Best Yonex thin string with the best tension retention and durability

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by superdan12, Feb 5, 2020.

1. superdan12

superdan12 Regular Member

I'm looking for a thin gauge string, specifically 0.65-0.66mm that has the best tension retention. Durability is pretty important too. Yonex is the heavily preferred brand, but I don't mind other brands as long it's so much better than Yonex's options that it can't go ignored.

2. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Li ning number 1.

3. superdan12

that one is definitely the top non-yonex i've been eyeing, but I hear it's real gauge is actually 0.68mm unlike it's product description. I'm trying to look for one that has better aerodynamic qualities than a bg80, does li ning no.1 give you a faster swing than a bg80?

4. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

I dont know about a faster swing but it does play harder than say ultimax, for me it plays similar to bg80 power, no idea about the gauge though tbh

5. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

Strung gauge of LN1 is slightly thicker than BG66UM, so 0.68mm would be about right. In terms of aerodynamics, strings have little to no impact on swing speed. I don't know where you heard this from.

Just a warning on LN1, it needs a few sessions to settle in before it plays well. When I first tried it, I hated it and cut them immediately. I gave it a second chance and now it's my favourite string.

dsmbooster likes this.
  6. laistrogian

laistrogian Regular Member

Student
    I’m not sure about the string gauge of no.1 but the string feels thin and cut-ty

no.1 does need some sessions because otherwise it feels really harsh.

as for yonex, i generally quite like bg66 (non UM) as it’s pretty soft and repulsive

7. Tec07

Tec07 Regular Member

Is 66 non im still available? I tried it once and loved it but couldnt find it again (unless i just didnt look hard enough :/ ) so i tried ultimax and although liked it i never thought i enjoyed it as much as that one set of non ultimax! I dont even know how different they are ould just be in my head!

8. laistrogian

laistrogian Regular Member

Student
    they are sold mostly in SE asia market and perhaps the most popular string in Indonesia.

in australia, you can buy them from calibre idk if they would ship internationally

Tec07 likes this.
  9. Hullabaloo

Hullabaloo Regular Member

10. superdan12

ime string thickness absolutely changes the aerodynamics of the racket. It's why stringless rackets swing so bloody fast. I've been having 0.70mm and 0.68mm strings on 2 of the same rackets with same weight, head heaviness, and grip, and I definitely feel more drag with the 0.70.

11. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

Good point to consider..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. michael5098

Yes if you are comparing a racket with no strings to a strung racket that would be very noticeable since there's a 5-6g difference. But the difference between a 0.68 and 0.70 is so small.

If we assume both strings have the same density, there is only a 5.63% weight difference between a 0.68 and 0.70 string. The total mass is calculated as mass=density*π*length*radius^2. Assuming density is a constant and length is 10m, the mass of 0.68 string is 3631.68 and 0.70 sting is 3848.45. Thus (1-3631.7/3848.4)*100=5.63%. So let's say the thickest string at most will weigh 6g, there is only a 0.338g difference.

In terms of aerodynamics, the only factor that that could possibly impact is the coating of the string which has nothing to do with string thickness.

#12 michael5098, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Arcfb_ind likes this.
  13. superdan12

The string is bg 65 and 80, so yeah it's possibly the resin. A very resinous string vs possibly the least resinous string on the market. Measurement-wise, at around 28 lbs my BG65 was around 4g and BG80 was 3g, but it's a blunt kitchen scale that doesn't measure out to decimals, so the difference can be less or more than 1g. But numbers aside, the swing is noticeably different, even if we take into account that BG65 has crappy repulsion that forces you to swing harder to begin with.

michael5098 likes this.
  14. michael5098

You bring up a really good point that I didn't even consider- string tension and repulsion. I can totally see how these would affect the way one would swing hence a change in speed.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

GT5 and ZM62F

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

16. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

Yonex BG85, it's 0.67 string. Good tension retaining and repulsion.

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk