rate my job, Am i a lousy stringer?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by fanfaron, Sep 5, 2019.

?

Is my job lousy?

Poll closed Sep 12, 2019.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I showed this picture to my friend stringer and he says by preweaving like I do. I induce line twisting which I object.

as you can see I start preweaving the cross after the shareholes because the first 4 crosses there's lot of friction and line(string) can twist. I preweave like that because I weave pretty slow compare to master Alan. By leaving them in diagonal I find there's only little bit friction almost negligible. And by pulling the string in diagonal I find there's not burning of the string.
    The benefit to preweaving like this makes me string faster because I hardly move during thoses crosses and the motion of preweaving is fresh in my head and also my memory muscles, so I'm faster. And I tension faster too. I save maybe 6 minutes... or maybe more...

Now I string rackets on average 31 minutes compare to 45 before with the method of preweaving one ahead.

My friend told me that the last string has some twist, you can see that at the bottom right. but the last string is very easy to untwist, just pull in diagonal and straightening the "pulled string" afterwards( anyway hope you guys know what I mean) We know when preweaving all the rackets and tensioning the racket leave nasty twist because all the string is already in the rackets and there's no way to untwist them.

So guys what do you think?

what upset me most is he says his standard is very high. I know I do a good job. I take pride on my job. I do that as a hobby when I lower my job to 25 min. I'll be very happy.

2. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

If you like I can judge your photo as lousy ;), but I am not going to put a grade on your work just by one unfinished dark photo. There is a say that only stupid people judge half finished job... :cool:

However I see that your knots looks very nice and your pre-weaving have not reached the shared grommet, which introduce most of the twisting... I suspect it might be actually ok in the end, but again... I am not going to judge an unfinished job :D.

3. stradrider

I think it looks fine, at least from the photos. I too like tying mains at the ninth grommet when doing 2 string method.

What I would also do after the stringing is a bit straighten the strings - your side mains bow a bit towards the center and bottom ones bow up.

4. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

Ok will pay attention, I straighten the string too but maybe I didn't pay enough attention.

Today I strung 28x30 on a LiNing racket mega force... everything held up. took me 40 min. though. First time doing on a so high tension on my 2 points machine.

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Crossing isn't that big of a deal. I'm not sure why you're pre-weaving so much though; once you get passed any shared/blocked holes, it feels a bit obsolete to preweave that far ahead.

stradrider likes this.
  6. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I find i weave much faster . maybe its because i move less. Also weaving is faster maybe becauce weaving motion fresh in my head. I string maybe 2 badminton contrat per month...
    Also I found tensioning is faster because I found turning the racket left right and. Tension easier motion than turn weave one ahead tension... Although there's no shortcut of motion because either way you have to do the same motion.

For someone who string their racket in 25min I don't think they will see a improvement with preweaving. But for slower stringer I think it's faster with only minor drawbacks like pulling string slower because less string to hold on when pulling with the finger.

I also notice another improvement is less string tangle. Because most string is on the rackets it gets less in the way.

In summary 2 or 3 benefits. Less string tangle, weave faster for slow weaver and tension faster. 1 drawback pull string slower.

Slow stringer should try it

#7 fanfaron, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  7. stradrider

I too think that best is to string only one ahead, that way you always soft weave which is fastest..

It also helps to hold the string in your hand while pulling it trough so that you never waste time to find string's end...

#8 stradrider, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    s_mair and kwun like this.
  8. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

Will try again not preweaving and time.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'm afraid your friend is right - preweaving "traps" twists so they don't "escape" between cross weavings.

I see no reason to pre-weave more than one ahead, other than to get string off the floor.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    weaving one ahead is the best unless you have the finger strength and dexterity of a full time pro stringer.

as for pre-weaving, I don't find it easier. loose strings are harder to deal with than tensioned strings.

11. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I just strung a racket with weaving one ahead and it took me the same time as my previous technic...

I think I weave too slow, I'm on my 80th racket, but still weaving very slow compare to fast stringer.

I again with mark that preweave can trap the twists but if carefully done making sure there's no twist before on the next cross, it's ok.

Still with the last rackets I was not faster. So back to weave one cross ahead.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    need more practice to get used to it. try at least 5 rackets.

13. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I'm on my 80th racket still not fast. Always need two pass for threading a cross. People on YouTube do it in one move. I kinda thread half racket, pull more string to have slack and thread the other half. Need to do in one pass like fast stringer. Also I need to watch my string while weaving meaning the up down. It seems fast stringer do it by feel of their hands...

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    before weaving 1 ahead I wasn't able to do 1 pass consistently. after learning 1-ahead now I am consistently doing 1 pass. it does take a bit of learning time but it is worth it.

15. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

Thanks for sharing.

My only critiques:

(1) Knots at shared holes? A big NO-NO for me. Not following YY's recommendation for this racket.
    (2) Straighten the strings better right after finishing the job.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i disagree.

1) if the shared hole is large enough, I don't see any issue with knotting there. don't follow YY's recommendation blindly.
    2) straighten the string after every tension when the tensioner is still engaged, if you do it after the string job, you will lose tension.

speCulatius, stradrider and s_mair like this.
  17. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Depends if the yonex racket is still in the warranty period ;)

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Victor specify knots at the shared hole at bottom 9 for a while. So, this pattern is very Victor 2 piece style.

How does anybody remove all line twisting weather pre-weaving or not? Especially aerosonic :mad:

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the location of the knots location is probably the least important part of a stringing pattern. more important is the sequence of string application and tensioning. that's where the true value of a pattern comes in.

with that in mind, almost 90% of the factory patterns are really just the same stuff. there are minor differences more due to wanting to be different than the other guy than anything else. They are all bottom up patterns with tiny insignificant differences in the final strings and tie off.

the 10% is some of the Gosen/Victor patterns which does make a difference but they are more complicated.

then there are the other non-factory patterns which are more complicated / slow no manufacturers will put them as their factory recommendation.

#19 kwun, Oct 28, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    stradrider likes this.
  19. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

I usually avoid judging other stringers, but rather share some observations from looking at those pics that nobody pointed out previously.

Unless the customer makes a special request to pass 3 strings in the same hole, it's something I prefer to avoid. Personally if i were the customer and saw that on my racket I would not be happy to see that as there are other larger grommets available to accomodate the knots.

As for factory recommended pattern + knots, I always prefer to follow that unless there is a special request.

Regarding straightening strings, always during tensioning/clamping for sure, but also a final overall straightening at the end before considering the job DONE-DONE.

In the end, it's all about the customer satisfaction if that matters to the stringer.