Can you help me improve my smash, please?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by s6edge, Sep 14, 2020.

1. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

Hi all,

I have no idea how to smash correctly. When I smash, should the racket be straight at 0 degree | or a little slanted \? Where is the best contact point? 11 o'clock? Please advise for this video. Thank you.

2. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    s6edge likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

It would seem that the area that would help your smash the most is your footwork. Right now you are using just your arm to smash and very little of the rest of your body, which is not correct.

The more you can use your whole body to smash, the better it will be.
    I would suggest working on your rear court footwork for a while and you will find that your smash will get a lot better.

s6edge likes this.
  4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

He is practising standing at the back already. That allows for more focus on the overhead movement.

Starting from much further forward is harder eg the centre of the court or middle of a side of the court, requires being proficient at more difficult footwork.

It may be the footwork for an exercise like that is small sideways movements at the back within one half of the court, preferably with feeds that don't push too far side to side.

s6edge likes this.
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Better if the video includes your feet.

You are meant to be more sideways on,(when you have time), but it's easier said than done!

As for where the racket points.. there is a badminton family video where on smashes, Thomas turns torso to parallel with the net on contact, and has racket pointing at 0 degrees. So straight up. It is easier to hit it straight, or where you want it, when the racket is straight up. Otherwise the point in the swing where you hit it can change the direction left/right where the shuttle goes.

s6edge likes this.
  6. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

In the video you're purely smash with just the shoulder. Try turning your body more perpendicular to the net and follow through with switching your feet and hips, that way you can generate more power.

Contact point seems a little low.

But biggest thing should be movement before the smash. IE starting in the middle of the half court and moving back to smash, because in a real game there is no way that your opponent will feed you a shuttle to smash.

Mason and s6edge like this.
  7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Exactly the point I was making