Smash rotation, looking for help

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by phillybean, Oct 30, 2019.

1. phillybean

phillybean New Member

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the body rotation during a smash.
    Like everyone, I'm always trying to improve, and one comment I received from a great player was that during the smash, my racket is coming around, and almost hitting the bird like a swinging door, is the best way I can put it?
    If I had to draw it from an overhead view, the black is my head, and the dotted lines are the path of the racket, the first one is what I think I am doing, and I think I need to do the second drawing.
    So I guess the biggest question I have, does anyone have any ideas how I can correct a habit where my swing does not go from rotation to hitting the bird forward? Do I need to bring my rack behind me and the throw my arm forward, etc.?

Thanks for any input anyone has!

upload_2019-10-30_13-22-40.png

2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Can you record yourself ? That would give people a better chance of helping you

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If you are hitting like in your first diagram then you probably need to think about changing your contact point higher and more in front of you. Probably you current contact is low and to the side.

If you concentrate on the contract point it'll be pretty difficult to swing like a door and still hit the shuttle. Unless you really lean away from the shot.

You probably have the same issue with clears so try to fix that first... Easier to modify the slower swing.

Sent from my ONE E1001 using Tapatalk

4. khoai

khoai Regular Member

This is most likely because your elbow is not high enough. So when your body rotates, your elbow doesn't guide your arm as an arc from the back to front vertically but more like a tilted arc (similar to a late forehand back corner swing). You can swing in front of a mirror with different elbow angles and see the results.

For smash technique, Badminton Famly has a great video that explains and demonstrates very well:

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II

If I understand you correct you ask if you follow through crossing your body (Pic 1) or let the arm drop in line with the direction you wanna hit the shuttle (Pic 2)?

Does your drawing involve the body rotation or isolated the head? For sticksmash you are closer to Pic 2 with a full power smash you are between. I find both drawings a bit too extreme. Especially pic one is awkward. Also having it in 2D is not a real help.

Take a look at this video and watch it at 0.25 speed. Should help you much. They play different types of smash, so you will discover that there is not the only one right way and that most of the time it is a mix between both of your pictures but closer to pic 2, because the shoulder also rotate, the upper body, I don't understand what is involved or not for your question and also don't know what kind of smash you mean. If you draw your shoulders and feet it could be more clear, what you mean.

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

If you put eyes on the picture then it'd be a bit clearer.

'cos in the second picture it doesn't show if you are sideways on, or if you are facing forwards, or anywhere in between. And the arm would move differently..

and there's the question of where you are facing in preparation, and where you are facing on contact with the shuttle.

And yeah generally you the guy advised right.. If your arm is swinging round then it's not as good as if your arm moves straight forward.

The arm should still finish across the body. But that is AFTER contact.

Hitting a shuttle is exactly like throwing a ball but a similarlty is where the arm finishes, and another similarity is you don't want your arm to swing across your body.

Try throwing a ball instead of hitting a shuttle. And see, is the ball going off? Are you losing momentum because your arm is moving sideways before releasing it? If so then you could ask random people to coach you how to throw a ball. Then at least you'll be moving your arm straight as long as the ball is in your hand! And maybe you can ask people at the park 'cos loads of people can throw a ball straight and without swinging their arm round, and it's easier to see where you are going wrong with an action as simple as throwing a ball. Even a random local dog walker might see where you are going wrong that causes your arm to swing round!

Looking purely at your diagram... And by the way, where to start when preparing the racket is perhaps a controversial thing as people differ.. But perhaps start with your arm more out. Maybe when your arm is super far in you are then having to bring it round But if your arm was out more So that even in preparation, the contact point is in front of your racket. Then that's a very simple way to do it. There are other fancy ways to hit it with keeping the arm tight in a lot also depends on contact point and technique.. But you could keep it simple.. have your arm and elbow and all behind the shuttle. Just like you were throwiing a ball. And when your arm comes across the body, it's AFTER contact.

The following is not so simple, and is a bit complex for your question, but with an overhead shot, anything that happens earlier, often everything that happens later. So where your feet are affects where your torso is and where your torso is affects where your arm is going to be pointing at this/that angle from the body. You can still adjust what goes on above .. But what goes on above - with your arm - can be different depending on where your torso is, where your feet are, where your contact is. So be aware that if you learn to do something else with your feet or torso, that might affect what your arm does. And that's the same with throwing a ball. For example if are front on on contact, and you throw at 90 degrees from your body, then the ball goes straight. If you turn 45 degrees, and use the same contact/release point, then your arm is going to have to be at a much tighter angle to your body, or you could keep it in with a wider contact point and some quality hitting action.. So you're talking about what you are doing with your arm, given the position your body is in on contact, and given the contact point.

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

It might surprise you but most people aren't inclined to post music videos of themselves on the internet.

They know they can, but they don't want to! Even without music! And even if they are the quality of yours! Most people don't even want to post a picture of themselves on the Internet. (apart from perhaps facebook, though I don't use facebook so I can't comment on why that is that they do it there)

8. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Lookup "narcissism" for the facebook answer :D
    Facebook: for when you want to preemptively provide details of your interesting life to those who you imagine to be interested.
    Reality: nobody regularly asks where you went or what you did recently but might show polite interest at some point.

However, videos to help with analysis is not crossing the same boundary. Mason allows us to to see warts-and-all not the carefully curated and shameless self-promoting content of a narcissist. I personally like to speed up my videos by 1.5x and add Yakety Sax - I would appreciate it immensely if Mason did the same :D:D:D

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I agree, it's useful.. Just pointing out that most wouldn't want to.. Mason is very unusual in wanting to, and might not realise quite how unusual he is in that regard, particularly in the context of when asking somebody to.

10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I agree I am very unusual. It’s very strange that I would want to get better at the sport and post videos of myself playing in order to get the community feedback. I think a more productive method would be for me to forget recording myself and just ask questions on how I can get better.

speCulatius, khoai and Cheung like this.
  11. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

I know somebody that pays a coach not to watch them play.

Cheung and amleto like this.
  12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I’m not sure if this was directed at me but where I am there are no coaches

13. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You are very unusual for posting videos of yourself, and that's not a bad thing. It's not strange that you want to improve and get feedback. I'm all for you posting your videos. But you should know that it is unusual as most people don't like to be so public on the internet. Nobody is suggesting that it'd be more productive for you to not do so.

ucantseeme likes this.