Discussion on GOAT, comparison between different eras and players, etc.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Baddie lover, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I thought of making this thread so as to minimize these type of discussions like (which is more prestigious World Tour events or WC, who's better LD, LCW or KM, Minions'era vs LYD era, etc) in tournament threads. @Cheung , if it's not a good idea, then you can remove this thread. But I hope this will make things easy for you :p

Biglever likes this.
  2. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

if one year 1 major, then major mean just wc and olympic. Who have the most major titles will be the most successful player of all time. GOAT- greatest of all time is more complicated (for other categories cos ms already have lin)

ridiculous

mo should compare to chen l than those 2 above

lin is badminton, chen l, mo, vik are the champion, lcw is legend

3. Baddie lover

This is why I thought of creating this thread. The things I wrote the question of who's better , GOAT etc., I have not stated my opinions. Just noted what people say in other threads.

4. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

The question is : what makes a person GOAT / One of the best of all time material ?

Most people seem to focus on Olympic Gold and World Championship Gold.
    Let's face it, even when someone wins silver, there is always the criticism : "Yeah but they didn't win gold."
    LCW was so obsessed with the gold at the olympics, that he couldn't focus on playing his best game.

To make an analogy with other sports, in fùtbol / soccer, the most prestigious award is the "ballon d'or".
    Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi won 5 each, Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima won 2 and Ronaldinho won one.
    Yet the last two are WAYYYY better than the first two.

If Lin Dan played the way he did but won bronze instead of gold or no Olympic/World championship medal at all,
    would he still be considered GOAT ?
    If Michael Jordan didn't win as many championships, would he still be considered GOAT ?

5. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    for individual sports it comes down to how you handle the majors.

lin dan has 5 wc + 2 olympic golds... 7... and a 28-12 h2h vs. lee chong-wei.

let's say lee chong-wei has 300 ss/p & wt500+ titles and 7 silver wc/og medals.

the ?'n is how many titles does it take for lcw to be the goat over lin dan if lin dan maintains beating lcw 70% of the time?

6. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

no
    as i said, great is complicated. Better but in what way? the reason cr7 and m10 rank lower when consider who is GOAT is because they dont have wc. Ronaldo alien and ronaldinho may have more skills, bring more emotions. But these 2 artists didnt contribute as many success, titles as those 2 workers above for their teams. And titles are what players and teams aim for.

badito likes this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

LD is GOAT. Period.

Suilven likes this.
  8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

What if LCW has better H2H vs LD.

To me, Balloon D'Or will mean player who finishes end year WR1 in badminton.

and these days, the most successful players is the richest player isnt it? think of business terms. What is success.

#8 Yoji, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    badito likes this.
  9. Baddie lover

A hypothetical question. What's your views on prime Wang Xialoi/Yu Yang or Prime Qing Tian/ Zhao Yunlei vs present top ranked Japanese pairs ?

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think YY/WangXiaoLi is the best WD this century. When I think WD i think of their sheer power and dominance.

badito, skhai91, nilesh123 and 3 others like this.
  11. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

No doubt he is. But is LCW goat?

12. BojepJoe

BojepJoe Regular Member

Unemployed
    in every Malaysian badminton fans hearts, he is.:)

13. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

The ones considered goat will be the ones with the biggest/most titles, in any individual sport in my mind.. not always the most talented but always the best when on the day it matters most, be it mentally or physically

14. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

@Baddie lover Agree with you that this is probably a too timeless discussion for the "2019" section.
    It may need it's own subforum. Something like "Nationality-based quarreling". :D

Baddie lover likes this.
  15. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    you just made my day:D

16. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Why restrict to just them, I am sure every badminton fan or anyone who's even heard of badminton recognises him if not respect him as one of the greatest.
    Nobody (yet) has even come close to match his consistency.

17. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    LCW is a great player thats it...I cant call him GOAT the definition of GOAT is LIN DAN...LCW doesnt even have a single Major tittle namely (OG and WC) though he has many major silvers so I respect him for that but he is just not close to GOAT.

LCW is a term thats become famous for players who earn way too many silvers like FukuRota my WD favs its more like a curse that players have to break and I hope my fav FukuRota break this LCW curse by winning a Major tittle soon.

18. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

It is worth mentioning that without LCW we would never have seen Lin Dan play his best. He needed to overcome greater to be considered the greatest.

Some players seem to play well on the tour, others play for the big tournaments where they really shine. Carolina Marin seems to be another that does OK on the tour and seems to use the tour as a way to generate ranking points for qualification to the WC and OG but then can find another level when a WC or OG gold is available.

Players will prioritise what they want to achieve differently. Some want WR#1, some want Golds, some want $$$. Some want it all and will crush anybody to get it.

Yoji and Anks like this.
  19. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Agree !!

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Money is the most important these days. $$$. Dont depend on government (like tennis)

Without the govt, the Olympics dont net much so it will depend the consistency of the tournaments played. You are not gonna get paid 15:20 years after OG.

Anks likes this.