Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

As predicted, he's officially withdrew for Basel WChamps : http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-08-03/doc-ihytcerm8243422.shtml

Mario21 likes this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

#202 Justin L, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  3. Michael Foo

Michael Foo New Member

The period between SYQ's ankle injury and Tokyo 2020 is about a year. Will he be fully fit and ready to compete by then? I would love to watch another duel between Shi and Momota if it ever happens.

4. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

Grade 2 sprains take 6-10 weeks to recover. SYQ's injury looked like a Grade 3 sprain because of the immediate swelling and size, and he also has opted for surgery. I'd estimate 14+ weeks before he's back on court for training.

On paper, he should still be comfortably ahead of Lin Dan and Chen Long in Tokyo 2020 qualification, especially if he applies for ranking protection from BWF.

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

His name has been registered for upcoming CHN Open Super 1000 (17-22 September 2019) : https://extranet.bwfbadminton.com/d...ion 1 _Updated Friday, 09th August 2019_.xlsx

6. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

7. Michael Foo

Michael Foo New Member

About 14 wks to recover, how is SYQ to play in the China Open Super 1000? Although registered, I think he'll opt out. The earliest he can play is the December World Tour Finals. He should be ready for Tokyo 2020. What happened to the China's female player who suffered the same knee injury as Marin? Any latest update? Looks like when Marin and Axelsen will appear on court is also uncertain.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-08-26/doc-ihytcern3552002.shtml (sorry, too lengthy for me to translate and mostly consisting of easily and widely known details. So let me just post the most interesting part as below)

Yesterday, the reporter managed to talk to Shi Yuqi's father, Shi Lei, on the phone. Shi Lei let out that Shi Yuqi is recovering well presently, basically he's able to walk normally, there is hope that he may take part in the China Open twenty over days later.

(Of course, it's not official, the father cannot decide for SYQ, he is just expressing his own opinion. Apparently, SYQ is eager to get back into competition , the China Open is one of the tournaments he's always been keen to play, and he is anxious to start earning Olympic qualification points for which he has only about eight months left to do so, according to the author's view.

By the way, I just checked the M & Q Report Version 2 for the VICTOR China Open 2019 11-22 Sep, his name is in it.)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Seems a bit soon to me. Who's he supposed to play? If a weak opponent, he might try just to maintain some qualifying points

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too. The draw is not out yet, if he is really going to play, it's obvious he just want s to earn as many ranking points as possible to close the gap with Lin Dan and Chen Long in the race to Tokyo standings where, at the moment, Lin Dan is ranked 18 with 5 tournaments played, 19,810 points earned and Chen Long is at 21 with 4 tournaments, 17,740 points earned while he is at 32 with only 2 tournaments, 14,711 points earned so far.

Don't forget, Lin Dan is even registered to play the lowly Belarus Int'l at Minsk this week - the first International series event in his career ? I guess we can empathise with Shi Yuqi for considering playing the Super 1000 VICTOR China Open next month, just not sure if the doctor and coaches have given him the green light.

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

The draw was already out, he will take on Lu Guangzu in opening round. Later on Sun Jun revealed in press conference of upcoming CHN Open that Shi YQ may withdraw in Changzhou event as he needs 7 weeks to be fully recovered so expecting his return in October BWF World Tour (DEN & FRA Open) => http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-08-30/doc-iicezueu2134475.shtml

Justin L likes this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This sounds more sensible. If he reinjured the ankle at China Open due to incomplete recovery, then that would set him back for maybe 5 months in a crucial period. Best to miss a couple more tournaments, work on conditioning in the meantime.

Sun Jun would know this. He himself had an ankle injury in the run up to the Olympics 2000 after being world champion in 1999.

skhai91 and CLELY like this.
  13. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Justin L likes this.
  14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

15. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Now possibility of seeing LD in r2 in Korea look bleak. Might be a tactical move by SYQ considering the Olympics qualification situation?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's a distinct possibility, put it down to internal rivalry.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid, whatever definite actual and/or psychological advantage Shi Yuqi might have over Momota after that devastating defeat on his opponent at the Sudirman Cup is erased (temporarily, hopefully) or reset to zero by his unfortunate ankle injury.

For sure, it'll take quite a while for SYQ to be fully match-fit and regain his top form - a few more months? I hope it's shorter than that as time is pressing for him to get back into the Race to Tokyo 2020. Let's see how it goes.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

If he had Carolina Marin amazing determination and huge ambition, it would not need long time to get back his fine form.

19. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'm not certain you can reason this way and compare people when it comes to injuries. First every injury is different, second even a similar injury can still be different from case to case and third and last any individual will react differently to an injury, same or not, smaller or bigger.

I don't SYQ's ambition and determination is less than C. Marin. It's just two different individual and different cases. He will come back when he is 100% :).

llrr likes this.
  20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

For a player to return from injury usually having bigger psychological obstacle than physical department such as doubtness and lack of self-belief. I meant Carolina Marin is just inspiring example to create successful comeback, of course everyone has different character.