Toyota THAILAND Open 2021 (S1000) : R/32-FINAL (19-24 January)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 18, 2021.

1. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Ladies and gents, our 2021 Sho Sasaki moment is here !

Viktor's backhand completely seperates the racket, breaking from the cone!
    That whip man, LOL

[​IMG]

j4ckie likes this.
  2. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

it is definitely not only the whip, but more of the faulty racket

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

He won Aussie SS as well.

4. BojepJoe

BojepJoe Regular Member

Unemployed
    No, LCY v Ginting.

5. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Axelsen playing with his fake racket...

Bigbag likes this.
  6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

so Malaysia 9 reps whittled down to 3 and by Finals day , .....

7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

In my country, people think that the racket with code JP will have good quality than other codes. This can be a mystery from sellers (buy JP code racket and sell it with double price to domestic market)

Viktor used DK code and Ginting used SP (or IN) code. So that I think it's a mystery.

And you know what, Viktor broke his racket by his backhand will make the mystery become bigger, someone will use it for their purpose

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

SEMIFINALS (11.00am) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...0B8FA6-D156-42C9-B383-13C50BB71762&d=20210123

upload_2021-1-22_21-55-30.png

• Without JPN and CHN attendance, three Danish MS players in semifinal of S1000 tournament underscore their srong signal towards Thomas Cup 2021.
    • Anders Antonsen and Sameer Verma present a really entertaining match, showing their persistence to win semifinal ticket. 2019 World Championships silver medalist has advantage in excellent net shots and placing while the India is a good attacking player. Second and third game deliver thrilling atmosphere when both shuttlers apply to play safe and avoid unforced error, it's Antonsen who pushes Verma into the baseline then directing shuttlecock into deep forehand at front area and delivering final four spot.
    • Another fascinating plot saw Hans Kristian Vittinghus prevails over Lee Cheuk Yiu who has trouble to break Danish veteran strong defense instead of smashing wildly. A controversy decision has been made by Italian umpire at crucial stage, 19-19 to award match point for Vittinghus despite his racket touches the net, the frustrated Lee can't handle this situation well and lost 19-21. With this result, Anthony Ginting is qualified for next week World Tour Finals.
    • Big match tomorrow will pit Viktor Axelsen and Chou Tien Chen, their last meeting occured in All England Final last year, a worrying sign for Taiwanese fans as former World Champion won 10 times of 12 encounters.
    • A disappointing of most anticipated WS quarterfinal clash that turns to be one way traffic duel, reigning World Champion looks helplessly as home favourite Intanon controls the match completely plus thanks to her opponent gifted points. Top-seed Tai Tzu Ying doing her routine to beat Michelle Li although the Canadian took opening game but can't balance the Taiwanese technical skil and superb stamina in next two games. A rematch of intriguing An Se Young-Carolina Marin showdown will be underway after they overcome Chochuwong and the inspiring Turkish player Neslihan Yigit respectively in relatively casual fashion.
    • The Daddies through to semis, displaying their brilliant tactic, one two shots to kill the shuttlecock that ruin Lane/Vendy confidence to develop their gameplan. The Indonesians will find stern test tomorrow, last week champion Lee Y/Wang CL. Malaysian number one pair Aaron Chia/Soh WY redeem their losing to fellow countrymen Goh VS/Tan WK last week and have the in-from Indian combination to tackle for a place in final, Rankireddy/Shetty.
    • Polii/Rahayu will meet arch-rival Lee SH/Shin SC in two consecutive weeks, stamina testing whether they still have strong endurance in semis. Kim/Kong have learn their narrow defeat last week, this time the Koreans tame Kititharakul/Prajongjai in two straight-games, 21-15 / 21-13 and will up against MAS representatives Chow MK/Lee MY.
    • Three of mixed doubles quarters matches completed in three games with high intensity. Strong contenders Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai show their status, losing 27-29 Thai duo are unfazed to keep going and find the formula to subdue Ko SH/Eom HW. Meanwhile Chan PS/Goh LY lost narrowly to the lower-ranked opponent, Rankireddy/Ponnappa. Earlier on court 2, 6th seed Faizal/Widjaja can't hold their nerve in two critical moments, lost to MAS underdogs, Hoo PR/Cheah YS, 21-12 / 19-21 / 19-21.

It'sMeMeMe and Woesi like this.
  9. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

Hi all, one question: Is it correct that last year the real Morton Frost was writing here, asking for our suggestions? Is he still? Because I have to say: I am so glad that Badminton is finally back with tournaments. But at the same time I am quite annoyed. This is the most beautiful sport to watch and so much of the dynamics, speed, athleticism and beauty is taken away by the horribly high camera position :-( Some tournaments get it right, e.g. the All England. They produce so much better pictures. I mean I have seen even worse camera positions, especially in Asian tournaments, but now we have 3 weeks in a row worldclass badminton in Thailand and it doesn`t look as amazing as it could. These pictures won`t bring many new fans to badminton. So I really hope, @Morten Frost Hansen will read this. Because he might be in a position to pull attention to this and have changes being made!

Pagz, nizze, visor and 1 other person like this.
  10. lurker

lurker Regular Member

it also depends on the venue layout
    not all hv that 'particular height' for tv camera placement

visor likes this.
  11. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

Ok, fair point. If you ask me, in such cases they should just place the camera on court height, directly behind the court. That should also be possible and in my opinion looks spectacular. But for some reason that doesn`t seem to be an option.

12. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

esppy and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Satwik/Chirag vs Ong/Teo Highlights

14. lurker

lurker Regular Member

A-boards and sponsor's placement visibility

15. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Singapore Open is one of THE WORST, if not the worst.

Bird's eye view court color is more washed out than net pole view as well.
    Also doesn't help most top players skip this event if possible, and is always placed the last of the back to back South East Asian leg.
    Mostly the last of 3 and one year, in the first year WTS was introduced, the last of FOUR (4!!!) events. Msia, Thai, Indo all before it.
    Heck.

16. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Yes Axelsen knew he was gonnna win that match anyway where he did that thing. If you look at the VA vs Jonatan Christie match in french open 2019 in early G3 there was a similar situation benefitting Axelsen and that time he did not give away the next point because the score was too close.

skhai91, Yoji, Woesi and 4 others like this.
  17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The Indian team decided to have the singles players share rooms. The BWF has nothing to do with that decision. The Danes (at least the singles players) all have single rooms afaik, because their association decided to spend the money just to be safe.

Woesi, Sumanth99 and Bardie like this.
  18. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

Wow...that was a brutally bad call by the umpire on Lee Cheuk Yiu. They really should have video review of service and net incidents. Yeah, karma's a bitch and I guess over the course of a career, you get your fair share of ups and downs.

I'm really interested to see if Vittinghus will talk about this in his podcast, and whether he will admit he knew he touched the net in the moment, and what his rationale for playing on was. At a crucial and tight stage, both players understandably need every point they can get. Good or bad call. It is their means of whether they stay in the tournament or not.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

He was being a whiny c**t about net situations all match long, questioning almost every net kill by Vittinghus...will never understand ppl like that. Same with PVS today. Why are you all thinking nobody could possibly kill your net shot?
    Just as annoying as the people who get outraged about every blocked net kill, even when it doesn't hinder their racket motion whatsoever.

Silver lining of the situation is that at least he didn't seem to hold it against HKV

#239 j4ckie, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Sumanth99 likes this.
  20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm a bit curious about that as well. I've been in situations where I didn't notice touching the net at all (or slightly touching a shuttle passing me, either with the racket or clothes), but it was mega obvious from outside, and in other situations the pressure of the competition and the behavior of the opponent tempted me quite strongly not to admit it when I noticed something.
    The situation is a bit different here though, since there's umpires responsible for the decision - and I personally won't fault a player for an umpire's mistake, and this is different from football (soccer) where the referee can actually ask players what happened and they're supposed/required to tell the truth...
    I'd support a level of video evidence as is available in the NFL, where almost any kind of decision can be challenged with video proof, but the required infrastructure is not insignificant and I doubt the BWF will adopt such a model anytime soon, not least because it would require some sort of software tool for some referee to be able to look at different video shots of the scene and make a judgement - and that's just asking for bugs, errors and the like, and I have little confidence they'd be able to implement something with a satisfying quality.
    Sorry, BWF, but your track record isn't that great.

samkool likes this.