Kindly recommend another head heavy, stiff racket like ZF2

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by alternat0, Sep 8, 2019.

1. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

hai all... just got to play regularly again after sometime, and need a racket recommendation :)

now i play 1-2 times a week, intermediate level. only play doubles, i like to play from the back, mix of smash, attacking lob, off-speed smash, and some drops.

history of rackets that i really enjoyed include Armortec 800 Offensive, Apacs Lethal 70, and finally Voltric Z-Force II. you know that i've been out of the game for sometime.
    btw, all are 4u. and my string now is BG66 Ultimax, 25lbs.

for these rackets, i really like the head-heaviness when smashing, and the stiffness for placements. notably really, really like the solid feeling (and the shaft repulsion) for back hand. is it just me, but defense against smash, either short placement returns or high lifts, feels really good with head-heavy, stiff rackets. for me, drives and netting are not really an issue.

i don't mind high-end racket, but if there are other options why not.
    some rackets i've been reading on (would love to get comparison with any of the ones i've mentioned above) Astrox 88D, 99, E-Tune 80.

Also Li-ning N55, N70, N80, N90, although not sure about version I, II, or III, have not followed Li-ning rackets previously, which makes it really intriguing to use. using charts, i usually look for the most high-up north-east direction.

besides those maybe Ashaway, Carlton, Babolat, Mizuno, Apacs? its a jungle for me now.
    if i can sum-up might be: if there actually exist such racket, almost play like ZF2 but bigger frame and larger sweet spot :)

2. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Victor thruster k9900 identical specs to zf2 mate

3. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

didn't mention Victor :) ok going to search more on K9900. how bout K9000 in the chart it is more head-heavy?

4. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

Li Ning N99

5. llrr

llrr Regular Member

The real truth is that nothing is like the zf2. You're out of luck unfortunately. If you can get an original VT80, perhaps that would suit your need for a larger head but similar feel. Nothing else is like the zf2, no matter the specs on paper.

boby, alternat0 and trizzforce like this.
  6. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Totally agree. It's like a beast that has to be tamed and how long it takes depends on your skill level.
    I'm only intermediate so I took quite a while to appreciate the racquet. It tries you out easily after several smashes and is very unforgiving for off centre shots. Sweet spot is so modest that it makes me reflect on my general stroke quality as well.
    Long story short, I'd you're looking for something like zf2, then buy another zf2. If you can settle for less, I'd suggest Duroa 10 or Z Strike. Not over the top head heavy and good stiffness.

alternat0 and Cheung like this.
  7. Michel Aupin

Michel Aupin Regular Member

yeah zf2 has no match. You may find something else head heavy, stiff instead of xstiff but easier to play and more forgiving than zf2.
    Victor: tk9900 is quite good. Frame is a bit small if I remember correctly.
    Lining: Maybe 3d calibar 900? 4u, not that much hh and stiff tho. There is also the Aeronaut 9000D; looks very interesting on paper.
    yonex: Astrox 99, Astrox 88D, 80Etune with parts. You can also add Voltric Lin Dan Force. I have one, 2019 version. Quite HH and stiff.
    All good choice. 88D is quite popular for double, fast but with good power.

8. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

not on my initial list, but will read up...

9. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

thanks, i think each high-end Yonex racket feels good (for me as long as its head heavy & stiff, a long time ago i tried nanospeed and didn't work), will take in to consideration..

10. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

i see 2 recoms for TK9900 so far, but if small frame then as those posted above, maybe stick with zf2 or other yonex.

also 2 for VT80 family. VT80 original sounds interesting @llrr, might be less pricey if i can get it.

reading up maybe 88D or 99 might be the best choice for yonex.

9000d huh? interesting.. lining is really enticing, since i've never tried any high-end ones.

11. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Having used both 88D and 99, I can say that neither feels like zf2. They're close, but not the same. 88D is lighter, 99 is head heavier than 88D (still not zf2 level), but it's a bit softer in the head.

12. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

what do you mean by softer in the head?

13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I can't really describe it any better. It just flexes more and feels softer. 88D and zf2 have very solid heads, like nf800.

14. phantan123

phantan123 Regular Member

Probably because of the NAMD material in the head of the 99. It flexes more the harder you hit it. While the 88D only has NAMD on the shaft.

llrr likes this.
  15. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Correct. It feels precisely like this.

16. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

got it, thanks...

i kinda have no doubt Yonex high-end would be great somehow.
    anyone with more Lining experience & knowledge? really, really interested to get one..

or other brands :)

17. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Might be nowhere similar to zf2 but N80 II is a good allrounder, Good Speed + Good Power.

18. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Adidas has the P8, which should be close to a ZF II, but it also has a compact head. I'll get my hands on one, but cannot promise when (shouldn't be too long from now).

Babolat has the X-Feel Blast which is stiff (plays stiffer than ZF II), but the T-Joint is not the most stable (unless they fixed that for the new colored version) and it's a smaller head. Also, it's by far not as head heavy as a ZF II.

Then there's the Babolat Satelite (6.5) Blast. This might be what you're looking for. It's 3U, but not as head heavy as the ZF II, by bending, the shaft feels very similar to the ZF II, but with the larger head, I think it flexes a little bit more. Also, the T-Joint is much more stable compared to the X-Feel and with the larger head, it might be what you're looking for if you can try it.

19. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Have u tried Lining turbocharging N9ii ?? Its even balanced for doubles and a racket bomb when trying to smash. But u will not find the head heavy during play unless u prepare to swing for a smash. I suggest you to do a dry swing of it.. if u cant find n9ii then its latest avatar is turbocharging 75. If you looking for a medium stiff of it then turbocharging 75d (d for drive). if ur looking for lethal power then its turbocharging 75c (c for combat)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. lurker

lurker Regular Member

i hv the tk9900 and zf2
    no, they are not close...
    tk9900 is more flex