APACS Virtuoso Performance

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mark Winston, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

Have you heard of BG65 breath new life at 30lb? Yes, most of the YY string plays better at higher tension, you don't get those booming sound from BG 80 below 28lb. The strings I do not recommend any higher are AS, AB and ABB, out of durability concern. I have been experimenting hybrid stringing for quite some time, try BG80 (Main) + LN1 (cross), BG80 is rough and hard, LN1 is soft and smooth, excellent combo.

Mr B likes this.
  2. Carbonex_7

Mr B likes this.
  3. Mr B

Mr B New Member

Hey, interesting info, BG80 and LN1 are my two favourite strings so definitely gunna try this, do you string both strings at the same tension? My stringer says too bg80 need at least 28lbs but he also says yonex rackets aren't very durable to handle high tensions.
    My 3u zf2 max tension is 28lbs although I did used to string it at 30lbs, now I stick to 28 and hopefully it lasts quite a while longer. My friend says the durable yonex rackets are the astrox series, especially 88s 88d and 99. He favours the high end lining rackets.

4. Mr B

Mr B New Member

5. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

ZFii is one of the toughest rackets without being warranted for higher tensions. Some yonex rackets are butter, some are brittle, some are tough. Some high end rackets are surprisingly weak (Arcsaber 11, GlanZ). If you want a tough yonex then the DG (durable grade) and XP versions are key. e.g. Voltric 10DG or Duora 8XP. Or, buy an Apacs (or more than 1) for a fraction of the price of a yonex.

6. Carbonex_7

General practice is to add 2 lbs on crosses but I use same tension for both, reason behind i think Khun had explained before in one of thread in Stringing techniques section. I saw Yonex certified stringer did the same in Japan as well so it is a legit practice to do so. Most of my friends are moving from 27-28 to 32,33lbs now, discover new frontier of fun with hybrid high tension combo. I suggest you buy a cheap drop weight machine (Pro's Pro is reasonably cheap in UK, https://www.racquetdepot.co.uk/pros-pro-challenger-ii-stringing-machine/) to string your own, with the frequency of your play, the machine will pay back itself in 2 years, shorter time if you string your friend's one for a small fee.

ZF2 has a smaller compact size frame so 28lbs is equivalent to 30lbs on normal isometric size frame. YY can takes high tension, just have to rotate the grommets (1k pcs for 10 quid on Aliexpress) on every restring and change after 2 restrings, this is the cost to enjoy high tension play.

Most Yonex rackets are brittle as glass but feel good to play, avoid Nanoflare, Duora minus DG, xx-FB at all cost. Too many carcasses can be found inside rubbish bin. VTZF and Astrox (the brutal series of YY) happen to have better built body to last longer.

#366 Carbonex_7, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Mr B and DuckFeet like this.
  7. Mr B

Mr B New Member

Hey mate, some interesting food for thought there! Definitely gunna try out this combo, I'll stick to 28 on my zf2 but I wouldn't mind going up to 30lb on my AVP.

It's actually really cheap for me to get my rackets restrung because I live in Malaysia. Although, aerobite isn't so cheap. But if I go with LN1 it's only a fiver to get strung, aerobite is almost double that.. But it definitely would benefit me to string my own rackets. It's never really crossed my mind because I thought the machines costs £thousands...

Any simple explanation as to why these stringers string the main string slightly higher?

8. Carbonex_7

Crosses are normally strung higher not the mains, it is a way to balance the tension for mains and crosses because the crosses will push the mains up and down a little bit and increase the tension of mains tension, so generally we add 2lbs to offset that. I don't know if anyone string the mains higher as over stressing the main will make the frame looks rounder instead of isometric oval shape.

You don't need an electric stringing machine if you only do it for yourself and some friends, drop weight is accurate, the only downside is slow. Commercially use electronics stringing machine will cost you a fortune, but a table top 6 clamps machine with a WISE 2086 will do the job as good as the commercial machine with a fraction of the price. You can upgrade the Pro's pro drop weight machine with electric tension head WISE 2086 (about 530 pounds).

#368 Carbonex_7, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  9. Mr B

Mr B New Member

Interesting, how long does it take you to string using this old school manual machine?

10. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Is it true that AVP With 26-30lbs max tension is the fake one?

11. PugGuy

PugGuy Regular Member

Why would you think so?
    I used to string my AVP at 28lbs and no problemo at all. A lot of Apacs range can handle high tensions.

12. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

I don't think Apacs have fake.. if people to copy all top tier brand high end model then it make sense.

However apacs is in budget friendly bracket..

Mr B likes this.
  13. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

Sorry for my bad english,i didnt mean it that way
    Theres 2 version of AVP available in the market,one with max tension 26-30 lbs on the shaft and the other one with max tension 38 lbs
    Official specs from apacs is 38lbs for AVP
    So whats your thought about this?

14. Mr B

Mr B New Member

I've never heard or seen fake apacs rackets and I live in Malaysia... My stringer doesn't recommend stringing over 30lbs though. Even though apacs say max tension is 38lb. My friend says that can't handle that high tension..

15. Tantrum

Tantrum Regular Member

I've tried stringing up to 33lbs and it's fine. Going to try 35lbs next

16. Budi

Budi Regular Member

might be marketing strategy. Basically all pros use tension higher than what it said on the spec & not to mention they are physically well trained person which mean stronger punch yet all their used racket survive. For us, if we string over the limit, it void the warranty but it will survive (age is different story).

So maybe Apacs take the risk claiming stronger frame to hold high tension. But with its cheap price, how many of us would be willing to claim the warranty with all the long wait, or complicated task, or time consuming task with all our busy time. Most of us might just let it go & buy another one as its cheaper than wasting our time & effort.

17. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

For sure the original grommets of the AVP won't like 38 Lbs ;)

18. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

I dont mean to string it to 30++ lbs tho,my point here is the one that written 26-30 lbs is said to be the fake one and the other one that written is 38 lbs is the real one.
    So im asking is it true or not

19. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

There won't be a fake one, there's different colours/specs of the AVP depending on where and when purchased.

Apacs are too cheap for someone to bother making fakes

20. Carbonex_7

An hour plus if you are new, less than 40 mins once you get use to it. It would be faster if you pre-weave the racket like most of the shops do.