When will they ban screaming?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Charlie-SWUK, Sep 22, 2019.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

If no one watches, the players don't earn the sponsors money, so they stop sponsoring stuff...so the viewers are important. Not above anything else, but I have yet to come across any evidence that screaming at your absolute loudest is necessary in any way. While I don't wish injuries upon any player, I sure enjoyed the time Marin was not around. Finally able to watch WS without risking permanent hearing loss.

whatAHassle and Sumanth99 like this.
  2. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

when will no one? They still complaining, mean they still watch it anw. And they should mind the play more than the celebrate

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I for one don't watch Marin matches. So that's a viewer lost right there. No one is of course not meant literally, but strong drops in viewership would be enough for lots of sponsors to jump ship.

regularAl likes this.
  4. vozer here

Seem like they still doing gud.

There're too many players scream, a bit or a lot. Too many to ban

LenaicM likes this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No one's talking about banning players. The idea is introducing a rule that forbids screaming too loudly. Same as any other rule, you'd initially get warned for breaking it, not disqualified.

6. vozer here

Too many (players do that) to ban (the screaming). If they ban, it will affect too much. Better let them be nature than a contest so you think you can scream

In tennis, umpire try to keep the audience be quiet before the play so players can be focus. Badminton should do the same

Comfortable players or comfortable audience. Players are those who made the match. Audience? No big view drop threat yet

#26 vozer here, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    LenaicM likes this.
  7. vozer here

indonesia open 2019 ws final vs china open 2019 ws final

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    japan open 2018 vs japan open 2019

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

girls, just scream out loud

#27 vozer here, Sep 24, 2019
  8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I think I last about 10 minutes before I get sick of it.

The thing is, it's not inside the rallies. It's after the rallies. I'm not calling for them to have to change a single thing about the way they actually play the game. Unless there's something about women's physiology that prevents them from playing well without screaming, then I couldn't see it as a justified behaviour. Because somehow almost every other player from every discipline does just fine without screaming. They literally have rules about their towel not hanging over the basket, and a player can get in trouble for doing so, because it compromises the sponsorship deals of that tournament. Does a towel hanging out impact their play? Not at all, but it's code of conduct.

If a discipline becomes physically repulsive to watch because of the behaviour of its participants, there is clearly a problem.

whatAHassle likes this.
  9. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Something is wrong with Marin lol.

If tennis was able to ban screaming, then so can badminton

10. vozer here

almost every players scream a bit or a lot. And they does just fine with the screaming. You dont need to scream and you dont need to not scream

tennis wasnt. Also badminton. Screaming is not something new

#30 vozer here, Sep 24, 2019
  11. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    You can grunt but you don't need to scream at 109 decibels after you won a point. No one does. It just makes the sport ugly.

Look up Monica Seles in tennis. Tennis restricted noise levels many times in tournaments since then, as well as allowing the empire to award a point against the player who screams. It's not well implemented but at least tennis has tried.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Most players scream/shout not to rattle their opponents, but to pump themselves up, to get their adrenaline going, and to release any pent up jitters. I remember reading an interview of Marin's coach Rivas who said screaming is part of her mental strength training as it was not natural for her initially.

Now females are biologically weaker physically, so they try to recruit every single ounce of their adrenaline and body muscles by trying to be more aggressive and shout/scream. Cue in some female tennis players, usually it's the thinner smaller females who hit the higher decibels.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

LenaicM likes this.
  13. vozer here

You dont need to=you dont need to not. Just do what you want. I doubt if marin did hit 109 decibels. Chen q, keigo are louder than her

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

In what universe....please. Shes the loudest and its not even close.

15. vozer here

In multi universe. Actually ppl just dont like her tone, the way it sound, not the way it loud

LenaicM likes this.
  16. vozer here

inside the rallies, it could distract opponent

31:56

17. hieu nguyen

hieu nguyen Regular Member

I don't mind the screaming. Actually, it gets the audience more involve. I don't like boring matches. Let's get at each other. Everything matters to win. Heck I'll do whatever it takes to get my energy up. Of course, I don't suggest screaming at your opponent.

Fidget likes this.
  18. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Your opinion is valid.:) No one likes boring matches. It’s the “of course” that is the tricky bit.

“Of course,” implies that everybody agrees that there is an obvious line that should not be crossed. But that is the point of the thread. We don’t all agree on where that line is.

When does ‘screaming’ become ‘screaming at your opponent’? Who decides what is aggressive and disturbing versus harmless and motivating?
    I don’t have the answer, but I prefer that umpires have the discretion to decide what is reasonable in a given match. And for friendly games, one should treat opponents as one wishes to be treated ... however loud that may be. :rolleyes:

19. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    There is shouting and there is screaming like Marin.

Marin's scream is just ridiculous

whatAHassle likes this.
  20. Leemarc28

Leemarc28 Regular Member

Let them scream and let's enjoy the beautiful game of badminton. Imagine badminton without screaming so boring right. Let nature take course.