India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I can't judge them yet. Seeing how Rankireddy is only 18, he certainly still has room to develop, I just hope he actually gets some focus from the coaches. Maybe the sh*tshow that is current Indian singles (compared to their own performance only 1-2 years back, at least) has this bright spot - letting them develop an MD pair that can really play at an international stage :D
    Anyone know what that weird **** at the end of the second game vs Ko/Shin was, btw? Swiping the shuttle directly after it'd hit, seems like a move by some scummy club player to hide where it landed and talk you into accepting his 'out' call. Not that I'm assuming that's what he tried to do, mind you, but the challenge right afterwards made it seem very weird :D

Baddie lover likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Indian badminton needs to get exciting again.

It's a little worrying we don't hear much on the developing players that might be knocking on the door to full international players. Maybe they are being held in reserve for after the Olympics.

badmuse and Baddie lover like this.
  3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Congratulations to Satwik and Shetty on the win today in Thailand against the #2 in the world. Satwik was playing at such a high level this match. Shetty was dragging Satwik down in the first 2 sets. By the 3rd set, Shetty upped his game.

I think India has a once in a generation doubles player like Satwik. Hopefully, Shetty can also keep his game up. Shetty is 4 year's older than Satwik and Satwik is only 18. It looks like Satwik is beginning to adjust to the SS level of play. I expect Satwik to improve even further. Hopefully, Satwik's other partners can complement him because it would be a waste for such a good doubles player in Satwik if his career was hampered by the quality of his partners, especially because India has never developed a male double's player of this caliber before.

4. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    A historic day for Indian doubles badminton. What a performance by Ranki and Shetty throughout the tournament. Beating the world champs in the finals is a great achievement. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone and here's a toast for many more titles in future. Cheers.

Play hard. Train harder.

badmuse and Baddie lover like this.
  5. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Take a bow,

Chirag Shetty/Satwik Sairaj Rankireddy created history in Indian badminton scene by defeating the world champions and winning the Thailand Super 500 MD . Their win wasn't a fluke after they consistently defeated top ranking pairs. Congratulations to them. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

badmuse, Biglever and Baddie lover like this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Are the Indian media going to mention anything about this victory?

7. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    The bridge covers the Indian badminton well. The Quint, India Today, News 18 reported about the Indian pair's historic win so far. I think many more news outlets will follow the suit.

Play hard. Train harder.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You and I have different definitions of 'fluke', it seems :D imop it remains to be seen if it was, or if they're legitimate Top10 contenders now. Great achievement in any case!

9. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I think this tournament win was not a fluke. As they've constantly beaten pairs to reach final. Luck can matter once or twice but in every match different factors come into play. They've really improved their play in this tournament. Winning is good but maintaining that consistency is what makes top pairs apart from mediocre ones. I for one am really happy and impressed by their playing style in this tournament. Now more people will have expectations from them which is natural. But if they don't maintain consistency, they are up to scrutiny by many badminton followers.

Coming to the match, Satwik/Chirag were again underdogs in this final but after beating better pairs in run up to final, people were expecting them to create an upset against 2018 WC Li/Liu which they did. I'll still maintain, if Satwik/Chirag play like this and improve their defence which they did throughout whole week, they'll be in top 10 and maintain their ranking.

Indian media and Association should capitalise on this and make Indian badminton more popular. As badminton is not only about singles but also about doubles. More youngsters will take up doubles if Indian doubles pairs make a breakthrough performance. Like what Saina did back in 2009-10 onwards. That created an influx of the new gen players who got motivated after Saina started winning tournaments.

Too bad, Indian singles have started declining in their standards. In the end , I would like to appreciate Indonesian coaches Limpele and another one who was there in this tournament and also TKH, who shaped Satwik/Chirag in their formative years. Congrats Satwik/Chirag. I hope to see many more impressive performances from you.

10. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    Neither me nor anybody would say judging by this one series that they are Top 10 contenders. This kind of performance has to be consistent. Only then one could say that. But defeating pairs that are way above their level and ranking might mean to say that it could be the start of it.

Hence my point of saying that people could start thinking it the way that it could be a fluke and all. Still me saying that wasn't for you. It was for the majority Indian people and the mentality they have against sports except for cricket(like this is a one time only and other ****).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

j4ckie likes this.
  11. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

indonesian coaches give india md title after ms title?
    where is srikanth now? he can't win title anymore?

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to insinuate that you said they're a Top10 pair. Winning/making finals of this kind of tournament and beating these kinds of pairs on a consistent basis would result in a Top10 ranking eventually, that's why I said that. Whether this was a fluke (as in, a one-time thing for them, an overperformance or just the perfect week or however you want to characterize it) or not will remain to be seen. Regarding Indian badminton as a whole, it certainly wasn't a fluke - so anyone arguing that certainly has no factual basis for it.

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

The semifinal win has a lot of Indian media coverage and I expect to see a lot more tonight and tomorrow for the finals!

Semifinal Links:

1. https://indianexpress.com/article/s...y-go-badminton-champtionship-doubles-5876023/

2. https://www.news18.com/news/badmint...-shetty-enter-mens-doubles-final-2256945.html

3. https://scroll.in/field/932733/bein...wik-chirag-after-reaching-thailand-open-final

4. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...0-rankings-next-week/articleshow/70513148.cms

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

At a time when singles players are struggling to make the finals, Indian MD comes as a breath of fresh air! I wasn't expecting anyone other than PV Sindhu to win a title. It was a pleasant surprise to see Satwik Rankireddy/ Chirag Shetty win the MD title. As some have noticed on the tournament forums they are adapting to the INA doubles style of flat and creative shots. The most important thing is that need to use a style that works for Indian players and it's doing wonders at the moment.

It is important to note that Satwik is not at his best at the moment. He told Badzine that he had some shoulder issues and was playing at 60-70%. Once Satwik regains full fitness he will be devastating in this form. There is not enough time for WC but we will see a stronger improved version over the coming months.

This is a historic moment for Indian badminton as this is the first Indian MD pair to win a BWF World Tour Super 500 title. It is a spark that will give hope as Saina Nehwal did so many years ago as the lone singles star.

#3254 badmuse, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    samkool, Baddie lover, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  15. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
  16. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    I was wondering why Satwik was going for steep and half smashes when he has the raw power. He was on beast mode in PBL but unfortunately he was injured after the tournament. It will be exciting to see when he attains full fitness.

Play hard. Train harder.

badmuse and Vivek Bagadhi like this.
  17. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Link: http://www.badzine.net/2019/08/thailand-open-finals-indian-youngsters-tower-over-two-towers/

THAILAND OPEN Finals – Indian youngsters tower over two towers
    BY DON HEARN
    – AUGUST 4, 2019

[​IMG]
    India’s Satwiksairaj Rankireddy / Chirag Shetty crouched low and leapt high as they stunned reigning World Champions Li/Liu to take the 2019 Thailand Open title.

Excerpt:
    Y
    esterday, I was crying in the room,” Satwik said, when asked to comment on the emotions on finals day. “I didn’t imagine I would beat the Korean players whose games I used to watch on TV, “When I was young, I used to say ‘I have to play like Ko Sung Hyun’.

We know their game,” said Satwik. “They are so good in attack so basically our strategy was to maintain our attack so we were trying to kill the shuttle every time and just to keep it going down, down, down. That really worked well.”

“My shoulder is worse. I can’t really say. It’s still hurting,” Satwik

Both players gave a lot of credit to the physical conditioning implemented earlier this year by their new coach Flandy Limpele
    Chirag Shetty also talked about the way this condition related to their game play and execution: “With the condition we are in, neither of us are tired even though both of us are carrying injuries and playing through pain and all we needed to do was just keep the shuttle as low as possible, instead of hitting again and again – because that hurts a lot

samkool likes this.
  18. Baddie lover

These papers you mentioned they normally post badminton related stuff. But Hindi news channels which has major share of viewers, I don't know whether they have covered this news or not. Only NDTV does, other channels only care about cricket. Some English news channels like NDTV , times now may cover.

#3258 Baddie lover, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  19. Baddie lover

Well, I think those half smashes and drop shots are must. And that is paying dividends as the opponent will always expect Satwik to smash with full power. Some variations are needed. Yeah, it's exciting to see this pair perform well. Hope for the best

20. Baddie lover

He was so happy when he shaked Ko Sung Hyun's hand and was smiling. It felt like KSH was his idol . And he must have seen KSH/SBC when they won 2014 WC (he was 13 at that time haha).

badmuse likes this.