Ax88D vs Ax68D

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Neel Dhebar, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

I am considering purchasing an 88D but I want to know how much better it is than the 68D. The reason for this is that the 68D costs much less and if there isn't too much of a compromise in terms of performance I would go for the latter option. However, if the 88D is significantly better I will stick with it. What have your experiences been with the two and what do you think I should do?

2. Vijay Kanneganti

Vijay Kanneganti New Member

True, from the specifications there only seems to be a marginal difference in design. You can see a thorough comparison here:

https://www.badmintonbay.com/blog/y...enuine-yonex-badminton-rackets-whats-special/

Reading this and other reviews I've been rather tempted myself at picking up a 68S since it is almost a third of what the 88S costs. The only real difference according to the specifications are the shaft thickness, manufacture country and frame material. I was thinking it might make sense to go for the 68S to see if I really would enjoy the racket and then buy the 88 or next iteration in the series.

I haven't played with either but would like to know the opinions of anyone who has.

3. Neel Dhebar

That was exactly what I was thinking. It is 1/3 as much! I can see if it's good and then get an 88D or wait for a newer one. I had read something about NAMD being used in less on the cheaper models but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes. Thanks for the link. It was useful.

#3 Neel Dhebar, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. Vijay Kanneganti

Vijay Kanneganti New Member

Awesome, let me know if you pull the trigger and buy one.

5. Neel Dhebar

Ordered one. I will use it for some time and if I really like it I'll get an 88D.

6. roderickh

roderickh Regular Member

If you are going for the 68D have you considered the 38D? If not why not?

7. Neel Dhebar

I did consider the 38D but decided against it for several reasons. The balance point is at 310 mm on the 68D and at 293 mm on the 38D. That makes the 68D the most head heavy of the three. I did a quick Google search to find that a 293 mm balance point is almost even balance. Another thing is that the 68D has a slimmer shaft and I was willing to spend the extra money for it.

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

If we see the technical spec, the lower end racket use less new technology applied on it.
    Like 38D only have:
    1. Common isometric frame shape
    2. New grommet pattern
    3. aero + box frame
    4. Typical Astrox Rotation Generator System.

While the upper grade like AX7/9 get additional
    1. Buildin T joint
    2. Control Support Cap

And on the high end racket like AX77 get the compelete set with additional
    1. Namd
    2. Nanometric
    3. Solid feel core
    4. Super slim frame

I wonder if those tech would be noticable alot or affect our play alot. Maybe for the high end would be noticeable, but for the mid to low end racket...

9. Neel Dhebar

Well, the tech specs on the 38D and 68D are almost the same and they do have the T-joint and control support cap. They only lack the Tungsten grommets, Namd and Nanometric. I will be testing out how much of the difference it makes. 68D is on the same level as Ax7/Ax9.

10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

hiii Neel.
    So how about the 68D you try? Any comment about it? Is it good or totaly not worth it?

11. Neel Dhebar

Ah yes, I forgot to get back to this thread. It isn't a racket for beginners, but it delivers excellent power and the flat game is quite good with it. It is definitely worth the money. I have yet to compare it with the 88D and will see how much they differ.

12. Neel Dhebar

I found that it performs well in all aspects but will take a few days to get used to if you do not use a stiff/head heavy racket.

13. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Thanks Neel for your feedback.
    Im not worried much on head heavy side as i start my 1st play with U racket, & feel in love with heavy head feel when swing it.
    Tho the stiff shaft is what im worried as i had never try stiff shaft, tho im able to play with 30lbs (but not much like it as it feel hitting like a frying pan)

14. Neel Dhebar

T
    That did take some getting used to but it delivers power nevertheless. I forgot to mention that it does not have the "Energy Boost Cap" but a small ridge on each side. I really don't feel it matters and I wrap my grip quite high anyway so it doesn't matter.

15. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    Does it come in a matte paint? If possible, could you upload any pictures of it?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

16. Ayush Shah

Ayush Shah Regular Member

I really liked the specs of astrox 88d,but can't afford to buy it without trying it..at my place the shops dont give rackets to try before buying,nor does any of my friends own one.
    So it isnt wise to spend a hefty sum on an expensive racket,without trying.
    While browsing,i found that astrox 68d which is 1/3rd the price has the almost the same specs.
    Could anyone who has tried the astrox 68d give me any feedback of the racket?
    Is it comparable to astrox 88d or just a gimmick?
    Is it very head heavy? As its balance point is 310 which is more than most of the rackets(even more than astrox 88d).
    Any feedback would be greatly valued.
    Pls help me.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

17. Neel Dhebar

It comes in a matte finish.

18. Ayush Shah

Ayush Shah Regular Member

Do u have astrox 68d?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

19. Neel Dhebar

I bought an 88D too. I can tell you that the 88D is noticeably better than the 68D but the latter option is good if you are not sure if such a racket would suit you and want to try it out.

I tested the balance points on both rackets and found that the 88D was more head heavy, I don't know how that particular website came up with these numbers.

20. Neel Dhebar

Y
    Yes, well it broke.