Upgrade from Astrox 77 (Yonex Only)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nozomi Okuhara, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Nozomi Okuhara

Nozomi Okuhara New Member

Been playing with an Astrox 77 3U G4 for a while now. I'm a singles oriented player who is tired playing with head-heavys now, and wanted on the head-light to even balanced racket. Any recommendations to choose from which series Yonex provided and specific racket? I've been looking at the Nanoflare 800 though would it be a good singles oriented racket? Or would that defeat the purpose for me playing singles? Should I just face it using head heavy rackets like the Astrox 99 as a upgrade and as a "new duplicate racket"?

#1 Nozomi Okuhara, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    samhuda likes this.
  2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

You could totally play with the NF800 in singles. Kenta Nishimoto is supposedly (could be a paintjob) using that racket and other pro singles players are too. Some singles top 10 players use neutral balanced rackets including V. Axelsen or Chou Tien Chen (world #2).

Why are you tired playing head heavy rackets? Doesn't suit your game? You want to compensate one aspect of your game? Physical issues? Level of play? Budget? Play tournaments seriously? (Got to consider the fact you need 2 identical rackets)

3. Nozomi Okuhara

I felt I wanted to try a different aspect of my game, maybe a new playstyle I want to try. I've always been a hard hitter for a long time, my arm feels sore playing for head-heavys for a while now. At the same time I want to have maybe another 77 or possibly the Astrox 99 to play in future tournaments and just deal with it. Possibly these are the ones I would get..

Arcsaber 10/11 (Downside is the max tension at 24.. :( )
    Astrox 99
    Nanoflare 800
    Duora 10
    Mizuno Altius 01 Feel (Even Balanced and Made in Japan, might get it from e78)

Has anyone tried these rackets? Let me know which racket is suited best for all round player, which I hopefully will try to enhance my game.

#3 Nozomi Okuhara, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  4. laistrogian

laistrogian Regular Member

Student
    Astrox 99 / 88D at 4U is probably going to be a pretty easy racket to use for singles.

Bear in mind though that astrox 77 is a medium shaft and yonex stiff shaft is pretty damn stiff.

Arcsaber 11 probably would take 26 lbs just fine.

Honestly if you're able to i'd try other people's racket first because you never know if what you need is a head heavy 4U or even balanced 3U, given you get sore arm with head heavy 3U

Cheung and LenaicM like this.
  5. Sainttoo

Sainttoo Regular Member

nanoflare800 3u would be perfectly fine in singles. If you consider trying 4u, you may try astrox 99 4u maybe. There is no point to destroy your arm with 3u version of 99 since you are already tired with 77. Also, you may try 88s which is great racket as well.

LenaicM likes this.
  6. steven8991

steven8991 Regular Member

From that list, Duora 10 is the best all around racket.
    I have got it myself and really love it so far.

LenaicM likes this.
  7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO you shouldn't change two attributes at the same time. Going from Headheavy to even and going the same time from midflex to stiff can case some trouble for you. IMO any change in style of play doen't require a new racket. Maybe in doubles a lighter head can be supportive, but in singles, I don't see it that way.

Leave pros alone and what they play, can play in which discipline etc. They are pros because of superb technique, intense training and decent medical treatment and many other abilities we can just dream of. Most pro players are younger than us and started earlier to play than us. I'm really against this "Sure you can, because XY does, too". I'm pretty sure that Kenta Nishimoto can hit cross court clears the whole day with a Nanoflare 800, but who of us can that? I hope anybody finally get what I want to tell...

I can't recommend ARC11 and Duora10. Don't get me wrong, both good rackets, but they had sinking issues. I had a sinking ARC11 at 23lbs from a customer. You should never see something like this when you buy a high end. Have you thought of trying AX77 4U? A stiff shaft and less head weight needs much more explosiveness to make it work. Atm you use something very forgiving. I wouldn't recommend to look for something stiff when you want to reduce head weight.

#7 ucantseeme, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  8. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Vote for Nanoflare 800!

Nanoflare ist stiff and not really headlight, more medium balanced. Balanced point is near from Astrox77 (slightly headheavy). I have both here and the Nanoflare is the better racket.

Alternatively I see the Astrox 88S (stiff) or even Duora Z-Strike (extra stiff). I dont love the Duora10. Arcsaber 11 has few weaknesses, but also no particular strengths. A nice neutral racket.

The best thing would be to try out the rackets.

9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Astrox 99 is so heavy, I bought it and tried to use it but I have to sell it after 1 month. Surprisingly, when I go to the shop (the boss of the shop who is buyer and seller also), I see many players selling their Astrox 99 like me. ^-^

About nanoflare 800, my idol player in my country, Nguyen Tien Minh, has a very good review about it. I don't know how to express (interpret) but I think he gave it 10/10 stars.

You should try nanoflare 800 if money is not a problem.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I tried this. The shaft bends a lot.

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Are you OP who likes his 3U AX77, but want less head weight? ;) Or are you Super Cheung the ZFII user.

#11 ucantseeme, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  12. Nozomi Okuhara

Then what are some forgiving rackets that you would recommend? I have played with stiff rackets such as the 88S 4U and the Nanoray Z Speed 3U from friends, I don't think I will have a hard time dealing with stiff rackets.

13. boby

boby Regular Member

Play doubles would be better for your arm. :)

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    How much? 1 game, a whole night, a week? Does your friends use a lower tension than you? I guess that you bought the AX77 because the specs fit your requirements better than any other Yonex racket at this time in the market. Maybe I'm wrong and you bought it just because of other reasons.
    I played a decade with Victor, now I play with Li-Ning. I had a small Intermezzo with Duo-ZS. I'm not too familiar with all Yonex and said something to all I know from your list. BTW I demoed the AX88S 4U as well and didn't found it stiff.

As said above I didn't see that buying a new racket is necessary to experiment with the style of play. Where in MS does your current racket lack and hold you back to change the style of play? I don't understand this.

LenaicM likes this.
  15. Nozomi Okuhara

You have a point. My current racket lacks in speed of defending and me using too much of my power on smashes. Since it's head heavy, I tire myself hitting too much. Or either I just need to stop using too much power on smashes.

16. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Changing your racquet will not induce a change in your play style. Changing your play style requires you making a conscious effort to choose different shots to play. If you're used to smashing no matter what, you'll still be trying to smash with a new racquet. The only difference would be you'll find something wrong with the new racquet (too light/heavy, too flexible/stiff), coz it's not the same as the one you're using now.

ucantseeme likes this.
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    For speed of defending, look at technique more than the racquet

LenaicM and ucantseeme like this.
  18. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Did you decide to keep your Ax77? There is a new one coming now :D