Li Ning No. 1 String - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Aug 20, 2015.

1. adriyadi

adriyadi New Member

There is a new variant for this string, it's called LiNing No. 1 Boost with 0.66 diameter. Has anyone here tried that string?

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I haven't even seen that string in any of the known shops. Do you have a link?

3. adriyadi

adriyadi New Member

s_mair likes this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

adriyadi likes this.
  5. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Interesting. Extra repulsion power but No.1 is already a 10 according to Li-Ning. But boost has better durability, hitting sound and shock absorption with no reduction in any other area. Very interesting - or the figures are made up by marketeers trying to oversell a product. It would be good if the extra 0.01mm was a rougher coating to be closer to BG80 level of control.

Control 8 vs 8
    Durability 7 vs 8
    Repulsion power 10 vs 10
    Hitting sound 9 vs 10
    Shock absorption 7 vs 8

6. adriyadi

adriyadi New Member

Yeah I agree, it can be either a marketing gimmick or truly proven specs, depend on each players' taste for sure :) I want to try it soon when my LN1 .65 snap.

7. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

li ning no.1 boost and li ning 66 extreme .... both have made in japan written on the packaging....kinda weird ahhaha anyway tried one each on 3U n 4U nf800.....seems to be not much different than regular no.1...or maybe i just couldn't feel the difference ahhaha

well i don't use much li ning string anyway except maybe no. 1....

anyway i only use them for 1 session before cutting them and change to regular kizuna 65 n 63 coz i really need to try this nf800 with same setup as my other rackets....

perhaps some other guys with access to these 2 strings can give reviews ahah

8. VeritasC&E

VeritasC&E Regular Member

If you want to give a LN1-like string a fair try, you should give it more than 1 session. I personally always hate LN1 on my first session after stringing, though I really like it afterwards

9. It'sMeMeMe

for strings my group always test it for 1session n not more.... to eliminate error our mind or body adapting to the string....n also before tension loss

well i guess we got differing pt of view

anyway perhaps others will give their insight into this li ning claimed 3d-braided strings am sure they will be able to tell complete picture

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Fully matches my experience with LN1. I'm using it pretty much exclusively for the past 4 years and it starts to really shine after the second session. Freshly strung, it feels too harsh. And looking back to the very beginning of this thread, this was the case starting with my very first test with it.

What's wrong with adapting to new gear? Do you also ditch a new racket after one session only?

VeritasC&E and Saru like this.
  11. It'sMeMeMe

hmmm how to explain ...how about we don't do long term string test?....or how about we judge string based on how it plays right after it comes off stringing machine.....n not few days later or few sessions later? i doubt many pros play in tourney using strings that has been baked in after several sessions.....

i guess my.group.just do short term tests i guess....

as for rackets...not much difference..initial first few games are important to whether we sell or hold new rackets

as i said we got differing pt of view....

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Can we ditch this pro-player joker pulling as substitute for arguments? Please! We don't play cards here. It really seems that some here pray their behavior up and down without knowing their own needs.

IMO a string needs a fair assessment with the full spectrum of all needs. Beside the playing characteristics, durability, tension retention and overall performance over time are important for us average joes.

There are several strings which play awesome for me on first session (e.g. BG66UM, NGB99, ZM62). Some strings are later performer (e.g. BG80). And some strings are decent performer over some time (e.g. LN1, BG80Power). Each string don't work for everybody at the same tension at peak performance. You need to balance it out, which can mean 3 restrings. Some strings need knocking off 1-2 lbs, other need some extra. This can have a huge influence.

Even if I ditched a string, I always give it once in a while off-season a chance to convince me.

For rackets, you need a month to figure out if it clicks or not. Sometimes you are used to swing your current racket different than the tested one. Especially when you test a lighter or heavier frame you will not hit it great. Some games don't give you the chance and space to judge all aspects of it. I ditched also rackets after first impressions and fall in love late. I also never gave some rackets a fair chance because of specs and after I gave it a try I always found something which I liked and surprised me.

13. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Do you only play strings for one session? Strings change over time, especially during/after the first time they're played. Therefore (in my opinion) you should give them more than one session. Unless of course, you get a fresh stringjob for every session.

decoy, ucantseeme, adriyadi and 2 others like this.
  14. It'sMeMeMe

yes you guys are correct of course

however, that's not what my group do... we all are older guys who spend money each round trying new rackets n new shoes n new grips...n strings to some extent.....hobby is the thrill of trying new n comparing it to the old n see how they compare
    of course there are keepers in my group after the one week testing period...e.g i dismissed ax88s n ax88d very quickly...turn out about half in my group right now using 3U 88s n 4U 88d long term n enjoying them....or that mizuno wave fang ss which i used for 3 years but all others dislike due to lack of cushion

i dismissed this no.1 boost n 66 extreme beCoz we tried those for fun...what was more pressing was to try the pair of nf800 with our regular strings n setup and how they compare to other rackets we own

i don't know whether these 2 new strings from li ning gonna be excellent in longer term or not....just that they were so-so from the get-go (compared to no.1 from what WE CAN TELL) not to mention it was on new rackets...the priority wasn't the strings

if there are any takers in group who wanna try these 2 new strings in long term, then why not? did i say that it won't happen for sure? did i say that li ning no.1 a bad string n none in my group using it for long term?

you guys comprehension really needs some fixing....

15. adriyadi

adriyadi New Member

alright.. calm down guys :)

16. It'sMeMeMe

ah i c where the confusion comes from
    when we test new string we only do 1 session - 3 sessions max (1 week) to prevent the reasons i.stated....this is.true this is what we do....we change back to usual string (various usual string) right away to compare...if after that some wanna test long term then it's their choice (usually influenced by reviews n no. of pros using)...now this 2 li ning strings kinda different coz.they.were on new rackets so we immediately cut it after 1 session to revert back to usual string n grip.setup coz the rackets got.more priority....
    however so far the replies from those.who.tried briefly in that 1 session says it's so-so and so far no taker for long term test.....if you guys think my group method of testing new string is wrong then all i can say is we got differing pt of view.....there i make it as clear as i can...

17. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Purely on a one session fresh strung basis, does anything even beat a high tension aerosonic stringbed?

ucantseeme and VeritasC&E like this.
  18. It'sMeMeMe

actually none in my group right now uses aerosonic...no aerobite either n no abbt....i have no idea why o_O

19. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Maybe they secretly did some durability testing. :D

VeritasC&E and ucantseeme like this.
  20. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

So I've been using the LN1 (red) for about 6 sessions now, but I'm not feeling the praises everyone is talking about. Freshly strung, it has a nice ping to it, but it just feels dull now without the repulsion. I have the same racket but with BG66UM, and LN1 just feels like a more slippery, harder, and less repulsive version of it. I usually like hard strings, BG80 is still my favorite but LN1 feels dull to me. I play at 24lbs and I've heard it shines at higher tensions, so I guess this string isn't for me.