String recommendation Doura Z-Strike, Astrox 55

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Tadas Ivanauskas, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Tadas Ivanauskas

Tadas Ivanauskas Regular Member

Hello, I am new in this forum and wanted to ask for recommendations/advise on strings and tensions for couple of rackets.
    1. Doura Z-Strtike I am playing with myself at the moment strung with BG66UM at 31LBS, but I am really experiencing problem with generating power with this combination. I am quite new at playing badminton.
    2. Astrox 55 my daughter (10 years old, training everyday and participating in tournaments) is playing with strung with Aerobite Boost at 31LBS. Generally same problem - not enough power, needs lots of effort to hit long shots.

Any advise will highly appreciate.

P.S. With what I read so far in this forum I already understand that probably tension is to high, but that was advise from stringer.
    P.S.S. Maybe You can advise couple of places where I can get online LiNing No.1 stings in Europe, UK as hybrid of BG80 and No.1 sounds very interesting.

Thnx in advance.

2. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Welcome to the forum, yes it does seem that your both using far too high tension.
    I suggest something around 24lbs and build up from there if needed.
    BG80 is a hard feeling string, you would be better sticking with bg66ult in my opinion.
    I've not used Aerobite boost so can't comment on that.

Dr Vikram Varma likes this.
  3. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    Hi,

Based on what i read, pretty much 31 lbs would be too high if you can't generate power. Even i can't wield such tension too. Try with 25/26 lbs and bg66 ultimax would be a better option to pair with the tension (more repulsion and more lively compared to BG80 or aerobite boost). Aerobite boost and BG80 have similar trait, which is hard string and not so user friendly. And regarding the plan of hybrid stringing, i tried pairing BG80 with BG66 (which is pretty similar to LN No1) with expectation to get ultimate string setup (on par with aerobite boost or better) ended up becoming a flop. The hard feel is only slightly reduced and somehow feels muted. There is nothing good on those combo.

Cheers

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

4. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

There are 2 things that I wouldn't recommend for a beginner:
    1. Stiff shaft rackets like Z Strike and Astrox55. Beginner should aim for a flexible shaft IMHO.
    2. Too high tension, 31lbs is for advance elite players (just read somewhere, the Hard smasher Praveen Jordan is using 31Lbs). Beginner should aim 24lbs or under IMHO.

I have an Astrox 55 and the shaft is really stiff, although it's listed as medium. Without a proper technique and power, I would be struggling to generate power from that racket. I've been playing for 15 years now.

My main racket now is Duora 55 LCW which has a medium flexible shaft and strung with Yonex BG85 26lbs.

My wife and son (13yo), both are using Astrox 5FX's which are light weight (73gr) head heavy rackets with Hi-flex shaft strung with BG85 23lbs. They both can generate power easily for lob and smash, even sometimes my son can smash harder than me.

By your stringer recommendation, the warranty of the Astrox 55 would be voided, as the max tension of that racket is listed as 24lbs.

My recommendation is to buy a racket that's easy to use, a light weight even or slight head heavy racket with flexible shaft and strung with tension lower than 24lbs. String like bg80 has hard feeling which might not easy on your hand, use BG98 or BG66um instead which have medium feel and high repulsion trait.

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk

5. Tadas Ivanauskas

25/26 You mean mains strung at 25lbs and cross 26?

6. Tadas Ivanauskas

Hello and thnx for reply. Regarding Astrox55 daughter has chosen it from 5 rackets we took from Yonex dealer to try, but at the moment she feels much better when playing with my wife's Nanoflare700 strung at 26lbs with BG65. But I will take then again couple of rackets again to try as she is progressing really well and spends lots of time on court.

7. MoonJogger

MoonJogger Regular Member

I have nanoflare 270 which the cheaper version of nf700, and I have tried nf700 a couple of times also. These 2 rackets are really easy to use. The head is really light, the shaft is flexible for me, and the plus is lightweight. Clears are really easy with these rackets.

Or even easier, try nanoflare 600 or 160fx. Flexible shaft by yonex standard while nf700 is listed as medium.

Sent from my SM-A750GN using Tapatalk

Tadas Ivanauskas likes this.
  8. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    I meant 25 or 26 lbs... If you want to split the tension, it will be 24x26 or 25x27. But i suggest to try 24x26 first. Its kinda personal, some people liked same tension for both mains n crosses, some put 10% higher on the crosses. I personally loke to add more on the cross.

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

i really doubt a decision made by 10 years old little girl. Most likely she pick it coz of its color attract her.
    The easiest way if you dont know anything about racket for beginner, look for something cheaper, low to medium end as most of them is much more user friendly. Most high end exist & made with precision & for precision play which by all mean quite demanding. The same goes for high tension string. It kill power to get accuracy. So with stiff racket & those high tension, all power is come from player power only.

Put those racket asleep for now. Get more user friendly racket & hone your skill to get better. By the time you had the requirement to handle those 2 racket, you will find yourself wielding a beast.

If you like Yonex, here some option you might want to look at
    Astrox 7
    Astrox Smash
    Astrox FB
    Nanoflare Drive
    Voltric DG Slim series (except for 11& 21) if you like more heavy racket.

& start with 22 lbs string tension. Rise 2lbs every restring & when you start to feel struggle, lower 1 lbs & thats your tension sweet spot right now.

10. Tadas Ivanauskas

Hello and thnx for advise, trying couple of rackets and choosing one was only option at that point and maybe not the best one and really color is really nothing special off AX77 and she was happy with it and won couple of prize places for first times, but after last restring she could not hit shuttle long anymore. But I will of course try to check Your advised rackets and maybe You can suggest couple option to look from Victor or Forza brand?
    DZS is other story as I am/was advanced tennis player and liked the feel of it at the beginning and then broke springs and after restring it is really really hard to hit smashes or long shots, but i really do well with drop shots, drives, cuts. So I really want to give a try with different tensions before switching to something other (again colors is really nothing to do with it here as I like aggressive coloring normally )

11. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I have some Forza and Victor rackets, I will PM you

12. Tadas Ivanauskas

Thnx

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I suggest to keep all rackets and string them at 22lbs for all (daughter, mommy and you). Who ever strung these rackets for you and your daughter at 31lbs should loose both hands. For a beginner male and a 10 yo girl 31lbs...smh

swsh, Budi, thyrif and 1 other person like this.
  14. Budi

Budi Regular Member

if your issue arise after last restring, i guest the issue might be on the string.
    Agree with ucantseeme, restring your racket & start with 22lbs. Add 2lbs every restring if you feel it to bouncy for you till you start to feel strugle with it & lower 1lbs.

Just remember not to fall to the same old mistake that most player does.
    Using high end Racket used by pro player doesnt mean you become pro & your skill increase significantly. Unlike expensive car where you get luxury & comfort. High end racket wont give you comfort but instead will ask you for better technique & much more power to utilize it which will be rewarding if you meet the requirement.
    Just because pro player use crazy high tension & today racket can live with very high tension, doesnt mean the higher the better. Playing with 24lbs doesnt makes you amateur if you can play better & beat all of your opponent.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Speaking from own experience:

When you use high tension, regardless the string breaks or not, you need to frequent restring them every 2 to 3 weeks. That's a must, because the performance window is shorter and the string loose elasticity quicker. If you can't afford that, high tension is nothing which you should look for. If you don't have a damn solid technique and are not damn serious in badminton, high tension is not for you. I justified it for some time when I trained and played serious with 12-14 hours on court time per week. Since I got older and can be happy at best to have 6-7hours on court time per week, it don't make any sense for me to string at 30+lbs. I'm happy to use now something in the mid of 20 and get more play out of it.

16. surge

surge Regular Member

Can you post a video of your daughter playing w a 31lb string? I am really amazed!
    She must have a very good and fast swing!

17. surge

surge Regular Member

Also what did your tell your stringer that made her recommend 31lb for a 10yearold?

18. Tadas Ivanauskas

Hi, i told him that got advise not to string it so hard for 10 years old girl, he was not happy. Restring yesterday to 22/24 (same for my DZS). Tried yesterday both on training AX55 felt really reborn, easy to hit long shots and very powerful on smashes... despite played 90% with my DZS (in total 3hours) it felt strange - I mean not consistent in long shots and smashes+also hit multiple times with or close to frame which didn’t happen with AX.

P.S. regarding stringers... in our capital city there is only 2-3 stringers and I am using one from Yonex dealership, but honestly it is bit odd and probably I will need to try somebody else next time. As I well remember written 14kg on racket when I picked up it lat time, when I was asking for less tension he said it was 12, not 14. Ok maybe my memory os bad. But now I agreed that we do 20/22 for my daughter and 23/25 for my DZS, but received both rackets with 22/24. Wife was picking them up from shop and I do not have anything to say
    Daughter will try her AX55 today and if there is any interest I will post how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave1011 likes this.
  19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

abit suggestion, next time restring your racket not in the same time. Might be the stringer is just to lazy to check your request & strung the same as previous one thinking its the same person request.

We cant force the stringer to change, but well, we still able to manipulate him:p.

Like my experience when i ask for 26lbs, different stringer sometimes give different result. It might be coz of their machine is not well calibrated or due to stringer habbit (when ask 26lbs, different stringer had different number in their mind like 26/28 or 24/26). So, i adjust myself ask more or less on next restring. But if the result is still inconsistent, i will just look for other stringer. Anyway with my current stringer i use 27lbs.:D

20. Tadas Ivanauskas

Hi, my racket was just emotional purchase as I got it for really good price and wanted to try DZS, i believe i can ger rid of it for same money any time. AX55 other case-daughter tries 5-6 rackets from yonex and not 5 shots but at least 20min with each racket and chose it and was happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk