When I said that I can see it happening, doesn't mean that it is DEFINITELY happen. Nothing is impossible.

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

thats how you maintain high achievement in sports

BAM, BE, and PBSI should read this and implement it!!

4. samsara

samsara Regular Member

I really hope that fans of every other sport incl badminton will never compare it with the TENNIS, knowing that tennis is a SHOWCASE individual sport whereas the "establishment" throw in all the resources to prop its popularity (huge money and extreme media coverage etc). Tennis is a showcase sport for the excellence of INDIVIDUALISM! That's the essential message the "establishment" wanna paint from it. Badminton and all other individual sports can NEVER compare with tennis in term of money and media coverage supports! Such talks have been done in this forum time and again. Sorry, it's really tiresome to read anyone compare badminton with tennis! And every individual sport will be a BIG FAILURE if every one keeps on comparing how much money being thrown into tennis while sports like badminton have just a fraction of it. One may dream but it will never be such case, unless the world changes very drastically!

#1144 samsara, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    stanleyfm likes this.
  5. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Nothing is impossible! ^-^

So Nishimoto will take gold medal in Tokyo 2020 ^-^

6. minions

minions Regular Member

Add BAI too. Indian team performance is worse, can't even progress to QF.

7. minions

minions Regular Member

Haha, well said. Still, I root for KM for the gold medal. (sorry INA fans)

8. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

hmmm Nishimoto eh? i reckon less than 0.5% chance of that happening..

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, it's somewhat concerning that Team CHN until now still does not have anyone in WS to turn to on big occasions except Chen Yufei alone, and even she is nowhere a surefire winner to deliver when it matters. Happily, she is performing better than everyone expected of her in the Sudirman Cup, including her coaches, unlike her previous team events when she was more or less wrecked by nerves.

May we see Chen Yufei grow from strength to strength and ascend the summit one day.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly, Liu Yuchen displayed masterclass performance throughout the tournament. He is like the big brother,the one who steadies the ship, the thinker, analyst and clutch player in his partnership with Li Junhui.

If there are MVP awards, my votes go to WS Chen Yufei, MS Shi Yuqi and MD Liu Yuchen (more deserving than Li Junhui but they should get it as a pair). And I will give special mention to the 33-year-old Russian MS, Vladimir Malkov, what a sensational performance from him !

buibui2 likes this.
  11. samsara

samsara Regular Member

Yeah, the WS is still the weakest link in Chinese badminton, and seeing HBJ around just convinces me that it has not changed much, tiresome to see her playing! Well, and still I won't expect too much from CYF :)

I wish a truly high quality new blood will come into existence for the next OG cycle, in 2024!

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, homeground doesn't necessarily constitute an advantage to the home players. As far as I know from what I gathered, for the CHN players, only a few thrive on it,such as Gao Ling who openly said so; most feel particularly tense under the weight of the burden of expectation and many have expressed that they feel less pressured playing overseas.

As Chen Long once said, he might have the advantage of practising for a few days in the tournament hall before the start of the event held on homeland, but when the tournament started, the playing conditions weren't the same anymore, the drift, the crowd, the noise, etc, changed and he still had to readjust to it like everyone else, foreign and local players. That in addition to the usual burden of the pressure of expectation(including words of encouragement from government officials) works differently for each individual player.

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

India's performance was strange and there is intense speculation and conspiracy theories about it. As a team India has improved from 2 years ago but the group stage performance lacked passion and fight.

Every other nation had their head coach and Gopichand mysteriously stayed away. It's almost as though he wanted the team to lose in the group stage as they did in the 2018 Thomas/Uber Cup. India didn't come with reserve players and made poor team selection choices against MAS. India beat a much stronger MAS team in the Commonwealth games.

India as a team will improve by the next edition of the Sudirman Cup in 2021, but their performance depends on Gopichand, unless he tell them to go all out, they will just treat it as a training exercise.

14. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

From what you're saying, Gopichand sounds like he doesn't have his priorities right at all. Look at Zhang Jun and Park JB. Always there for their players (he even keeps Momota's rackets and all). What benefit would he gain from staying away and making his team crash out in group stages?

15. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I disagree with this aspect. Players should give their best despite the head coach telling them to do that or not. It is quite annoying to see players not pumped up during the tie.

It would have been better if Gopi was around. As that gives an extra motivation for players to work even more harder. I don't think Gopi wanted them to lose. But , I wouldn't agree with the notion of selecting only 13 member squad whereas other countries have selected 20 members squad (including backup).

16. samsara

samsara Regular Member

Some screenshots from the CCTV Sports on the 2019 Sudirman Cup (downsized images below one MB each):

Sudirman Cup 20190526 01.png Awards for all medal winners

Sudirman Cup 20190526 02 ZJ & XXZ.jpg
    Zhang Jun and Xia Xuanze in the post match interview at the CCTV Sports studio, and the beautifully designed Sudirman Cup Trophy

Sudirman Cup 20190526 03 CY & ZN.jpg
    Cai Yun and Zhang Ning as the classy guest commentators at the CCTV Sports

Sudirman Cup 20190526 04 Wang Lin.jpg
    Wang Lin is still cool, and the former MS player, Gong Weijie 龚伟杰 at her left-hand side (he somehow lives up to his name, thx @dongdong00013 fyi).

#1156 samsara, May 26, 2019
    kwun and nivek888 like this.
  17. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

good performance from china team nevertheless, we should not take their credits.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Cheng Yu

19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I don't know much about the politics of India badminton but could it be because Gopichand doesn't think India has a chance to win it all and thus, he doesn't want to prioritize the Sudirman Cup? India has good depth in MS and WS right now - arguably, good enough to win a Surdiman Cup. However, India is far behind in WD, MD, and XD (Satwik is a very promising player).

I would guess if India forms top WD, MD, and XD teams, and has a realistic chance of winning it, perhaps Gopichand would take the Sudirman Cup more seriously? Maybe he doesn't want to injure the players if India doesn't have a chance to win it all. Like I said, I don't know much about the politics of India badminton so I am just guessing as to why Gopichand is doing what he is doing.

Baddie lover likes this.
  20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

so are you saying they won not because of home advantage? The way Li/Liu can smash non stop, the way CYF can steady the ship and comeback to win the match.

They are good values for victory but i prefer to see it in other venues. and actually the fans here are more than normal ChinaOpen tournament because it involves whole ChinaTeam in Final unlike normal tournament.

Only SYQ is good value for the victory because he learned from his last meeting vs KM (forget where it is) where he went all out in G1 just to tire in G2&G3. This time he conserved energy and let G1 go and he will have beaten Momota anywhere today looking at normally calm KM celebration yesterday.

Even JC can be AG champion at home let alone might of CHN

#1160 Yoji, May 26, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.