I struggle with returning deception shots (singles)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Feb 9, 2020.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I know what you're thinking...

That's the point. It's why they do it.

But it's like when I expect them to do a clear and they do a cross court drop. My feet freeze. Even though I need to (and probably could) reach the shuttle (albeit late/weak return) it's like I just freeze in my tracks and watch it fall.

Is this a psychological thing? Or just something I haven't trained for? When I do blind net drills I can actually do pretty well so I'm confused as to why in a real game I am not able to perform at near the same level.

Any info on how I could improve this particular weakness would be most appreciated.

buibui2 likes this.
  2. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Usually when getting caught by deception there are three things that you can work on
    - better split step
    - do not over anticipate
    - do not give opponent the opportunity to do deception ie your shots a kind of too neutral

dnewguy, buibui2 and Cheung like this.
  3. LiteBulb

LiteBulb Regular Member

Relax and do not tense up.

I biased my stance to move back but am prepared to move front. Dont really know how to explain. Its like, be ready to move back but also be prepared to move front.

dnewguy, buibui2 and Cheung like this.
  4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Both of these answers helped a lot.

For example, I begin to play on the line in doubles when receiving a serve. At first (and still now) if they flick my return is weaker than normal. But when they play a standard low serve, I don't commit all the way with a well placed return or a a fast flat drive. I think it's a mental thing I need to get over.

5. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Here a simple one: look at the shuttle (and only the shuttle!).

Seriously, if you don't actively train to do it, you'll watch your opponent's body, their racquet, as well as the shuttle, and you'll be easily deceived.

Why do pro's not get tricked as much by deception? Because they don't even look at the fancy/extra movement! And yet, every now and then, the pro's still get deceived - that just shows how even with so much training, it's hard not to look at your opponent's racquet!

It will help you if you do this in a dedicated drill. Get a training partner and tell him he can hit any shot he wants from a back corner (but not to make it too hard), and you have to lift/clear it back to him every time. Ideally get someone who has a compact/deceptive movement, but perhaps you struggle with anyone when they have that many options. If you struggle too much, limit it to drops and clears, if you find it too easy, allow them to smash/punch clear and/or lift/clear to the doubles rear line or closer to add pressure to you.

#5 DarkHiatus, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    s_mair and Cheung like this.
  6. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    This mostly comes down to footwork training. If your feet is in the wrong position, you will freeze because your momentum has shifted or your body is in a bad position to generate power in the direction of the bird. It's kind of hard to explain over text but there's an ideal footwork to reach each corner of the court

Simeon, Coolkas and Cheung like this.
  7. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Will incorporate this ASAP. Need to work on this and also only moving when they've hit the bird.

Yeah :) As usual, more footwork training is the key :)

8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I've mentioned this a few times and basically it comes down to reducing the amount of time your opponent has to hit a shot. Deception is only possible when your opponent has time, so that they can prepare for multiple shots without you being able to anticipate specifically which one. Some examples, a flatter clear, a faster drop shot, a steeper smash. Usually during your improvement in the game you'll start beating people at your level, then you start playing better players and suddenly lose really hard to them when they seem to barely try. That's when you have to mentally start changing your shot selection to play faster to give them less time.

dnewguy, precrime3 and Cheung like this.
  9. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I can't remember the source, but i saw a video about picking the corner that you think they will hit to, then readying yourself/expecting the shot in the two adjacent corners. I remember at the time it seemed to help.
    Ive got a lot slower and stopped playing singles since then!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Simeon likes this.
  10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

1st dont try to much read & predict your opponent shot but be ready for whatever shot your opponent might play faster. Predicting is good but to much prediction is bad & it only apply to lower level as their shot choice is kinda simple. Having good footwork will help you recover fast & get ready faster.

2nd, some people especially casual player like me who learn from experience & others advice have heavy foot. I mean its not agile & explosive movement but rather long delay. & also you need a strong will to move faster. I know it sound like super hero movie, strong will, justice, & all:p. But i feel it when i play in an unussual very hot weather. I know where the shuttle will land, my mind say "go get there" but my foot say "nope, im fine here. Go there yourself":confused:. So i just freeze in place.

You might want to check this.
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...inton-specific-exercises-and-workouts.180505/
    It had some good video training to makes your foot light & agile.

11. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Neat mental trick, won't help if they pick that 4th corner but this should help improve my return rate a bit.

For sure. If you give them more time and a weaker return it gives them enough time to get into position and do what they please. Working on better technicals and using your brain when playing should help with this - as well as just overall improving.

Will check this out, thanks!

12. Obito

Obito Regular Member

One small useful tip I got from my coach is that strong abs [core] playing an important role in this situation. Try to ask your partner or a coach to feed you shuttle randomly by hand. You will learn how to pull yourself back to go get a deception shot. Also, focus on the shuttle not the racket.

13. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Feed me shuttles in what way? Can you describe this more?

14. Obito

Obito Regular Member

1. have your partner standing on the other side close to the net holding like 20 shuttles
    2. you standing on the left or right court in the middle (use only one side)
    3. there gonna be 4 places that your partner could throw forehand and backhand at the net ( you need to lift it to the back first in this drill) and forehand and overhead at mid-rear court (this you need to clear to the back)
    4. have your partner throwing the shuttle randomly to each corner one after you hit continually
    5. the tricky part is that you can have your partner pretending that he was gonna throw to forehand at the net then suddenly pull back and throw it to the overhead mid court because your eyes will be following his hand meanwhile your body will get ready to move

Here are some of the example but this one is a harder

in this video he trained without his racket , but I want you to focus on the feeder how he tricked Zheng Siwei that what you should expect your partner to do so

Hannibal127 likes this.
  15. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello,

I don't have much to add to all the things mentioned above.
    And I don't know your gameplay, but i have always tried to move towards the shuttle even after I get deceived, doesn't matter if the shuttle has already crossed the net.
    I have 3 reasons for doing it :-

1) It gives me important feedback as to how close I managed to come to actually lifting the shuttle, so I shift my base accordingly (I hv good speed). And sometimes I actually surprise myself when im able to save the rally to even return a tumbling net shot.

2) If you manage to even touch the shuttleor push it into the net, then it will force your opponent to move to the net and he will be more conscious of doing the same shot next time.

3) I admire Hans Vittinghus. :p

Cheers.

16. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Your game mostly depends on your muscle memory-natural instincts.

Time your split step-train yourself not to shift your weight till you are certain about where shuttle is going. Also u do not want to delay ur start too much.

And remember attack is the best defense. Opponent can play deception only when he has too much time in hand. If your shots are good, if you manage to push him to the corners, he will be forced to play those shots to stay in the rally.

Change your pace-so that your opponent does not set in to a comfortable rhythm. Still, once in a while, he might have a winner by deception which is OK-forget and move on.

DarkHiatus likes this.