Tokyo 2020

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by kurako, Jan 31, 2019.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Yep, Prime Minister Abe, Tokyo Governor Koike, and Olympic Minister Hashimoto, all took their turn in front of the cameras this evening, and verified, 1) that the Olympics would not be cancelled, and 2) that the Games would be held no later than summer 2021. Simultaneously, the holding of the event this year was ruled out, so we are talking about spring or summer 2021.

According to Koike, the name "Tokyo 2020" will continue to be used, irrespective of the timing of the Games.

CLELY likes this.
  2. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Nailed it!

No point spending another small fortune on rebranding the games as Tokyo 2021, just delaying by a year is fine. I feel for the people who have organised events for 2021 and will now have to shuffle their plans around. Hopefully the new date will be agreed soon so people can plan when they get back to normal.

I doubt we will see any events added to the calendar in 2020, especially something as big as a world championships. Anything pre-arranged will probably go ahead later in the year but travel/movement will still be a cautious affair. I also expect BWF to extend the qualification period once the olympics date is known because it is feasible that many tournaments will go ahead as planned.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games Postponed
    Tuesday, March 24, 2020
    TEXT BY BWF STAFF
    https://olympics.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2020/03/24/tokyo-2020-olympic-games-postponed/

The International Olympic Committee (IOC), Tokyo Organising Committee and Japan Government today confirmed that the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games have been postponed due to the COVID-19 situation.

IOC President Thomas Bach and Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe confirmed the decision after conference call among leaders on Tuesday.

A joint IOC-Tokyo Organising Committee statement said the Games would be moved to next year.

“In the present circumstances and based on the information provided by the World Health Organization, the IOC President and the Prime Minister of Japan have concluded that the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo must be rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021, to safeguard the health of the athletes, everybody involved in the Olympic Games and the international community.

Prime Minister Abe told media outside his residence: “I proposed postponing the Games for around a year. President Bach said he agreed 100 per cent.

“Given the situation of the pandemic we agreed it would be difficult to hold the Games inside (this) year which is why we decided to postpone for around a year,” he said.

The joint statement confirmed the Olympic flame would stay in Japan as a “beacon of hope to the world during these troubled times” and that the event name would remain as the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

________

*A new schedule will be around July/August 2021?
    *The big question is looming about Race of Tokyo 2020 fate, will it be extended or sticking as planned, 26th April 2020?

5. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

difficult question.
    the covid pandemic has forced the cancellation of many tournaments that are before 26-April, crushing the hopes of many who are fighting for points. for them, extending will be preferred.
    on the other side, those who have secured their places, will want to be in Tokyo, irrespective of their ranking from now till the Olympics begin.

my suggestions...
    1. BWF can determined who has secured the places (based on the points lead over the next-to-last qualifer), and the rest will still be up for grab.
    2. BWF can use only those 2021 tournaments that are cancelled this year to award qualifying points.

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

that is, if the Olympic is held after May/June 2021. What if its held in February2021?

Though overall, the qualifying will end now. From what i see in MD, it will not change anything. though there will be some battle for single spot like the Dane pairs. the top 8 is already decided. They were given 12 months, 9 months into it, if they are not good enough then probably it is what it is.

7. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

ya, IOC need to set a date so that everyone involved can prepared. it will most likely be the same month next year, i think. many sporting events will need to shift to accommodate the Olympics, which can be done.

just hope that the pandemic will have cease in another 3-4 months.

the players just need to keep themselves safe and healthy for the time being.

Baddie lover and Cheung like this.
  8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's Summer OG, impossible to be held on winter, February.

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

nothing is impossible :)

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Assuming Tokyo Olympics will be held in July/August 2021, I think qualification period should be as follows:

1. Mid-Dec 2019 to mid-March 2020.

2. Sept 2020 to May 2021

#230 pcll99, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

12. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Postponing Olympics is seen as second chance to some of the players who lost their chances.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why should it change? Just continue where they left off.. the suspended tournaments.
    After all, it's still Tokyo 2020.

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

i assume typo error in your suggested schedule...

1. Mid-Dec 2020 to Mid-March 2021
    2. Sep 2020 to May 2021

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If tournament cannot be held in Sept or Oct 2020, I believe Tokyo Olympics might need to be cancelled.

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes... thanks!!

17. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

wait till BWF work this out. we can only speculate here.

18. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

nope, IOC say it is postpone till Summer 2021.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I mean if badminton tournaments cannot be held in Sept/Oct 2020, I believe the whole Tokyo Olympics should not be held in 2021--it should be cancelled, not just postponed.

20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Olympics wouldn't be cancel for badminton. In fact badminton is consider a minor event, compare to swimming, track and field, and gymnastic.