Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Oh no. The juniors need somebody new. They are important for the future of badminton.

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Indeed, CBA has made unprecendented move to hire foreign coaches then massive reshuffling of their current coaching staff, the impact of dismal campaign in just concluded Basel World Championships.
    MS : Li Mao (head coach), Sun Jun & He Shangyang (Assistant)
    WS : Luo Yigang (HC), Wen Kai & Tang Xuehua (A)
    MD : Chen Qiqiu (HC), Yoo Young Sung & He Hanbin (A)
    WD : Kang Kyung Jin (HC), Tao Jiaming, Zhao Yunlei, Tian Bingyi (A)
    XD : Yang Ming (HC), Jiang Guoliang (A)

Li Mao is definitely a big headline, expected to revive China MS glory who's stuck at lowest position right now.

It'sMeMeMe, visor, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  3. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Hopefully Li Mao will take the talented juniors under his wing

#2603 antssantss, Sep 4, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not fully what with the Olympics coming up.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's the talk of the town in Chinese badminton circles and widely reported in the Chinese media. These two articles practically confirms it http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-09-05/doc-iicezzrq3648197.shtml and http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-09-05/doc-iicezueu3609011.shtml citing CBA Chairman, Zhang Jun, as the source of the news.

Li Mao is credited for nurturing the ' Four Transformers" of CHN MS during his time when he was coaching the CHN Team in the 90s, namely, Sun Jun, Dong Jiong, Luo Yigang and Chen Gang. Yes, he is assigned to helm the CHN MS team in preparation for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

As for the two Korean's appointments by CBA, Kang Kyun Jin and Yoo Yong Sung (error corrected), it was spreading like wild fire in the KOR media a few days before CBA officially announced it. Both Kang KJ and Yoo YS will be assigned to the doubles department, apparently KKJ to be the overall head (with emphasis on WD) and YYS specifically to assist in training the CHN MD.

By the way, Yoo Yeon Seong after his retirement has had coaching stints in KOR, Malaysia and Singapore.

#2605 Justin L, Sep 5, 2019
    CLELY, LenaicM, antssantss and 2 others like this.
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I thought it was Yoo Yong Sung, not Yoo Yeon Seong?

Baddie lover likes this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

j4ckie likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for the correction. It should be Yoo Yong Sung (44 years old) , I got myself mixed up while typing his name as I only have his Chinese name in the article to work on and no pictures to alert me, and in a moment I mistook it for Yoo Yeon Seong (33 years old). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoo_Yong-sung

#2608 Justin L, Sep 5, 2019
    LenaicM and Baddie lover like this.
  9. event

event Regular Member

Actually, the hiring of Yoo has not been reported in the Korean media. The last reference you'll find to Yoo Yong Sung in Korean are May reports of him being the head coach at a facility run by a Korean American in California and those were in Korean-language news sources in the U.S. He has been in California for several years. I believe he left Singapore in 2013 or 2014.

I'm assuming, of course, that j4ckie and Cheung are correct about CBA having hired Yoo Yong Sung - the two-time Olympic silver medallist. The 33-year-old Yoo Yeon Seong has no coaching experience.

Cheung and Justin L like this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Appreciate it.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Not me about Yoo Yong Sung :) it was @CLELY

Definitely interesting the Chinese media reporting Yoo’s name and that doesn’t appear in Korean media. The plot thickens.

12. event

event Regular Member

I don't know about a plot but that part seems logical to me. Donga was the only news source that reported on Kang and I get the impression that they got the tip-off from the man himself or some other source. Obviously, it wasn't from the BKA and if it were from the CBA, the Chinese media would have reported on it first, unless Donga violated some embargo. Yonhap reported later on the Chinese media reporting on the Donga article (after this was reported on by Badzine and shared by Badminton Talk, Badminton Central, etc.). Not getting the news from CBA would also explain why Yoo and Li would not appear in the Korean media. Yoo hasn't been in badminton circles here since he left for Malaysia, I believe. He hasn't coached or played for a pro team since then and he has been living in the United States.

What I find more interesting is that the Chinese media seemed to go for nearly 3 days on 2nd-hand news. But now the CBA has made it public officially, no?

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The rumor said that CBA would announce officially the complete coaching staff on 17th September 2019, coincidentally with CHN Open S1000 kick-off.

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yup, Sun Jun (WChamps 1999) and Dong Jiong (Atlanta 1996 silver medalist + 1998 AG gold medalist) were CHN MS backbone in mid 1990's whilst Luo YG and Chen G are average player, nothing stunning achievement in their entire career as far as I remembered.

Both Pan Li and Chen Yu have been demoted to handle junior, third-layered squad.

15. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Li Mao’s return has been very well received. Pleasantly surprised as Dong Jiong is almost a generation away... even the clash with LD was ancient story. Anyway, they say he is gonna work with Chen Long.

Cheung likes this.
  16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

History Made as China Signs Up Korean Coaches
    06 September, 2019
    TEXT BY DEV SUKUMAR | BADMINTON PHOTO

-----------------------------------------
    “South Korea has been a leading power in doubles. Hopefully Kang Kyung Jin and Yoo Yong Sung can bring us the philosophy and training methods of South Korea and adapt them to fit Chinese players. In this way, we can lift China’s doubles to a higher level,” said Zhang.

Veteran Chinese coach Li Mao returned to the national team after leaving in 1998. The 61-year-old will be in charge of China’s men’s singles as they prepare for Tokyo 2020.

“Li Mao is an experienced coach with great sense of responsibility and has a unique way of training. He once coached men’s singles elite players including Dong Jiong and Sun Jun and has coaching experience in the South Korea and Malaysia national teams. His return will help our young players and young coaches improve,” Zhang said.

___

Full text : https://bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2019/09/06/history-made-as-china-signs-up-korean-coaches/

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-09-05/doc-iicezzrq3754454.shtml
    对于此次时隔20余年重回国家队,央视记者电话采访了李矛,指出李矛在受到邀请的那一刻无比激动,李矛说:“终于可以为国效力了!每一个中国人能为国效力是种荣耀。我们在海外教球那是生存,现在(回国执教)是奉献,这是我一贯的宗旨。国家需要我的时候,我就是爬也要爬到。”对于中国队现在存在什么样的问题,李矛说:“牌是付好牌,但没有打好,需要改变观念。”

With regard to Li Mao's return to the national team after an absence of 20 years, a CCTV reporter who interviewed him on the phone described how emotional he was the moment he received the invitation, whereupon Li Mao poured out:" At last I can serve my country ! It's an honour for every Chinese who can serve the nation. When we go abroad to teach, it is for the sake of livelihood, now (returning home to teach) is dedication, this is my principle all along. When my country needs me, I will crawl back even if I have to."

As to what kind of problems Team China is facing, Li Mao replied:" Yes, we have a good set of cards, but didn't play it right, have to change our conception."

CLELY and Cheung like this.
  18. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Was not he who had some bad experience with Lindan when he was coaching south korea?

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

19. skhai91

skhai91 Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeap, back in 2008 I think. I was just about to bring it up. Wondering how will the dynamics be like with Lin Dan still in the national team. Hopefully no drama though.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-09-05/doc-iicezueu3620371.shtml
    I believe both Lin Dan and Li Mao have put that unfortunate incident, their past conflict, behind them years ago. In Lin Dan's autobiography written just before he captured his second Olympic gold at London 2012, he gave recognition to Li Mao's coaching ability, as follows:
    “李矛是一位很优秀的教练员,这毫无疑问,至少我觉得他的效率很高。之前他带过我的前辈孙俊、董炯,他们是当时中国男单最顶尖的两位选手。他还带过曾经比较低迷的韩国男单孙升模、李炫一,孙升模还获得了雅典奥运会的亚军。再到后来,他又去了马来西亚执教李宗伟。你会发现,他在有限的时间里,帮助这些运动员提高了一截,让当地的男单水平有所起色。”
    "Li Mao is a very outstanding coach, no doubt about it, at least I think he is highly efficient. Previously, he led my seniors, Sun Jun, Dong Jiong, they were China's two finest athletes at that time. He also led the once on the decline KOR men's singles Shon Seung-mo, Lee Hyun-Il, and Shon Seung-mo even clinched the 2004 Athens Olympics silver. Then later he went to Malaysia to coach Lee Chong Wei. You would discover, despite working under limited time constraints, he was able to help those athletes raised their game a notch or two, allowing the men's singles standard to improve to some extent."

#2620 Justin L, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019