What is the Covid-19 situation like in your country? (Badminton related only)

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by LenaicM, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

We are put in totaly bad choice.
    Die by Covid or die by fat & colesterol coz we all just eat & sleep without doing much activity.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Are Badminton Academies or Sport complexes not opened yet? They are the chief source of court bookings here in India.

They were opened back on May 22 here but people have been gripped by the fear of
    Coronawirus
    so they are as empty as a desert on a hot scorching afternoon.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

badminton clubs are considered by the government in the same breath as gyms and even churches. Most badminton facilities are in leisure centres which are closed. The government are paying 80% of staff wages, and when you consider that the staff are no longer having to pay transport to work as well as potential childcare, you can see other reasons why they wouldn’t want to come back to work. In fact, they’re probably financially better off right now, than they would be on 100% wage. So everyone just sits at home and makes claims that it is not safe to open things until there is 0 cases for over a week(!!!). Obviously things will be open before that point, but no one is in speeding up the process.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

According to the Johns Hopkins database (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html) there have been around 1,8k people in the UK tested positive only yesterday. And if the numbers were still at level here in Germany, there is no chance in hell that gyms would have been reopened already. Of course a place where people are sweating and breathing heavily in the same room has a significant potential of spreading the infection and starting new infection chains that endangers the rest of the community as well. And seriously, how important is our little hit-the-birdie game looking at the big picture? In my opinion, it's one of the least important things there are and it's not worth one single person infecting and dying with Covid-19.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Given that the numbers in India are still on the rise and at around a staggering 10k per day, that's the only reasonable reaction and I highly admire the sense of responsibility shown by the Indian people by staying socially distant by their own decision.

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Well, I can understand LD rules' frustration.

If the number keeps steadily increasing even three months from now with no signs of vaccine anywhere.

How long can LD rules keep his mental health in check without experiencing things he enjoy?

After a month from now, I feel with proper safety and precautions , LD rules should be allowed to play badminton.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

And this is exactly the problem! The mentality that until the virus is completely gone, no one should do anything fun. We should all sit inside and do nothing until it is “safe” to leave our homes again. The FACTS are that COVID-19 kills less than 0.1% of people under 65 with no underlying health conditions. In fact, there is more chance of people dying in a car accident than there is from COVID-19, yet no one is banning cars. The long term effects of this are going to be horrendous. Unemployment, mental health issues (I’ve already witnessed this in people I know), missed cancer diagnoses. More lives will be lost as a direct result of the restrictions in place than will because of this “virus”. How many of the people that have died would have died anyway as the result of the common cold/flu? I’m not going to claim to be an expert, but I would say the number would be significant.

The double standards are crazy in this country too. It’s safe to work in an office, but not play singles? It’s safe to go to the supermarket, but not safe to go visit your partner if they live in a different house? Mad.

Nine Tailed Fox and samkool like this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's not about the virus completely disappearing - that is not a realistic option for many months or even years to come. And at least based on a quick google search, I haven't found any statement in that regard from any noteworthy member of the british government that they want to see literally zero cases before opening up the country again. The point is, that the number of active cases reaches a level at which the contact tracing and contact quaratining of each case can work to keep the spread under control. And please, let's not discuss mortality rates and high-risk groups. A principle of our society is that all lives matter the same so imo it's no discussion at all, that the younger generation brings sacrifices to protect the older generation to basically make them stay alive longer. "They will be dying soon anyways, so what does it matter?!" is a completely unacceptable and heartless position. And besides, there are still a number of young, fit and healthy people that were hit dramatically by the virus and have died. Statistically, it's not very likely, but does anyone really want to take chances when losing the bet can mean death? I don't, thank you.

And let's quickly recall the actual pictures from the hospital in Bergamo when they were hit by the full-on wave of this virus. Or simply look at the couple of days in which the UK goverment tried to simply push through the pandemic to quickly reach "herd immunity". I'd say it's beyond discussion that this virus is a serious threat to everybody on this planet.

#228 s_mair, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Oh lord, some people still don't understand that the main tactic is to keep the infection numbers so low to not overload the health system. The lockdown is so drastic to even buffer all people away who don't accept any rules, which is due my observation a quite high number in my enviroment. I'm in my 30's and belong to the high risk group. I never thought I could. I think we should stop here and accept that there are bigger things outside than "I, joy, fun".

sokol250, LenaicM and s_mair like this.
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

I think we should braid together what one would like to do with what is inevitable.

Vaccine won't erase the Pandemic
    https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2020/06..._content=060420-2&utm_campaign=editorial-0620

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

One unfounded theory amongst many that are circulating - fact is that nobody knows exactly what’s going to happen with vaccines. A handful of candidates are already in testing phase which I see as a positive sign. I’m an optimist, sorry, can’t help it.

And besides we are drifting far too deep into medical side of things.

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    What about 5G and NWO? (joke)

13. visor

visor Regular Member

speCulatius, kwun and s_mair like this.
  14. scamp

scamp Regular Member

It is no joke though. people will believe anything. Do proper searches and the truth will be revealed. Meanwhile some folk are playing badminton with no ill effects and zero risk.

15. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Everything has been reopened here in Delhi. Some people will follow social distancing otherwise majority of the people are not really caring. It would be wise not to go to any badminton court as things are just getting started here. Some rough graph below.

Screenshot_20200606-112426.png

16. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    [​IMG]
    nice post, bro. #spreadthetruth

[​IMG]

17. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Our current pandemic story might end with covid living happily together with us all similarily like we're living happily together with Influenza, HIV, Denggue and other type of RNA viruses that has no vaccine. Whether there is vaccine or not, that's something we just don't know yet similarly also like here in my country, I just don't know when the hell I can start play badminton indoor##@%&£

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Updates : Corona Virus hits peak in India

> 10,000 cases each day

Delhi is recording close to 1500 cases per day.

Meanwhile media is excessively focusing on the heightened tension with China.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Badminton Enthusiasts can opt for peaceful protest to open Badminton courts. Ask the local authorities about the possibilities and scope of a peaceful protest.

shooting stroke and Baddie lover like this.
  20. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Peaceful protest is an illusion ;)

sokol250 and Nine Tailed Fox like this.