Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I’ll work on that in my practice !
    I’ll have to think about not only getting my right leg forward but also my left leg back.

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I practiced some scissor jumps today focusing on brining my left hip back this driving my right forward
    Let me know if I’m practicing in the right direction

Note : I felt like they last ones were the best.

carltonpowerblade likes this.
  3. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

The movement sequence is now much smoother than at the beginning.

4. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Hey, looks good for me, thought I'm by far not an expert (I'm in a similar situation like you).
    Some thoughts:
    You have enough space, so I would try to incoperate a movement sequence, that is take 1-2 steps backward, scissor jump, immediate follow through by moving quickly forward.

It looks a little bit too lightly, what I mean is, that you are not loading your legs and use the power of your legs. In a match you will move backward, you need to absorb the energy of your backward movement with your legs and you need to utilise this energy to change your movement direction and initiate your movement back near to the base position.

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I hear what you are saying but this practice was to get my hips moving quickly in the right directions. Left leg back and right leg forward. I would think the next phase of this practice( once it becomes muscle memory ) would be more in line with what you mentioned.
    I actually was trying to practice what was shown here. Although I have no idea what he is saying

Cheung likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Top class teaching in that video

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Do you know what he is saying ??

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not at all. LOL

But the video is pretty clear. The person with the yellow shirt doesn’t land with his left leg far back enough. So what happens is the centre of gravity is directly above the left leg. That makes it difficult and slow to push the body forwards. He can only move his right leg forward but the centre of gravity stays back.

So the coach shows how to put the leg out backwards more and then use it to push the whole body forwards and step forward with the right leg.

The coach is Ha Tae Kwon who was an amazing doubles player. Olympic bronze medallist doubles 2000.

9. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Oh ok thanks

Any critic on my video ?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Your right foot might be swinging outwards a bit too much but it’s much better.

Obviously it’s going to be a bit difficult when you try it when hitting a shuttle but you are on the right track. I agree that the next stage would be to add another side step backwards.

Mason likes this.
  11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Last night games were mostly with players that were better and more skilled than me. I sliced many of my overhead shots. I think that happened because I didn’t get behind the shuttle enough and my timing was off. None the less I played ok.....
    Before the games started I was able to get in a solid half hour of footwork 4 corner shadow work and then practiced lots of mid court drives. Then I was able to get someone to feed me shuttles so that I could practice the scissor jump while dropping and smashing.

12. Toivot

Toivot New Member

A couple of things I notice:

When you're practicing scissor jumps at the beginning of the video, in a lot of them you land both feet at the same time. In your video, out of the first four scissor jumps, numbers 2, 3 and 4 all have this issue.

Remember that your left foot should land first, followed by the right foot. Landing both at the same time will leave you flat-footed. You do the left-then-right well in your video of you practicing scissor jumps on your deck, so just remember to practice it the same when you do it with a shuttle.

When it comes to the games, you go back to your old bad habits with the scissor jump, unfortunately. It's been mentioned before, but be careful to look out for this particular problem:

upload_2019-7-3_12-22-23.png

Instead of bringing your right leg forward, you are swinging it up and out to the side. You look like a dog cocking your leg to pee. I don't say that to be mean! Hopefully that image will stick in your brain and help you recognise it when you're doing it during play. Try and remember that whenever you start to look like a dog peeing during a game, you need to focus on bringing your right leg forward, not out to the side. ;)

Mason likes this.
  13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the input. Evidently the scissor movement has not been practiced enough for me to do it without thinking about it during games. I also think that I’m not behind the shuttle enough and I am late and my movements

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I also am going to try to think about bringing my left leg back more aggressively to see if that cue helps me with my problem. Either way i need to practice it enough so that i can do it in games without thinking about it......

15. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Watching your last video it still seems like you smash with your upper body (shoulder->arm->wrist) and your lower body just got dragged behind by the momentum you generate. Even if it is annoying, but you should consider starting to work from your bottom up, that is legs -> hips -> core -> shoulder -> arm -> wrist -> fingers.

Maybe it helps if you imagine that you want to move forward ni the first place, back to your base position and hit the smash on your way there, instead of smashing first, and then move forward.

darrengsaw and Mason like this.
  16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I would agree with your analysis!

17. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

I won't go over what's already been said. Some new thoughts that is quite apparent on the newer videos : you tend to position your body (and feet) too perpendicular to the net.

This can be explained when you have to reach the back court, however instead of reverting back to a standard defense (feet diagonal or parallel to net), you keep the same position (feet perpendicular to net) and even run left and right that way. This is also linked to your issue about body rotation and smash btw, but it shows even when positioning and running on the court.

It's like your body is frozen in that state and your head has to be tilted 90° degree to see your opponents and the net.

You can't possibly expect to be fast enough if you do keep doing it like this.

Pivot your hip and face the net when you are in a neutral or defensive state, everytime.

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you for the feedback. So just so I’m clear with what you are saying , I need to get back to the proper “ready position” ( more parallel to the net) while I’m waiting for the next shot ?

19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I haven’t been able to play for a week so I did some footwork drills today in a sort of HIIT style , 15 seconds of work and 45 seconds of rest
    15 rounds

20. Mason

Mason Regular Member

My shots from last nights games
    I think I need to get back to doing more garage swings. Also I was unable to do any footwork drills before the games which I also noticed impacts my in game footwork. When I’m able to get in solid footwork drills in, there is always carry over to better in game footwork