Toyota THAILAND Open 2021 (S1000) : R/32-FINAL (19-24 January)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 18, 2021.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That was hilarious. Especially that he won not only the point, but the entire match with that shot.... :D

#241 j4ckie, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    esppy likes this.
  2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    don't hold your breath. this is bwf we're talking about.

3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    setiawan on monday v ellis/langridge:

Martynas likes this.
  4. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    true, if spectators are inside. since there are no spectators you can anchor the cameras anywhere you want to. it all depends if the production team is willing to put in extra effort to do it.
    if spectators were in the house it would interfere with their view. also, court height is too low. the players would block the view of short serves and net drops.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

But who needs to see the shuttle all the time when the overall viewing experience can be improved massively? A flatter perspective from a slight side angle gives a much better idea of the athleticism and speed involved, the high angle is good for coaches and analysts but the average viewer is neither of those...

Sirppi and Badmintonmag like this.
  6. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

This looks amazing too me. Plus the Sound is so much better. I need the full metallic Sound when the shuttle is being Hit. Pretty weak Sound here in Thailand as well.

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the avg. non-hardcore fan viewer.
    true, but video cameras diffuse speed, athleticism and depth of field in all sports. some of the tournaments have shown floor level angles and i keep thinking 'it doesn't look like they're smashing it that hard' when i know they're absolutely crushing the shuttle.
    it's the below avg. viewer you need to cater to.

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Players are just so soft these days. Seeing Ginting took photos with LCY or vice versa. we need rivalries. Taufik will never take photos with LD when they were young.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I don't know if you have some sort of statistic you're drawing this from, I don't and I assumed that average/casual viewers get a better idea of the speed and athleticism from flatter angles. I know I do. Best would be several perspectives to switch between, I really liked the videos someone took of LCW at the Japan Open for example. The constant and unchanging high perspective makes it uninteresting and distant. Someone floor level would put the size of the athletes into perspective as well, they look much smaller in the usual perspective (I wasn't aware that many of the MD players are over 1,80m tall, for example, as they looked more like 1,70 in the loveless standard BWF footage).
    The one thing I really can't criticize very much at all about the broadcasts though is the casting - Steen, Morten and Gill are great. Especially the Morten/Gill combo. That other guy at this tournament is pretty clueless and not much better than white noise tbh.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I mean there's a currently active MD player that many will argue displays the worst behavior of all time and seems to create rivalries as soon as he imagines someone touching a shuttle, I'm not getting the 'soft' angle
    Although he does look soft in the sense of never having to back up his mouth outside the court, so maybe that's what you mean

The rivalries will emerge when several elite players vie for titles. Right now there are few because most disciplines are dominated either by one player/combination or no one at all, so there's no clear story lines. If VA can keep up his current seemingly dominant form, maybe he'll develop one with Momota. The rest of the MS field seems off the pace rn.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah , thats what badminton is lacking IMO. especially in MS where its the premier discipline.

Theres no love lost when Minions play LiLiu in MD, thats what i want to see (well there are gulfs of different in titles but they are basically the top 2 if you take AhsanHendra out)

In WS, TTY will never take photos with CYF i hope. Of coure TTY vs Intanon today is currently the most H2H in terms of (active) numbers but i dont get the sense of rivalries. If one doesnt have sense of rivalries, then its either the player dont care or they just won anything too easily (which wont be good for the sports). I dont think Marin is hostile to anyone but at least, i see that competitiveness that fire i guess, that no nonsense approach. She will show that edge whether you are ranked 1 or ranked 100.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Remember the Hawkeye? We (fans and players) complained about bad line calls in the forum for a number of years and finally BWF relented ..... so never say never.

And who can forget the video reviews in field hockey and VAR in football now. FIFA used to say the referee's decision is final .... otherwise Maradona might not have won the '86 World Cup.

Even courts have appeals ......

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  13. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i'm not claiming it will never happen. the ibf (int'l badminton federation, before house cleaning to become bwf) considered hawkeye in 2005 when tennis started using it. it only took 9 years for bwf to finally implement it in 2014... and only recently we see it on more than 1 court. rio 2016 was the first time it was on all courts.

so inhale now if you dare... :D

soulpx and j4ckie like this.
  14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Like I said, it would happen eventually .....

Will never bother to hold breath on this ..... except for toxic fumes.

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Come on LeeWang 50 bucks on you,

16. AYearOnTour

AYearOnTour Regular Member

Dear Yoji,

I'm quite disappointed to see you spreading things like this as if I'm saying something disrespectful to him, when you have absolutely no idea what is being said in the full conversation between Lee and myself.

There was ZERO bad blood between the two of us - and of course he does not deserve a bad call on 19-all just because he was lucky on another occasion. I told him I felt bad for him, he took it like a man saying not my fault, we exchanged a few polite words back and forth and we both laughed about how similar the situation was to the one in the HK Open final - not that he deserved it or it was exactly the same.

I even spoke to Lee for 10-15 minutes after the match and there is nothing but respect between the two of us. It was an amazing match with lots of close calls and unfortunately a wrong one at a very important point, but he would not have given me the point had it been the other way around, nor should I.

I hope you will refrain from stating something as a fact in the future, when what you're saying and implying is not based on the full story and you do not know if it is in fact a fact!

17. AYearOnTour

Dear Dangho,

Please see my reply to Yoji above this one as well - you can't even hear half of what is being said between us.

18. AYearOnTour

You (and everyone else) can hear my thoughts on in on my latest podcast: https://vittinghus.podbean.com/ or just search for Vittinghus on any podcast platform and it will show up.

I'm off - I have a match to prepare for now :D

19. wade

wade Regular Member

Lol hendra got a taste of his own medicine there

20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

what is there to spread ? you seem to write much longer than me.