Need help in choosing a badminton racket. (Ended up with Adidas Spieler P09.1)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nguyễn Tín, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Nguyễn Tín

Nguyễn Tín Regular Member

Hi everyone, I played with the Spieler P09.1 for roughly 3 hours the last couple of days, I have to say I think I have found my personal favorite racket haha. First off all, thank you all for helping me along the way, I’m super satisfied with the result.
    The racket is initially 85 grams (with plastic wrap), after stringing it with Aerobite @24 lbs and gripping, maybe fell into 88 to 90 grams territory (no plastic wrap), gripped it with Spieler grip to make a full set. It’s an even balance racket and medium stiff shaft, conventional head shape so sweetspot is smaller and a bit higher compared to my friend’s Voltric, but getting along with it well so far, not many mishits.
    I gotta say this racket has everything I look for, stable, accurate and smashing is very nice, the shuttle flies heavily. Feel is where it lacks but that’s not a problem at all, only had 3 hours with it though. Drives are quick and accurate, overhead clears (used to be a small problem for me) are now gone and improved. One downside is that sometimes my backhands are too quick and hit the shuttle with the frame, but that can be easily improved with timing and technique. Net plays are good, nothing to complain about.
    By this point, you may find it hard to believe everything about this racket is good and there’s nothing bad about it. Yes, this racket is an allrounder, can be lethal and effective in the hands of many players, but as it does everything well, nothing especially stands out and be special. Smashes and power shots are great, but can’t compete with heavy hitters like ZFII or DuoraZS, control is also good, but when thinking about this racket, control is not the aspect where it stands out from other rackets like Arcsabers or 88S. Therefore, nothing about this racket is special in any given way. But that’s not a bad thing, no not at all. This is the racket for people who don’t want any hassle in choosing a racket, or even beginners with proper technique, in my opinion, just buy a do-everything racket and slap on it a grip and a string of choice then get onto court. It doesn’t stand out, but it does everything well, this is a compromise that I can live with. I passed it around the court to my friends and elderly in my club and they all get the same impressions as I have.
    So this is my go to racket now, and I’m probably gonna get another one in case this one gives in.
    Hopefully this helps someone and please, note that it’s my words and also other people’s in my club as well. But I can guarantee that if you give this racket a chance, at least you won’t be disappointed in anyway possible haha.

what07, speCulatius, LenaicM and 2 others like this.
  2. what07

what07 Regular Member

Been lurking this thread and glad you found the racket that works. But since your exposure to rackets is limited. Why not use the funds to try out another racket

Nguyễn Tín likes this.
  3. Nguyễn Tín

Nguyễn Tín Regular Member

It's actually a very good question. I do think of this.
    My exposure to rackets is not limited though, I play at a fairly popular club in Vietnam with my friends so I can borrow anyone's racket to try it out for myself, and sometimes I can even participate in choosing a racket for a kid who just started. Maybe you meant limited fund? :oops:
    To me, I prefer to have a consistency in my gameplay, and to be frankly, I have not found another racket that suits me the most other than the P09.1, maybe in the mean time I'm saving up to buy another backup racket, I will find something else like the P09.1.

4. what07

what07 Regular Member

In an earlier post you mention this is the most expensive racket you ever own. So your experience so far could be just the hype just like love at first sight. So nothing wrong with buying a different racket to try out since its super cheap in vietnam :cool: but since you can try say every racket at the club maybe look for something else at the same time. If you have funds to buy a spare.

Its thrilling to buy a new racket every and when owning it you can set them up the way you want them to get the full experience. Ofcourse its costly if it doesn't work out but same with Tinder dates :rolleyes: