Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Well done Wang Zhiyi. She is in her second final. She beat Ayumi Mine in 2 sets, quite easily and its the second time head to head. AM doesn't like her style of play as she is ranked very much higher and seeded 6 as well and lost.But WZY may meet her match against Kim Ga Eun who is one of many talented Korean singles player. Congratulations to the Korean coaches. They will be the favourite for the Uber cup as their doubles are also doing well. Best of luck WZY and try your best. But H to H Kim is 1 up, in two sets 21-15 and 16.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not bad, Wang Zhiyi, two finals in two consecutive weeks. Hope she wins this one, Kim Ga Eun looks strong though she surprisingly lost to the good-looking Fabien Deprez in R1 of the CAN Open last week albeit in the narrowest of margin by deuce in the tiebreaker.

3. antssantss

Retired
    Well done Wang Zhiyi and congratulations for winning the US Open. She has very good strokes which makes it difficult for her opponents to attack. If she can develop a strong smash or even a deceptive smash she would cause a lot of problems for her opponents. Lets hope she can improve even more.

Justin L likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well done, Wang Zhiyi, two back-to-back finals and one title for her trophy cabinet, the US Open 2019 Women's Singles Champion. Heartiest congratulations, a good start to her nascent professional career.

However, if Kim Ga Eun is less error-prone, it's hard to say which way the match would go. KGE is a fast and aggressive player with a strong physique, very quick on her feet coupled with a strong smash.Anyway, good to see WZY smashing though infrequently when really needed, still she is more of a defensive than offensively player but a fairly steady and patient stroke player to push her opponent hard enough.

Talking about WZY's smashes, I was surprised to see her executing a jump smash once for an outright winner,something Wang Shixian whose game she resembles could never do. I still believe if WZY can develop a more offensive game, which I think she's capable of, she would go far.

The other point is I feel WZY's stamina is not too bad but she could use more strength (physically not as strong), possibly better than An Se Young who might seem to struggle somewhat trying to cope with back-to-back tournaments if the way she lost to her fellow teammate, Kim Ga Eun, in two straight sets, 21-11 and 21-14, is any indication. Just saying.

5. antssantss

Retired
    Lin Chun Yi is definetly a player to watch. He lost to Kunlavit in the Finnish Open recently but he has improved greatly. Imho he is the best of the juniors I have seen.

6. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

I think both li shifeng & sun feixiang have physical issues. They have to work hard to improve their staminas. Also li shifeng must improve his smash.

7. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Best ? Better than Kunlavut ?

8. antssantss

Retired
    Imho lin chun yi has the edge. We will see.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I should think so.

10. antssantss

Retired
    Huang yuxiang avenged his loss to Mark Caljeow. Well done. The juniors have also lost to MC. Unfortunately his next opponent is Kento Momota. Best of luck

#2490 antssantss, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  11. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Chineese mens singles is in terrible condition. Their main player is injured & no news about the condition of his injury yet. Old two greats lin dan & chen long not performing well. They haven't produce a player after shi yuqi. So huge pressure on coaches & administration.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

And Huang Yuxiang went to achieve the near-impossible task of taking out Momota. Who would have thought ?

Next , can he overcome Kantaphon Wangcharoen tomorrow in the QFs ?

13. antssantss

Retired
    Huang Yuxiang beat Kento Momota !! What an upset. But I must say HYX played very well and deserved the win. He is a very much improved player. His coaches have turned him into a very steady player with good stroke play. He has always been a strong attacking player and as long as he made his opponent play another shot he was ready to pounce and he did. KM didn't expect to get so many returns from HYX. Well done and all the best tomorrow.

Justin L likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, I didn't watch HYX's match with KM in full , only caught glimpses of it as I was concentrating on the Chen Long - Lee Zijia match in parallel. But after watching the replay, boy, was I surprised and impressed, Huang Yuxiang was brilliant and played above himself, and Momota wasn't playing badly at all, only not 100% at most.

However, HYX is not known for this consistency, he could upset a much higher ranked or most in-form opponent and then fail to follow through with good results as often happened in the past. And that's exactly what occurred today as he went down to Kantaphon, even dropping G1 badly.

He is 26 years of age already, unless he is a late bloomer,I'm not too optimistic about his performance going forward.

#2494 Justin L, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  15. antssantss

Retired
    Yes i agree that he doesnt have the ability to maintain his resurgence. But the coaches sre to be congratulated for what they have done to a once mediocre player. Its amazing to see how he is able to control his strokes. I think he should be used to train the juniors. His experience would contribute greatly to the younger players.

16. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

ZSW/HYQ and WYL/HDP = modern day counterparts of ZN/ZYL and XC/MJ? Both pairs dominate internationally but one pair demolishes the other most of the time when they meet.

Head-to-heads:
    ZN/ZYL vs XC/MJ: 23-3
    ZSW/HYQ vs WYL/HDP: 9-1

By the way, why does HYQ still have one out of five stars on her Chinese uniform kit, she should have at least two now... (if my counting is right, she should have 3 for WC, Sudirman and Uber)

17. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

They didn't count AG as one of the major title ?

18. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

I believe, that the stars are for OG, WC, Sudirman, Thomas/Uber, and the now-defunct World Cup. That's why Yu Yang has four, even though she hasn't won AG

19. antssantss

Retired
    In the Asian junior championships Zhou Meng is doing well in the 2nd set. Its a must win for china to make up for the loss in MS

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, you're right. And I 'm also for the Asian Games replacing the defunct World Cup or, perhaps, the World Tour Finals can be considered (previously SuperSeries Finals) albeit limited to two players/pairs per Member Association for a total of eight participants only.