Blibli INDONESIA Open 2019 : Round of 32 - FINAL (16-21 July)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 15, 2019.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Srikanth is probably the best Indian Men's Singles badminton player in the last 2 decades. In this same tournament, Momota also got knocked out today. As did Chen Long. As did Ginting.

You can't win them all. Look how fallible Momota is. While I agree it seems like Srikanth has stagnated in the last 2 years, he is still one of the best players in the world and on his good day, he is capable of winning a SS and beating the best in the world.

Cheung and LenaicM like this.
  2. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I understand this makes you quite happy, but you really should have waited for the rest of the day (and given this whole thing a bit of thought) before airing your schadenfreude. Karma is a ...you know how it goes.

The points from Indonesia '18 have already been subtracted. Momota went from 111k to 108k, SYQ from 90k to 89k and Axelsen from 79k to 75k. Chen Long is out and will remain at 75k after this. The only one left at the top to put "pressure" on Momota's WR points is CTC. Even if he wins the tournament, he will not surpass SYQ's tally. Given his lacklustre year so far and the fact that he has never won anything above a Super Series/500 even his entire career, I would not exactly call him the heir apparent, future winner of all big titles, anytime soon.
    The rest of the field JC/AG/KS/SWH is over 40k behind Momota.

Axelsen and SYQ are currently injured and who knows when they will be back. They have to defend points, too. It might be that after the WC, Momota is even further ahead of them, though I won't be engaging in any pointless (hah!) speculations about that

Fun fact: even if Momota does not win a single match in Japan and the WC, he will drop barely below 100k.
    All in all, I wouldn't hold my breath on KM losing his #1 status anytime soon, if I were you.

3. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Last time he won a tournament was 2 years ago. His ranking his been on slow and steady decline, now that he has dropped outside top-8 tournament draws will become much trickier. He could face any top-8 player on first round from now on, making it more difficult to accumulate points.

Today he was given a chance to grab some points in this tournaments now that top seeds are out. And what does he do? Loses tamely to world #13. I don't see him winning any big titles in the future, there are young hungry players overtaking him very soon. Unless he finds something new to his game, but given that he is already 26 years old that is unlikely.

4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

As if you were saint . Better save your accusations for the future. Nobody criticized him in anyway.
    So, this is the best excuse you can give to jump on others.lol
    Typical mentality people.
    And also, I am not a lover of srikanth or whatsoever. I 'll criticize whoever do not play well. Today I didn't criticize momota. But still you found a way to reply me

5. Baddyforall

We have to agree whatever you say . Lol

6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    ...and no matter who you are, past/present/future goats, you won't win them all.

7. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

The eloquent and content-heavy reply we've come to expect from you. ;)

8. mohans

mohans Regular Member

You don’t like players from ‘developing countries’, do you?

You predicted him to be out of top 10 exactly a year ago. It seems he is hanging to his top 8 spot and will continue to do so for a while (soon SWH will slip out of top 8)

Explain ‘tamely’ in your post? Just losing the match in 2 games is what you mean? But going by your routine counters to the shocking reactions of LD’s and ASG’ defeats, I would rather say #9 losing to #13 is no big deal?

Btw, who are those ‘hungry young players’ trying to overtake him. Name a few please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

wow Lee Zii Jia and Zhang Beiwei won vs. CL and HBJ.

10. indrg

indrg Regular Member

He is facing Jonatan again today :)

11. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Either Jonatan or CTC can win this.

12. Baddyforall

Ha ha.. There is a proverb in tamil " Saathan vedham odhudhu". That fits you well.

Btw, I love to see Ng Ka Long to win this title.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too, he had better not miss this golden opportunity with SYQ, CL , KM out of the way.

I think he can beat Jonatan tomorrow, past record is no guarantee of future outcomes.

LenaicM likes this.
  14. indrg

indrg Regular Member

JC or CTC

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

All the eight MS quarterfinalists have an outside chance to nail the title, there is now actually no clear favourite though, personally, my picks are Chou Tien, Jonatan Christie, Lee Zijia, Anders Antonsen, Ng Kah Long, in that order.

Still, I won't rule out anyone, even Huang Yuxiang deserves a crack at the title for taking out Momota.

LenaicM likes this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In my opinion, Lu Guangzu also played very well. Incidentally, he also suffered a few dubious linecalls in his match with Ginting.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A tough ask for the scratch pair, Zhang Nan/Ou Xuanyi, to pose a serious challenge to Marcus /Kevin tomorrow.

The new pairing still needs quite a bit of time to build rapport, establish mutual understanding and develop chemistry with each other. Looks promising so far but certainly too early to say how far they can go.

18. mohans

mohans Regular Member

What? NO vs PVS on court 2 and NKL vs WWKV on court 1. Pretty well organized!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sen, Cunning Linguist and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It certainly looks like the team have lost some of their hunger from two years ago.

LenaicM and Baddie lover like this.
  20. Twitchington

Twitchington Regular Member

That’s exactly what I thought too like what the hell? Two seeded players in R8 and aren’t being put on tv court is ridiculous. Not to mention they’re classic rivals in WS, equivalent to that of RI vs TTY.
    Also no WD match on tv court but two MD matches instead because the host doesn’t care about discipline they have no representatives in and who cares about other nations? lol

Michael V likes this.