TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019 : SEMIFINAL & FINAL (24-25 August)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Just reporting the facts basically. A Danish silver medal in any category is enough to save any WC for a country as small as ours.
    The Danish team aimed for two "medal points", which was reduced to 1 with VA's withdrawal.
    And then there was some focus on the strong performances by our two WDs (a weak category for us) and MB in WS.

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

@Anks PVS has just made India people and country proud, and you are about to ruin it.

nilesh123 likes this.
  3. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Whatever venue you take, she will reach final. In all the bwf events in past few years, she was in the finals. These "slow and fast hall" does not suits her. Only thing she had was determination and will power.
    I will challenge that she will reach finals of Olympics as well. I hope we will talk about that then but plz I request you not to come up with this ' slow and fast hall' concepts.

arjevo likes this.
  4. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well. never believe fast hall Slow hall. But the obvious fast halls is that in Odense and Stade de Coubertin & Istora. The rest is not fast, not slow.

and Sindhu wins in Basel which is almost a NO windy arena whereas in Istora , its windy. So there are many factors. Not because of this or that.

arjevo and Anks like this.
  5. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Did Morten Frost make any pitstop in BC last few days?

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Talking about tournament conditions, first,I like it that there is little to no drift as then the players can really pit their skills without extraneous interference other than , say, noise, delays intentionally (broken string, floor to be mopped) or unintentionally caused(medical breaks).

I myself never believed any tournament conditions favour a particular player/pair more than others. Every tournament venue is different, very difficult to find any two alike. However, that's not the point. What is important, what matters is, the tournament conditions and requirements must meet the technical specifications laid down by BWF as in
    https://system.bwfbadminton.com/documents/folder_1_81/Statutes/CHAPTER-5---TECHNICAL-REGULATIONS/Section 5.3.4 - Specs for Int'l Standard Facilities.pdf

If you can only play best in certain playing conditions, such as when the hall is fast/slow, shuttle is fast/slow, the drift is more/less, the crowd is too noisy/quiet as suits you the most, then you have an irremediable weakness, just too bad for you. The tournament facilities are the same for both opponents in the same court (for the drift, you get to change sides), so if you can't adjust to it or is more affected by it than your opponent, that's too bad - it means you are not good enough, not professional, not experienced, you have a serious drawback that limits your progress, you get my drift.

As for luck, the only pure luck I accept are lucky net cords, broken string, the opponent's injury or coming to the tournament carrying some injury, the umpire's outrageous mistakes that cannot be corrected by IRS, and any unforeseen events beyond anybody's control.

Other than that, things like : (1)Luck of the draw; (2) having played long, grueling match(es) the previous day(s), unlike your opponent of the day; (3) not having longer rest period between matches due to tournament schedule (once you've enough rest , it doesn't matter if your opponent has a couple hours more), and suchlike - these are what every top professional has to learn to deal with and, most importantly, if you are the best player or in excellent form, you simply have to take all comers and beat every single one of the challengers to be worthy of being a true champion. In other words, if you need to have an easy draw or avoid certain difficult or feared opponents to get to the final or hope for your opponent to have a bad day,then in that case, sorry, you don't deserve to be the champion.

I mean, just look at , say, LCW's tournament records, the titles he won all over the world. under varied but acceptable to BWF tournament conditions and requirements.

That's just my opinion.

LenaicM and Anks like this.
  7. Baddyforall

Yeah. I have seen a post I think. But not sure

8. Baddyforall

I think Danish coaches might have wanted to know Sindhu's success in big events, they come up with arena conditions.

But what about draw, Being 5th seed Sindhu had to face top seed Tai , second seed Chen yufei on the way to finals. Her Only determination is to reach finals. That's what happened @ Rio as well. She defeated Tai in R16, Wang yihan in Quarters, Nozomi in Semis and reached finals when people would definitely would not predict that. That's the determination.

So , this hall conditions definitely would not suit a person with such a determination and will power.

arjevo and Anks like this.
  9. Hassefar60

Don't tempt me :p
    I don't care what you believe. I have heard numerous Danish players talk about slow/fast venues live on Danish TV, many times over the years, including, but not limited to VA, JOJ, HKV, BoMo, Joachim Fischer, Pedersen/Juhl.

When asked about how big a difference there can be, parallels are drawn to tennis surfaces.

If Asian players never talk about it, it is either because they won't admit it or they don't care, or because, as someone else pointed out, that a true champion should be able to perform in any conditions (as LCW and LD can for instance).

If Sindhu reaches the final in all BWF events (which she seems to do), she may just be that versatile. Or, maybe BWF events are typically in slow venues. (This was actually claimed by the Danish commentator but I am not sure I am buying it). However, BWF do use a different shuttle nowadays (Yonex Super1000?), which is only used in BWF events and Japan Open I think.

Airos likes this.
  10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Doesn't mean hall conditions don't exist. It just meant Shindu's power determination etc too great to be stopped by them.
    And Steen always comment about arena conditions in every match he does commentaries on. I love hearing his description of the playing conditions since MD matches rely heavily on arena conditions.

wade and Hassefar60 like this.
  11. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Well Just to answer those who are giving futile importance to the Asisstant coach of WORLD CHAMP Madam Camilla Martin who is now a commentator I would still give more value listening to a former WC Medalists themselves like GC and MF...Thanks !

He Should feel lucky that a few people like me Know him Because He was associated to my all time vintage favs Madam Martin or else I'd probablly never even know who he is.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Anybody who suggests hall conditions can't be talked about needs their heads examined. It's very normal in any sport's commentary to talk about the conditions and environment. Apart from being a factor in play, it provides the viewer with a greater sense of appreciation of the occasion.

skhai91, CLELY, Airos and 6 others like this.
  13. Hassefar60

Except.. you didn't know him.
    I am not saying he is a good commentator.
    I just suggest you show some respect for people who don't have a WC medal. It will bring you far on this planet as most people don't have one.

Also, why belittle the Danish HEAD coach (not assistant) through seven years, with multiple WC medals to his players, and at the same time praise PVS's Korean coach to the skies the way you did? Are coaches important or not? Decide!

nilesh123, It'sMeMeMe, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  14. Anks

Anks Regular Member

To Answer the first Part

I Respect him only because I know he is somehow associated to my vintage favourite Thats it.

To Answer the Second Part

I have nothing against COACHES who Coach their players but when a coach turns into a commentator thats where the problem is because they dont know about other players as they are not from their own countries.

Miss Kim JH the coach of the current World Champion is a COACH and she concentrates on her Student..thats why she should be praised for she doesnt sit on Mic talkin about other players and things which dont make sense.

Thats why FORMER PLAYERS make good commentators like GC and Coaches should do their job to polish their students.

15. Hassefar60

Did Morten Frost commentate on any of AA's matches? And if yes, how did he do?

I am curious because MF was head coach in AA's club in AA's youth years so it must have been hard to stay impartial :p

16. Baddyforall

Dont try to say that all BWF events in slow venues . I dont think it is the case. If you say that's why Sindhu reaches finals then I will ask you to confirm each and every venue where Sindhu reached finals were slow . Plz provide it with full explanation. I don't think you will or any Danish coaches can do it. That's the nature of the content of that subject (slow or fast). There is no much scope in that to elaborate on terms of success and failures .

17. Baddyforall

He was impartial. He explains the strengths and weaknesses clearly not like Steen.

Steen love certain players whose weaknesses he never mention even if he knows.

#1097 Baddyforall, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Hassefar60 likes this.
  18. Hassefar60

I hope you have lower standards for earning your respect from potential real life friends.

Two things though:

1: Your argument does not explain why players should make good commentators.

2: It seems like you have no clue about the job a coach nowadays. A huge part of it is EXACTLY knowing about the players from the OTHER countries. Who do you think do all the video analysis of PVS's opponents? PVS herself? Or Gopi or Kim JH? I bet you it is not Sindhu.
    A good coach is able to watch and analyse any player.

19. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I said what I Had to...Now wont be typing the same narative again.

Take care my friend

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have any. Even his family treated him unfairly, or so he had said previously. Hard to tell which is true and which is false information.