Backhand Smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Budi, May 22, 2020.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Is there some kind of technique like grip position, or something to perform a backhand smash? Or some different muscle to train?

I had no problem when i want to do backhand clear/cross clear, or backhand drop/cross drop.

I cant make it dive down & fast. I feel i kinda have hard time bend my hand/arm to makes the racket face abit down & if im able to bend it, i cant generate enough power for it.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

#2 visor, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  3. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there

If you're already able to perform a good backhand clear then in theory it's not going to be a difficult step for you to further upgrade the variety of your backhand shots ie learning how to executed a good backhand smash. It's just a matter of improving further your execution and technique approach.

Similarly like preforming a good forehand smash, you also must understand that when you want to add and further improve the quality of power into your backhand smash, the other quality department in well executed smash ie validity and accuracy preferably should be mastered alread as well.

If your backhand shots having an issues in producing a 100% validity, alone a good placement, esp when doing a simple backhand drop shot or a half smash, then if you're going for a full loaded backhand smash, it is most likely that your hit will just end into the net more. Therefore before adding more power into your backhand smash, train yourself first on how to produce a consistent 100% validity with your other offensive backhand shots first ie dropshot and half smash and then gradually train by adding power into your swing and hit.

1. Contact point (the hit)

To increase the chances of a better validity outcome in your backhand shots, it's important to make sure that your racket head and birdie contact occur at it"s highest point. By doing this also, you will not just reduce the chance of striking the birdie into the net but the steepness angle of the trajectory of the birdie also will become much better.

2. Power

Assuming other requirements before executing a smash has been fulfilled ie preparation, it's important to understand that the quality of power in your backhand comes from this important factors

- prior to your swinging action, your racket arm should be situated close to your body so that to give your racket arm a better swinging arc preparation
    - while performing your swing, it is very critical that your swinging arc should start in a one smooth motion until contact has been made and then continue it further to complete as to finish it's follow through action
    - it's also vital that during contact, you hit the shuttle with a fast snapping motion with your wrist to produce a powerful flick effect. At this point, the power generated from your thumb and index finger are also important as to control your racket for stability

In summary, your wrist action and backhand swinging motion technique will hugely dictate the quality of power when you're executing your backhand hits ie smash.

There are other key point that you need to understand while executing a backhand smash

1. Balance

Since you're injecting more effort into your swing and hitting technique, there is a high chance that you will lose balance. To get better balance then make use of your non-racket arm by stretching or position it away from your body while performing your backhand smash

2. Your arm muscles should not be so tense when performing a backhand smash or otherwise it will limit your swinging action.

SS

Simeon and Budi like this.
  4. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Not at the highest point, the shuttle needs to be more out to the side for maximum power due to the biomechanics of the arm through the stroke. Also, hitting at the highest point increases the potential for elbow injuries due to hyperextension.

There are plenty of good coaching videos on YouTube, but for an overview of the stroke you could do worse than watching this chap who seems to be reasonable at it:

Asmo likes this.
  5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Contact point and trajectory are two different thing. Indeed the shuttle needs to be more out to the side because that's the path / trajectory which the shuttle needs to travel when you're performing a backhand. It's in this path that the contact needs to occur at it's highest point (as high as you can) in order to increase the chances for a better angle and steepness.

If you approach the shuttle with it's trajectory right above your head, or too close to your body then when you hit the shuttle at it's highest point with this approach, then it's likely that your forearm will end up hyper extended. That's why you need to approach the shuttle roughly a racket + arm length out to the side so that to give you more space for your forearm to be in a supination position. This forearm supination and a correct wrist action technique that will give you the necessary power in your backhand hit. To increase the chances of a better validity and angle when power has being injected during your hit, approach the shuttle at it's highest point.

Simple equation

Forearm supination + Wrist action + highest point = Power + better validity + better angle (steepness)

FeatherDance and RichF like this.
  6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Taufik is the God of Backhand, effortless and Quintessential.

7. RichF

RichF Regular Member

But there's something about his swing (I can't put my finger on it) that isn't quite textbook, that's not a criticism (obviously!) in fact it might be what gives him that extra power!

It's probably a few things that combine to produce perfection e.g. he does prepare with quite a low elbow position.

Simeon and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

And the extra accuracy as well. His ability to hit flat backhand down the line winners after being pushed to the baseline was astonishing, bamboozling.

9. RichF

RichF Regular Member

All the secrets are here

10. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    If anyone is wondering who is the Japanese kid Taufik is teaching the backhand technique to, it is Naraoka Kodai who plays the men's singles discipline.

11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Keypoint for the angle is to make the swing but let the elbow drop during the motion. This will guide the swing more downwards than parallel to the floor. You hit it more sideways and the contact point is more infront of you. I place the thumb on the bevel. You must very loose in your arm until you make contact. Don't be tense and don't force yourself to hit very hard, because this will make you tense. Don't turn your back too much to the net.

visor likes this.
  12. Vishal Vaibav

Vishal Vaibav New Member

hey bro
    check this out it actually worked out for me
    100% working