Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

It’s interesting you noticed this because I rewatched that singles game and I definitely see what you’re saying. I did however notice that I was getting to the shuttle faster and I was getting behind the shuttle but I wasn’t really loading my right leg properly right before my stroke.

2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Getting a good contact is about the timing of the stroke - still preparing early, it can be practised when the shuttle is fed to near where you are and you don't even need much footwork to practise timing of the stroke (+ not unintentionally slicing it, is good, but that's down to where the racket face is facing rather than timing!).

#1002 ralphz, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

My shots from yesterday

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

watching from 2:08-2:11 you jump up, all looks beautiful then you kind of do the spits in the air for a moment.. that's not normal technique..

your very next shot where you are returning serve, you are leaning back as you go back and are totally off balance and end up possibly off the court.

you can do specific practises of return of flick serves

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You have some pretty good movent in the first part of the video with the practice. We can really see you make the effort to place the left foot back properly landing first and you get a nice scissor kick, right leg switches forward with knee up and good hip movement. All good for the kinetic chain. Congratulations on that! Really nice.

Problem areas are when moving backwards slightly to the forehand side and keeping the same scissor kick. It's a bit harder to manage. If the shuttle is too far away to the right, then of course, you won't be able to do the scissor kick as the sidestep out jump is better in that situation.

Another difficulty is the scissor kick movement has not found it's way into your games. To train this, what we do is find some slightly weaker players to play with and practice that scissor kick movement against them. The slower pace allows you to think about your movements and apply them to the game situation. Gradually, you will find yourself thinking less and less but still executing the same correct lower body movements.

Mason likes this.
  6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I’ll keep working on this !!

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

i'm impressed that you attempt a jump smash e.g. 2:19 and that the very beginning of it doesn't look bad.. a jump smash is quite an advanced thing to do.. But if you want to practise your scissor kick, it will be far easier for you to skip trying jump smashes, and try doing the scissor kick not jumping high off the ground.

Also what is this ping pong going on 3:27-3:33

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Huh ? I was just hitting it back but not being very aggressive. I won the point btw

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Shots during that timeframe didn't look like competitive badminton! And it's not necessarily about being aggressive or not. Sometimes it's about hitting it where the opponent isn't, and making them move, or making it awkward for them. And maybe hitting it sharper, rather than what is sometimes called "to me, to you" badminton. Maybe tapping it to the net, even a bit towards the centre and to the net, then you taking the net/front, causing them to lift it and going into attack, so they lift it to your partner that will have moved to the back.

Also, if you win the point it doesn't necessarily mean you did something really good, You can get away with bad shots if your opponent is bad or if your opponent is unable to take advantage of a poor shot from the other side.

Sometimes I play with a guy that makes a big celebration when he wins the point, despite that he actually did a bad shot to an even worse opponent. Or he does a bad shot, they win the point, and he starts clapping his opponent about how great the opponents shot was, actually his opponent just took advantage of his bad shot. Or, his opponent beats him with a shot, and he gets frustrated with himself wondering what on earth he did wrong, when actually he didn't have much of a chance with it, it was the shot he did before that put him in difficulty.

#1009 ralphz, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok you should post some clips of yourself playing drives in a game to show me what I am missing

11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

As I said, most people don't post videos of themselves publicly, I don't. If you want to believe I can't play drives then fine, i'm not interested in giving up privacy to prove to you that I can do drives, that seems ridiculous to me.

You and postcrime are almost the only 2 on the forum that have posted videos of yourselves publicly.

But that doesn't mean that those that don't post videos of themselves doing drives can't do sharp drives and in a way that makes it awkward for their opponents. Drives aren't rocket science.. I can probably find clips of you doing drives better than you did there.

A while back you had some training on drives. If you try to incorporate that in your game, the shots would be better there. If you keep seeing your coach you'll be practising drives a lot and will be very good.

Also, as I said, you don't have to do drives there, you could tap it to the net and go into attack. But if you wanted to do drives you have the skills already. It's also where you hit them to too. It's just a question of you being aware that the shots you were doing there were a bit weak and you could step up to what you've shown you can do.

12. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok

13. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Wear a disguise?

:D Somebody had to say it.

Mason likes this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

And also youtube software has an option to blur faces during processing and finalizing the video.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Mason likes this.
  15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

:D

#1015 Mason, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  16. rulebavaria

rulebavaria Regular Member

I find drives quite hard to master. In the sequence mentionned by ralphz the technique does look a bit poor and the tactical benefits of hitting it back to the front court player again and again is dubious.

To be more precise concerning the technique:

the feet position is wrong, they should be parallel
    the grip is wrong it should be either a thumbs grip for backhand drives or a panhandle grip for forehand drives
    the stroke should be done using almost only the fingers, you tend to swing wildly using your whole arm

But Thomas Laybourn explains it much better here:

His example is with a backhand thumbs grip, but it doesn't have to be.

ralphz, Mason and LenaicM like this.
  17. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

18. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Yeah it certainly stood out

There are some clubs with a lot of beginners orbeginner-level players, but not too many, so a mix of level of players often happens, particularly with somebody good at organising the games, and somebody on court will know that's a "poor sequence", and call it out, e.g. "what are you doing? playing ping pong with her?" is a line i'd hear sometimes when somebody tried that with a girl, (often that's enough for them to see that sequence doesn't look right), or if the opponent isn't female then i'm not sure what they'd say.. but a competitive partner that spots that (and they would if they have any experience at all), would often react in the moment to that, in some way, maybe with a bit of humour, maybe without, and the beginners with the least ego, or no ego at all, and some other traits, often improve the most.

#1018 ralphz, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well I finally felt like I played good and the training is paying off. I was much more relaxed throughout the whole night especially on my overhead shots. I was moving around the court faster and smoother and getting more so behind the shuttle. I was also felt like I improved on my drives and defense too. Along with that I had almost all very competitive games. I was very happy with how tonight’s games went !

20. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Looks like a lot of fun, whack whack whack.

There are some effective shots any coach would advise, that are just 101, that you could add to your repertoire that aren't as much fun but could win more points, particularly with your partner as a team, setting them up for a winner, tapping it to the net when at the front (which very few people at your club do), and making your opponents do a weak lift giving your partner a gift, assuming your partner can smash(which they often can, eg you can clearly smash and many others there can). It might not be as much fun though. It is like being an assassin compared to being rambo. Even in some "intermediate only" clubs, most aren't that good at those kind of delicate shots at the net, but they are not that hard, they don't require incredible coordination but they do require composure.

A tight block to the net, or net shot. The closest thing is at 2:57 the girl does the most delicate shot in the video, the right idea. Racket motion could've been smaller and it could have been much tighter, so wasn't that delicate. The opponents were forced to lift it and you smashed it. And incase you ask, I imagine you don't ..need an example of what tapping the shuttle to the net when at the front, eg a net shot looks like, you can find many on youtube, though I give a ref there 2:57. Though bear in mind that if you get good at the front they start avoiding you at the front..

But what are you going to do if you become too good for that club and they get scared to hit to you and you end up feeling like you may as well walk off the court because you aren't getting to do anything? At some clubs if one player is WAY better than all the others, they end up teamed up with the worst player, and then it's a different game.

Also, where did you learn the jump smash? It takes a lot of coordination to do that.. was it any poster here that advised on it? or something from that jonathan swift guy? or did you come up with it totally yourself just watching pros do it? When on your journey did you begin jump smashes? Did you just naturally do that from the start?! And this is not an insult or even a criticism, I am impressed with the coordination in your jump smash.

#1020 ralphz, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020