TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019 : SEMIFINAL & FINAL (24-25 August)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 23, 2019.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

@Hassefar60 What's the Danish media saying about AA's silver medal by the way?

2. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

It is extremely difficult for players like Sindhu who push themselves front when they wanna play a shuttle to change the directions more often and repeatedly to do so for entire match. TTY lost to Sindhu in the last two occasions in big events. This is TTY's problem. Not Sindhu's. TTY has to go for some meditation or anything which reduces her anxiety so she could possibly get her medals in bigger events.

#1062 Baddyforall, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Anks likes this.
  3. Baddyforall

No. Morten is the only one commentator whom I love to hear. He was not bias at all.
    I heard this 'slow hall' 'fast hall' strategy from Steen as well. That's why I was wondering what is this all about. I discussed with certain coaches and players in India . They did not accept at all. What about Rio?. What about Glasgow? What about Nanjing? What about Guangzhou? All are slow halls?. She reached finals of all the big events happened in these cities.

My point is it all depends on so many factors ( Strategy + Determination + Draw + implementation of strategy + ' hall conditions' + How well you handle your pressure. Etc

Only one person who might be so not happy about Sindhu's victory is Steen. Thank God, Morten and Gill were there to commentating the finals.

#1063 Baddyforall, Aug 26, 2019
    Yoji and Anks like this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I'm sure he is very unhappy.

wade likes this.
  5. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

The talks about which venue favors which player is just an analysis by the various experts. But the player still have to play well to win. We don't see a particular player winning at a venue year after year after year because the venue suits him (except Nadal at French Open :p). LCW win 12 (right?) malaysian titles because he is extra motivated to win at home, but he still need to deliver his A game.

As for the luck of draw, well again the player still has to play well to win, even against player whom he has a good head-to-head record. There are a few examples last week. In XD, WYL/HDP has a good record against the thai, yet they lost. The minions draw don't look bad, with TK/KS (beaten by the japanese in last yr WC) and LJH/LYC in the other half. They have a better record against every pairs, yet they lost.

Maybe BWF can implement a league system aka soccer.

6. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Honestly I dont even know who he is and Hes a mere commentator you know he gets paid to speak ....I dont pay attention to his words.

Id rather listen to WC Silver medalist Morten and Gillian than a fat dumb guy who is not even a Dust particle in front of the WC and OG medalist champions..let him vent...who cares for a loser anyways lolz

MF and GC all the way !! Players who know exactly the mindset of players.

7. Baddyforall

You should hear when he was commentating Sindhu's match. Even before 2nd game , he will tell ' opponent is not playing well. This is the chance for Sindhu to get victory. Blah blah. '
    I dont wanna go in deep.

But posting something like that in social network is just diplomatic nothing else.

8. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

"Slow hall" is also not the best expression. But in a large hall with little or no wind (from AC mostly), the shuttle is much easier to control. in a windy hall, players tend to play with more margin on the lines, thus effectively making the court smaller. A larger court makes the game more physical: Longer distances, fewer short lifts, and fewer errors.

Players with exceptional skills in controlling the shuttle tend to dominate in the most windy venues (I am thinking TTY, LCW, LD, KM as the most notable examples in the singles categories).

Shuttle speed is the next thing. Maybe that mostly affects the doubles categories?

9. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Anks bro, "fat, dumb guy" remark was little overboard. I know you love your champs, that's okay. But belittling commentators and other players just because they aren't WC or OG medallists is little unwarranted. Steen is a good commentator with good analysis. It's not necessary a great player can become a great coach and commentator or vice versa. Maradona is one of the greatest but he's **** at coaching. Commentating and coaching is not affected by WC/OG medal achievement.

skhai91 likes this.
  10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Steen's tweet flooding alert ! :D:D:D:D

anks1.jpg anks2.jpg anks3.jpg

11. Baddyforall

Indonesia is extremely windy . But Sindhu reached the finals.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I hope you don't just "hate" Steen because of his fans? Like you did to Momota?

wade likes this.
  13. Baddyforall

Plz don't attack personally. Delete those words. That is unnecessary. These are all decent discussions. You post your side of discussions with facts. Opponent come up with some. This is the way it goes

14. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

15. Hassefar60

Ok just to clear up who the "fat dumb guy" who is a "mere commentator" ("who is not even a Dust particle in front of the WC and OG medalist champions..let him vent...who cares for a loser anyways lolz") is, as there are clearly some people who like to belittle people without knowing who they are.

Steen Schleicher Pedersen was Danish National Head Coach from 2001 to 2008.

.. and is still a very successful coach on club level in DK.

16. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Anks, don't you think you're kind of overboard? Chill man. It's just a sport.

Airos, Hassefar60 and wade like this.
  17. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

It's funny because everytime steen commentate on sindhu's match he always mention how amazing it is for her to be in all these major final since 2016. but sure, he must hate sindhu.

Baddyforall likes this.
  18. Baddyforall

Because of his commentary. Nothing else.

19. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I don’t know where this slow hall/slow shuttles thing stemmed from during Danish TV commentary. I didn’t hear anything of that sort from bwf commentators during PVS’s matches, except for the slight mention of playing conditions during the match against BZ in R16. If you at look how PVS played this entire championship barring QF, you could notice her scoring winners at will, even against the top 10 players, which itself is testament against the slow hall/ shuttles claim. This is complete contrast to her her playing style in the WTF ‘18 and WC ‘17, which were played in the slow shuttle/ hall conditions.

And of course, you speculated. I, with my personal dislike for CM, have a lot of speculations that could play down many of her achievements. But I know I don’t do justice in doing so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1079 mohans, Aug 26, 2019
  20. Hassefar60

Yeah, that is also where I would expect her to be strongest. It is my impression that Sindhu's worst enemy the last year has been stamina matches. So a windy hall with short matches should be good for her. The reason why this WC venue suited her so well was apparently her raw power in her offensive game. I had not predicted that but the Danish commentators did.