Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I thought about doing the scissor jump while playing games in Friday’s video. That’s the difference. This last video I played off of Muscle memory without thinking about it at all. Evidently I have lots of work to do to I grain better habits

DarkHiatus and Cheung like this.
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here was my first game of the night on Saturday. The player on my team is the best player at the club. He was an international player in the mid 90s from Berma. The player in the black on the other team is probably the 2nd or 3rd bests doubles player at this club. He played badminton in college. The player on my team will give me pointers in between points that are helpful.
    I unfortunately was only able to play one game with these two guys

3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I did a little training session. The intent was to work on my rear court footwork, improve my scissor jump and also be more constant with my stroke. In between each round of drills I did 20 swings in my garage hitting the shuttle tied to a string which served as my rest periods between sets

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I feel like I’m getting a little better :confused:

4. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Now we are talking. Well progress. You have been improved a lot lately on your form. Since you started to work more on footwork [I mentioned it long long time ago] Now it is time to try to use it in real game. This work show how important footwork is to badminton. Keep it up!!!! There are still ton of techniques about handwork for you to work on!!!!

Also keep playing with the guy from Berma you played with last video. He would be a big help for you.

5. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Great progress, looks really good, much better to see a complete movement pattern.

Here are some movement pattern which looks really good in my opinion:

0:26 Neutral split step at the beginning, scissor to the forehand backcorner, thought you should have finished with a neutral stance/split step.

0:08 The movement pattern to the backhand looks really good (including flying step/fei bo?). You still do a very directional split step, thought it helps you to push off more powerful with your right foot, you still need a lot of energy to rotate your body. To reach the backhand corner you need to move closer to the side line to take the shuttle overhead, therefor a more neutral split step could help you to push you more in the direction of the side line.

1:16 I'm unsure if this is intented, but you sometimes included a china jump which is a faster(?) way to reach the forehand corner, atleast to intercept a shuttle early on. You should include this more in your routine. A more neutral split step at start and end could help, you have a lot of body rotation at the start of your movement.

In general I think that the start and end of the movement pattern is something you should try to improve. There's the danger, that you reinforce a bad habbit by repeating it during training. The bad habbit is in my opinion the really pronounced directional split step, this leads to a lot of body rotation at the start of your movements. Time and energy you could spare, if you would start with a more neutral split step. Maybe it would be a good idea to make two split steps for a while, that is
    split -> movement -> back to base -> split
    little break
    split -> movement -> back to base -> split

Although check the distance, how far do you move ? From your base position you only need to cover roughly 2-3m. It is a good idea to reach behind the shuttle, but if you move too far you open up your court.
    When I do shadow footwork at home, I place some marks at the ground to check my positioning.

Mason likes this.
  6. Ballschubser

*double post*

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good suggestions here especially when it comes to having more of a neutral split step. Also I was intentionally not doing as much practice on the china jump because during games my natural reaction is to not rotate my hips and scissor jump. So I was working more on the scissor to allow it to be muscle memory.

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Shots from tonight’s games

9. Ballschubser

The training part at the beginning is something you could use in better ways. It mimics a typical double situation where you smash and the opponent defends by lifting it up. A situation where you already have a major advantage and build up a lot of pressure, a situation where it really doesn't matter alot if you do a split step, clean footwork or clean strokes.

Training should mimic the other way around, you should learn to act better under pressure.

For a better trainings effect I would just sugguest to combine your previous home training with a feeder. Do exactly what you do at home, only difference is that someone lifts a shuttle to a random backcourt corner.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Keep concentrating on that scissor kick. When you practice it, land with the left foot om the ground first then the right foot. Sometimes you land with both feet at the same time.

In your games, your right leg still doesn't scissor properly. However, I get the feeling the movement is good enough against most of people that you play in your club.

11. Obito

Obito Regular Member

I think if you want to practice your form, it is better for feeder to just feed the shuttle to you to the same position [One smash and one defend is good drill, but it is not a good idea for someone who try to fix their form] . Your form is not quite good as your form at the garage without the shuttle .You need to try to use that form with the shuttle. Seem like when you have your focus on the shuttle, your body keeps doing the bad habit.

My suggestion would be collect tons of shuttle and just let the feeder feeding them to you to the same position without you moving around first till you actually get a hang of it.

12. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Training can broadly be split into two: learning new techniques and reinforcing learnt techniques.

You don't want to jump into reinforcing techniques if you haven't suitably learnt a new technique, otherwise you risk reverting, picking up a new bad habit, or even injury.

13. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

To come back to your forehand technique, be careful as I see that you sometimes revert back to "pushing down the shuttle" a.k.a lift your arm to reach for the shuttle then pronate, instead of throwing your elbow, then pronate. There is a huge difference in the movement.

Example of bad "pushing" : week39 from 0:30 to 1:30.
    Example of more correct, smoother technique : week38 (post #663) from 1:55 to 2:40.

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thanks !

15. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

By the way, between the time we first started correcting your forehand technique and now, Badminton Famly made a quite explanatory video on it :

it's always a good thing to go back and watch the basics (gives you an image of what 'throwing your elbow' really means)

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I’ve watched this many many times
    Thank you
    As usual the challenge is trying to work on these things without real time feedback

17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

The only Badminton Club in Buffalo NY has moved to a new location and I played their last night. It was hard getting used to the walls being white but they do have 2 official badminton mats so that was nice to play on. I was only able to record a few games as according to new club policy recordings are not allowed.:(:(:(This is going to be very sad news for me making any future progress. I am hoping that there is someway that I will be able to record in the future.

18. rulebavaria

rulebavaria Regular Member

I have watched your last video and I have two quick comments:

1) When you do the footwork exercise, you should try to have a lower center of gravity. My coach tells me to "get my ass down". As it is, you stand too upright and you hop from one corner to the other while you should be gliding to the corners (like a crab)

2) Your racket movement when you go for a net kill is wrong. You draw your racket back and make a huge motion with your arm as if you would swat an insect. Your racket should be going from neutral position to the shuttle directly. The net kill motion is more forward than downward and it is done with only finger power and use of the forearm

Mason likes this.
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Good suggestions thank you!

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What’s the feedback from your club mates on your level?

I would say you have made great progress. Keep working on that scissor kick to groove the habit.

boby likes this.