What is the Covid-19 situation like in your country? (Badminton related only)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, Mar 13, 2020.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I can only guess the shuttle is to be manufactured in China and with the current situation, some factories have only started to get back to work. Won't happen anytime soon.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The HK team that travelled to England are in isolation after coming back from UK.

The rest of the team that didn't travel are still training. They are separated from the rest of the world. No assistant coaches are allowed into the training institute.

3. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

I am still playing here in Vietnam. And no worries about shuttlecocks since they are mainly manufactured locally.

Cheung likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

still playing here in Indo. Tho yesterday only 6 coming to play.
    But the city is kinda feel like dead city. So little number of cars/motor seen in the street.

But whatever it is keep healthy guys. Dont push urself to play over work that makes you end up sick. Just good sport & little fun is ok to maintain our fitness & health.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You do know that it's not too much sport or stress that gets you sick but the actual virus? :rolleyes:

Pagz likes this.
  6. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

Yeah, i don't really get the mentality of the people still playing. So you would rather risk getting yourself and many more people infected with a potentially deadly virus than to stop playing badminton for a few weeks?

thyrif and s_mair like this.
  7. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Some people here are also saying "Well, I'm not so worried for myself." Some even saying "My wife works in healthcare so I'm bound to get it anyway" and still go to crowded places. Wake up people, it's not about you, it's about everyone! If you don't isolate many, many more people will die. Look at Italy, look at the rapid pace in the USA, they were both way too late. Sorry, it frustrates me.

visor, speCulatius, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  8. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

The situation is very different in Europe and here in Vietnam. We barely passed the 100 cases mark as of now while having China as a direct neighbour. Prevention and actions were taken from the very beginning back in December. I have friends in Korea too and apart Daegu where the epidemy started, everywhere and everything remained opened and running. They managed to control the spread while achieving the lowest death rate in the world and are now taken as an model by french medias as I watch them every day. In Europe, it just seems out of control...

Cheung and thyrif like this.
  9. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

It seems in South Korea they tested so many people and isolate the infected and everyone who came in contact, so it can't spread. Everyone else can then just continue as normal. Key is to know all infected. They tried this in Europe at first, but didn't test nearly enough (at least here in the Netherlands).

Next phase is limiting contact for everyone, to slow the infection rate and not have too many people be really sick at the same time (to not overload hospital capacity). This is hard. Especially if people think lightly of it (can't see it, don't understand the situation, both leed to denial). Italy, France, Greece and Spain have hard lockdowns to enforce it (and even then lots of people go outside), I'm sure we will follow soon. Morocco has the military patrolling the streets with megaphones, ordering people to stay indoors. This may be needed to get to some of our population's stupid heads.

10. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

I understand many Italians do not trust anything politicians say so they ignored the advice. I wonder who messed up their trust of politicians...hands up if you know.
    [​IMG]

With a liar, clown, buffoon or anybody that divides opinion telling a nation what to do then there are bound to be national level problems that could have easily been dealt with by a united nation far sooner. What other countries are struggling to contain the virus and what type are the current leaders? Talking of liars, clowns, buffoons and anybody who divides opinion...

Even now the message in the UK is to stay home and self isolate or distance yourself but people are seeing this as the perfect time for a day out, go see some national treasures, take a trip to the beach, basically screw up the one thing they were told to do :mad:

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Misinformation as that was old. The elite training centre which houses not only badminton but a host of other sports professionally is closed because two athletes in another sport tested positive.

12. spicychoco

spicychoco New Member

Indonesia's men's single head coach is patient under surveillance/suspect for Covid-19

13. scamp

scamp Regular Member

With regard to the UK in particular, the many people who are ignoring common sense is a sign of the time we live in - a time of selfishness, stupidity and those who think they're clever because they might be smarter than the average chimpanzee because they have a degree in cheese making or cloud recognition.

Social media, banal TV and the general dumbing down of society has bred recent generations of clueless idiots whose life revolves around soaps and 'celebrities' and being glued to their phones 24-7. Me? I'm happy to permanently isolate myself from the type who find Covid-19 amusing and go partying in defiance.

At least badminton players and sports people in general take responsibility, unlike the innumerable couch potatoes whose idea of exercise is putting new batteries in the TV remote.

darrengsaw, Sumanth99 and Ouchie like this.
  14. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Malaysia lockdown order extended till April 14, tht is 4 weeks in total.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-25 at 1.27.05 PM.jpeg

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Predictable. Expect another two weeks after that as well so well into May

speCulatius likes this.
  16. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

India in total lockdown till 14 April. With people still going outside, I guess lockdown will be extended for another 1-1.5 month.

17. slovak

slovak New Member

psychologist
    What does total lockdown means? here in Serbia we have to be at home from 17.00-5.00

18. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

French club leagues/championships at all levels, from national to regional, have been called null for the season 2019/2020. Which means no clubs will go up or down this season. That's sort of a big deal for some clubs that were almost qualified to go one league above at the end of the season but will end up staying in the same league. Only a few match days remained on the calendar for this season, so this announcement was received with much controversy in France. The matches could have been rescheduled in summer or the rankings of each league could have been frozen and used as it is standing before the lockdown, although it would have been unfair for some clubs. No solution (except rescheduling the meetings later in summer) was right on the end so the French badminton association decided to simply call the season null.

#58 LenaicM, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    speCulatius likes this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

My kid is in a government subsidized badminton training scheme - the ultimate objective of which is to find and train players that might go on to playing internationally. It stopped with the schools stopping. I happened to meet with the head coach of the program and he was very disappointed at the whole thing but also pragmatic. He just said he hopes the kids under the program can keep fit ready for when the program can restart (with the rest of society).

All badminton halls are closed. I wish I had enough money to build my own! There some private fitness gyms open as they are businesses. However, we dare not go to them as some gyms have had clusters of cases.

speCulatius likes this.
  20. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Such dedication !!

I hope & wish your kid does great things in badminton.

Cheung likes this.