Astrox 88D

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by brrg, Oct 21, 2020.

1. brrg

brrg New Member

I just bought an Astrox 88D 4u version which I found lacking in power. Is there a way to add weight via lead tapes without sacrificing the Rotational Generator System which I found very useful

Tennyson likes this.
  2. Tabatchu

Tabatchu Regular Member

Rotational generator system is just fine BS from their marketing team. It helps them reach out to lot more people and hence increased sales. 88d 4u is a decently powerful racquet. It could be the stiffness that is not letting you generate the power. What racquet do you currently use that you are comparing it with.

#2 Tabatchu, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  3. random123xxxx

random123xxxx Regular Member

you clearly haven't used this racket before. not everything is a gimmick. the rotational generator system is present in the astrox 88d. n7ii is a fast and light racket but when I try to mavoeuver it(defence) right after a really huge smash, I find it easier using the astrox 88d, as compared to the n7ii. my skills are on point, I've been training for 5 years so do not tell me that I'm lacking any sort of skill. just because the technology doesn't sound believable, do not assume everything is a gimmick. thank you

Sent from my CPH1877 using Tapatalk

Tennyson likes this.
  4. Tennyson

Tennyson Regular Member

Good point. If RGS is a gimmick, then so does any other brands that churn out any sorta 'system'. The effects may be exaggerated but it's for all to see the difference it makes in comparison to older models be it really the RGS or Named.

5. random123xxxx

there are certain technologies that are actually gimmicks. but you can only confirm when you have used it.

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Yes RGS is there but i still agree that Yonex are the most best marketing of all compare to other brand.
    They makes simple logic of weight distribution like Trivoltage on Voltric, RGS on Astrox, & Sonic flare on Nanoflare, give them cool name & sell it like its exceptional, brand new invention, & breakthrough technology.

Back to the question.
    If you dont want to lose RGS, then do the same as how Yonex made it. Distribute your added weight properly to top frame, T joint, & handle. You definitely need to makes some trial & error when adding it till it suit your preference.

yenyesoh, LenaicM and Father Parrot like this.
  7. guantou

guantou Regular Member

how about trying ax99 in 4u? or even 88d in 3u?

boby likes this.
  8. Tabatchu

Tabatchu Regular Member

I wanted to refrain from responding as this thread is about lead tape and not RGS but you seem to be convinced that I havent used this racquet. Not sure what made you jump to that conclusion. Its not that I dont understand what you mean. 88D is a very well balanced/weight distributed racquet that moves quickly for its weight (I have the 4U). Your sample size of comparing a rotational gen...generator system (Like how Viktor Axelson said in his 100ZZ youtube video) with a non RGS racquet is very small. There are a lot of racquets on the market that do not feel their weight (Tec7/Aeronaut 9000c from the ones I currently use including the 88d). I havent used the n7ii but I have the n9ii and the turbocharging frame is not quick enough for me as well (Glad we feel the same about the turbocharging frame).

You seem to assume I was pointing towards lack of skills because I brought up stiffness. There is no rule that says the stiffer the shaft the better the player. And my skills may not be on point like yours as I am just a social club level player who happens to be a former state level player in age group badminton who trained under a national coach of an Asian county for much longer than 5 years.

What you and I think of RGS is not more important than helping someone with a question. I personally am not a fan of using lead tape. I haven't used it on 88d but I had my share of experimentation with my older racquets. To me it just added to the confusion and I worried more about the racquet than enjoying the game. If you are taking the lead tape route I suggest to begin with small weights not more than 2 grams.

9. random123xxxx

i think partial of your comment isnt meant for me ..

10. missclicked

missclicked Regular Member

Change to string to repulsion type strings and perhaps try to lower -2 lbs from your current tension

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

11. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

@brrg
    Lead tape is not a good idea, in my own experience, adding of adding various weight to the top of the racquet does not add power, but it alters the swing weight and swing dynamics of the racquet in a horrible inconsistent manner (have tried objects ranging from metal wire, to heavier grommet / grommet strips).

Instead, I would recommend lightening the handle end of the racquet by removing the factory wrap (which weighs 10-13g thereabouts) and using an overgrip (5-6g) over bare wood, this never fails and leverages the balance point in your favor for power generation. Note also that 4U rackets are not ideal for power generation, assuming player strength is not a limitation, the heavier the racket, the more it scales according to the amount of force generated.

@Tabatchu
    The Astrox 88D is not a stiff racket by any means, I think stiffness here (or lack thereof) is a point worth discussing, but the confusion is understandable from Yonex fudging specification charts and descriptions along with human behavior and sheep mentality until one realizes what is going on by exhaustive testing and personal experience. It makes no sense when Yonex catalogues and retailers list an Astrox88D, Arcsaber11, ZF2 and Nanoray Z-Speed all as stiff / extra stiff when the reality is only shown on certain racquet matrix's, before fudging.

(Stiffness is on the X-Axis, which reads Flexible <------------------>Stiff)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To date, the stiffest Yonex racket, is still the Nanoray Z Speed by a mile, followed by the Duora Z Strike ; everything else is flexible.
    The difference between a 2U, 3U and 4U racket also translates to around 1.5m of shot distance and vast differences in smashes.

More on power generation and racket design from an owners perspective:
    https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...lexible-4u-racket-anyone.187346/#post-2793385

Tabatchu likes this.
  12. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Example of a 'fudged' chart which is a joke.
    -Using the Nanoray800 as a reference point, before A88D<NR800
    -Now, suddenly, the Astrox88D's stiffness is A88D > NR800 and almost on par with the Z-Speed, what the heck.

Badminton Bay BS.jpg

Tabatchu likes this.
  13. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The issue here is that stiffness dont have standard rating & measurement method.
    Some brand say stiff or flex, some say 3/5 or 5/5, some other say 8.0 or 9.0.
    If you for example use 88D shaft. Put a light head frame so it become HL racket, it will feel quite stiff, but when you put a very head frame & it become HH racket, the very same shaft will feel quite flex.

Tabatchu likes this.
  14. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

When comparing Yonex racquets amonst themselves, I do believe that Yonex has a standardized rating & measurement method, its just the fact that they've never officially released the raw data like torsion flex numbers to us, and we merely see glimpses of it on some of their racquet matrix charts, while the descriptions of stiff on all racquets are meaningless. Those charts above actually translate quite accurately to real life if you have the opportunity to own a range of them and do extensive testing for yourself.

Tabatchu likes this.
  15. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Lack in power on every shots or only smashes?

16. Father Parrot

Father Parrot Regular Member

A 4u 88D provides plenty of power in the rear court though for some it may be harder to access. You'd be better off refining your technique and developing your strength a bit more to get used to the 88D.

17. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Can't you just add some lead tape to the butt end of the grip?

18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Do you mean to the head? Adding weight to the handle doesn't do anything.

On a side note about yonex racquet matrix. I wish they would just publish a standard, most up-to-date matrix that everyone uses. Right now if someone tries to google yonex racquet matrix they get a million different versions of it. This is on top of the problem that the matrix is rarely a true representation of how a racquet feels.

19. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

He was asking about adding lead tape to the head while still maintaining the rotational generator system. Can't you just add some lead tape to the head as well as the butt end?

I often use the Korean style grip where they build up the butt end like a baseball bat, and when I sometimes build it up too much I did notice that the racket head recovers a bit faster despite being heavier overall, kind of like how the RGS is described.

20. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

I wish that were the case too, but unfortunately, Yonex has its own conflicting interests to deal with too for obvious marketing reasons. The best, most concise charts with little to no fudging are the ones from their badminton catalogues with respect to racquets being in their debut year / month ; as time goes on, the charts become fudged, so much so to the point that they now release multiple charts limited to a particular family (Voltric / Astrox / Nanoray / Arcsaber) for like to like comparsion.

No such thing, try doing from baseline to baseline in an actual game:
    -A cross court smash
    -Backhand cross court clear
    -Deep forehand corner drive
    You will find quickly find out that even a basic straight smash done from baseline to baseline, or backhand clear lacking, and please remember that short retrievals don't count, or using faster speed shuttles to compensate. Most likely your opponents will be having a field day at counterattacking these feeble attempts.

There is a reason why Carsten Morgensen and a few other select Yonex players get custom racquets like a 3U Flashboost, along with Cai Yun stating point blank that Li-Ning player racquets are all custom. It is also especially rare to see any 4U racquets on tour, majority, if not all in the top 10 are 3U+ (at the higher end of 3U I suspect if anyone weighed them).

See - https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...icial-visit-report.143501/page-6#post-2254714