Mohd Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Licin, Aug 31, 2012.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

is it? hmm..... please don't pile on the pressure. well, there are still 7 months to go, where players form and physical status could change anytime.

for the time being, just enjoy their matches. i doubt i'd be following many games on BWF after their retirement.

2. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Yeah...I just hope there wouldn't be any injury anymore prior to the olympics, I want them to take the gold so badly...ahsan really deserve it :(

3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Hendra is so relaxed when he wins titles, like its nothing lol.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah it used to be one of his weaknesses, especially around the net. Watch the 2011 WC match vs Ko/Yoo for what I mean, especially in the service situation he used to be very awkward when the shuttle wasnt coming at him fast (when he was at the net). Very versatile today, and he really had to transform his game as his body seems to start giving out on him and he can no longer rely on his speed as much as he used to.
    Props to him for that, most players really struggle or dont manage at all to change and adapt their game (TBH/KKK being a popular example, once they couldnt sustain their all-out aggression anymore they really fell off). Fu Haifeng did the same, but I'd say he probably changed his game less than Ahsan did. He lessened his focus on back court play and didnt actively try to get there as much (already visible in 2012, but much more so after 2013), whereas Ahsan doesnt seem to prefer any part of the court anymore these days (unless he's so injured he cant move, really, and tries to get to the front).
    I wouldnt say hes quite as good as Hendra at the softer, tactical stuff, but that isn't a criticism. Hendra is probably the best in the world at it rn.

samhuda, rhoder, lodoss and 3 others like this.
  5. Thunder Hand

Thunder Hand Regular Member

If only gideon can improve on that too...

6. wade

wade Regular Member

So it seems like they would be back to the national team next year

[​IMG]

7. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Definitely one of the biggest advantages this pair has is their all round competency. While you can limit the offensive effectiveness of other pairs by forcing them into their non-preferred formation, Ahsan and Hendra can be effective no matter where they are in the court. It also helps them save energy since they can rotate with each other to take the back court duties without conceding an advantage to the opponents.

Biglever and wade like this.
  8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

is FlandyLimpele the oldest Badminton Olympian from INA? He is 4th though in Beijing08 so probably not the oldest INA medallist.

Hendra will surely beat that record.

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

By far, the best MD player in the world right now. Devastating smasher from the rear court and his blitz attacks are so lethal.

Excellent serve too m

Biglever likes this.
  10. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

His flick serve are very hard to read, he deceive the opponent so many times.

Biglever likes this.
  11. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    It's incredible to see them attacking no matter what the formation is, isn't it? Imo, Hendra's back-court skills are better than Kevin. Even though he lacks the power of his partner, his smash angle and placement are fantastic.

Play hard. Train harder.

12. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

To be honest, Ahsan at front makes Hendra more lethal at the back. Gideon in poor form at front is a bit of passenger for Kevin.

Ahsan is so clever in the fore court.

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Of course , normal pairs cant do this.. I dont know Gideon at 30+ will still be as speedy as Ahsan..

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Marcus is not even speedy anymore since last year.. and he is only 28 this year.

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah i would say he is 29. All in all, everyone will go downhill, its just matter of time. Its all about the number of titles you win when you are at the top and Gideon actually has more SS than Hendra? I wonder how many SS Hendra won prior to the SS.

16. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

It’s not imo haha, it’s a fact. People do not fear Kevin at the back, but Setiawan still gives them up plenty to worry about. But what Nine tailed fox says is true, Ahsan’s front court play makes Setiawan more threatening at the back too. Gideon only plays block shots/net shots at the front, he never intercepts shots for the kill, so Kevin for all his variety can rarely lead to winning plays from the back.

#956 rhoder, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  17. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

In terms of skills and variation from the back I don't think kevin is that far behind hendra, the problem is he's too lazy most of the time...but when he's actually injecting the pace from the back and use his variation he's actually pretty deadly. I remember in the game against yuta/endo (despite their lost) he hit like 6 or 7 winners from the back with his dropshot.

18. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

o_O aiyo, you again playing the numerical game, without considering the significant of the titles.
    well, if you are happy with your thinking, so be it. ;)

rhoder and Baddie lover like this.
  19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Nah i think they have same number of titles.. I just watched the Final and its 31st Final of AhsanHendra together said Gill(even with many losses).. what more added with Kido ..

So if its equal with a little more prestigious titles, than you know whos better.

20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

nope, Hendra won less SS/WT titles than Gideon, but he has more prestigious titles, which is beyond dispute.

Gideon still has a few more years at his peak to win a Big one (or more), so yeah, as a minion fan, keep on cheering for them. personally i think Kevin will end up more successful and he has a higher chance of matching Hendra in achievement, given his age and talent.

what will it take for Gideon to be consider more successful than Hendra, that i cannot dictate.
    if one day, BWF or some big shots (eg Morten, Herry Pierngadi, Park Joo-bong) or surveys carried out by renowned sports media, claim Gideon is better, so be it. it will not diminished my support for Hendra.

so with this comment, you did admit Hendra is better now?

lastly, if you wish to carry on debating this, please post at Minions thread. somehow i just feel you are uneasy over people celebrating the Daddies success this year (winning their 3rd WC and a zero lost in WC as a pair), even though the Minions is WR1 again and has beaten the Daddies in all the finals they met.

Biglever likes this.